Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 AM

24,517 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

I thought hot water dispenser and coffee maker was the cat's meow. Used it a couple of times. No, I do not need the fridge to tell me what to shop and when to shop. Try visualizing a glitch - what will you do with 12 cartons of eggs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
People who said this was "technology for the sake of technology" probably never been in a situation when they were at a grocery store trying to remember if there were any eggs left in the fridge. I personally could get a lot of use from this technology, especially, if I could have a pantry similarly equipped with sensors or cameras. This would make writing shopping lists obsolete and I could go on an unplanned grocery shopping trip on my way from work, without fear that I'd forget to buy something important.
Of course, I would never buy a fridge for 6k, but I hope one day in not so distant future this will become common and much cheaper. I think the biggest question would be effective use of space. This fridge is so big, I would need to buy a new house first . But if it is smaller and food is cramped, like it is in my fridge, which is probably only half the size of this one, will the cameras work? What are the other ways we can keep track of food quantity? Sensors on shelves? I wouldn't mind that: my husband always complains about my lack of systematic approach when I put stuff in the fridge and he might have a point.

Technology often keeps us organized in life, why not in the kitchen too?
Not *us*, you perhaps but not in our home. We do not rely on technology for organization of our lives.
Technology is a wonderful thing when it works properly. When it does not work it is useless and the mere fact that we have had much success before pagers, cell phones and computers is more reason to rely on ourselves rather than a hand held device.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
All that's gonna break.
For a few grand more, buy a Subzero. Last you 30+ years.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
The grocery stores will now be hiring hackers to get into the fridge's computer. Hope you have a huge freezer! A side of beef takes up an awful lot of space. ;-)

Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
- the security issues are real and should not be overlooked.
As it's Samsung product that concern is not that great. There is lot of smaller companies or well known non-tech companies that have put these products on the market and they simply do not have the people like Samsung for R&D.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
This thing is ridiculous. We were out refrigerator shopping and settled on a Samsung model (out of box) but after reading online reviews of it we cancelled delivery. Basically Samsung is trying to up the game and that means a lot of new unproven technology that isn't a question of it will break but when. This specific fridge we purchased had an area that could be used as fridge or freezer. Well they used some new technology that wasn't quite refined yet so many customers complained about major issues with it. Basically most Samsung/LG refrigerators are very unreliable. For TVs they are good, just not for appliances

Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post

Technology often keeps us organized in life, why not in the kitchen too?
You are often just moving the complications in particular when something like this breaks. Are you going to have a fully operational refrigerator that doesn't work because the touchscreen stopped working ten years from now? The electronic parts for these appliances can be ridiculous for the cost to the point where it's not even worth fixing them.

Besides that's not the way I shop for food. I go to the store about every 5 days and I look for the sales.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Basically most Samsung/LG refrigerators are very unreliable.
We have an LG that is about 4 or 5 years old, something went wrong with it when it was about 1 year old. Not sure exactly what but based on what I have read there was something that controls the cycle that was frozen. We let it sit for about 6 hours unplugged and there has been no issues since then. The only complaint I have is the frost free cycle drops the temperature too low and some of the food starts getting unfrozen. I don't think that is LG's fault but is the result of EPA regs, they use a longer cycle to increase efficiency,

Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 AM

953 posts, read 842,792 times
I have liked Samsung products for quite some time, but that refrigerator is over-the-top.

When something goes wrong, will the touch screen display the following message:

"Technology overload ... for your safety, stay 30 feet away ... 10 second countdown until my innards explode."

"Samsung thanks you for your purchase. Please come back and visit us real soon when you have more $$$ to burn."

Old 05-01-2016, 08:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Just saw this at Home Depot today. Was skeptical, but watched the product demo - pretty snazzy. Matter of fact I think I want one . It's 6 grand. Yes. Six thousand American dollars. I actually think it's a great idea. Samsung is stepping up their game.

You can order groceries from the door of Samsung's new fridge
If I won $100 million in the lottery I would consider getting one, otherwise no. If I won $1 million I would pass on this gimmicky fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House