Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:28 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If I were you I'd tell the buyer that GFCI's weren't required in kitchens of homes built in 1984 (they weren't required until '87).
So, if they want GFCI's (should require 2- one for each circuit) in the kitchen they can have them installed their selves; or pay you for the install.

Here's a prime example of private inspectors not paying attention- they absorb themselves in present code and forget that all homes weren't built last year!
Problem is the one in the bathroom doesn't seem to be working. I would have to get a licensed electrician in to replace that one so might as well "upgrade" the kitchen one. A sort of goodwill I suppose.

I would do it myself but alas it has hit the inspection stage so I doubt they would want a DIY job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Step 1: Kill power.
Step 2: Remove old outlet.
Step 3: Install new outlet.
Step 4: Restore power.

It's not rocket science.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Problem is the one in the bathroom doesn't seem to be working. I would have to get a licensed electrician in to replace that one so might as well "upgrade" the kitchen one. A sort of goodwill I suppose.

I would do it myself but alas it has hit the inspection stage so I doubt they would want a DIY job.

The only reason to not do it yourself would be a lack of confidence or electraphobia. The bathroom is just a matter of like for like- just make sure the line wires go to "line" and load wires go to "load". I've seen several that were reversed because people weren't paying attention.

The kitchen could be a bit more complicated for the typical DIY'er. But again, for a house built in '84- they're not "required".

Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
The issue now is me DIY vs licensed electrician. Buyer and inspector is already aware of issue so I'm certain they would want a licensed electrician to install.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
How would they know who does the work? Besides, they can't really mandate how you satisfy their inspection concern. Just tell them you will agree to take care of it. The rest is none of their business. I don't know of any jurisdictions where you need an electrician to replace an outlet.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I run into this all the time and have to remind the inspector that code is constantly evolving and in my city... un-altered wiring in compliance when the certificate of occupancy is NOT a code violation.

That said... I would rather give a credit for $25 a GFCI and let the buyer deal with it... just to make it go away.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
The issue now is me DIY vs licensed electrician. Buyer and inspector is already aware of issue so I'm certain they would want a licensed electrician to install.

Damn dude, enough already. You keep saying the same $hit over and over again....just get an electrician to do it then, and be done with it.

16 posts about your DIY insecurities isn't going to get the job done.

Jeezus.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

I don't know why you keep harping on this. Replacing an outlet IS a DIY job. Most people do this themselves. Absolutely no justification for anyone to say that an electrician is required. None. If you are convinced that you are not able to figure it out (it's really simple though...can't imagine why anyone would NOT do this themselves) then just pay an electrician.

Seriously.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Replacing the one in the bathroom is child's play. Do it and be done with it.

The kitchen however, is a different story. You can't just replace the outlet with a GFCI one. You'll also have to replace the breaker and switch to a GFCI one too. That is a bit more involved, and unless you understand electricity very well, I would not recommend most people doing this.

The mere fact that you're here asking this question tells me that you shouldn't be doing it. Replace the bathroom outlet, and give a $100 credit for the kitchen. The GFCI breaker alone will cost around $40-50.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuTS9I_d_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FUbhTv21w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House