Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:23 PM

337 posts, read 423,786 times

Advertisements

Hot water heater is a year old and would like to drain it annually. A plumber told me to unplug it and let the heating element cool off and shut off the water supply. Then he said drain it till its empty. He told me to shut the cold water feed so it doesn't shock the exposed heating element and crack it. Is this the proper way to do it? I couldn't imagine draining a boiler with the water on. Any experience on doing this and frequency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
find the make and model of the unit. Go online and see if the manufacture of the unit has a recommended method and interval. I try my best to always find the manufactures recommendation first before just following someone else method. Usually if dealing with a professional, the two instructions will closely match (may not be identical but close enough).

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
You are on NYC filtered water. There is no reason for you to drain it yearly as you don't have hard water or heavily mineralized water. If you just replaced it a year ago, hopefully you spent the extra few dollars to have the electronics controls on top of the unit and the internal fan on the bottom. But if you feel you must do some draining, connect a hose to the bottom spout and let out only a few gallons which will let out some supposed sentiment. There is no need to empty the entire tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mz3eFYQbc

Old 05-07-2016, 09:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are on NYC filtered water. There is no reason for you to drain it yearly as you don't have hard water or heavily mineralized water. If you just replaced it a year ago, hopefully you spent the extra few dollars to have the electronics controls on top of the unit and the internal fan on the bottom. But if you feel you must do some draining, connect a hose to the bottom spout and let out only a few gallons which will let out some supposed sentiment. There is no need to empty the entire tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mz3eFYQbc

This^^^

Old 05-08-2016, 04:47 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
....if you feel you must do some draining, connect a hose to the bottom spout and let out only a few gallons which will let out some supposed sentiment. There is no need to empty the entire tank.
Thanks for this...why didn't I think of that? Any sediment would be on the bottom, which would of course come out first.

Sometimes the simplest things just fly over my head. lol

Old 05-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Yes many people don't flush it once in a while. Considering i do have NYC water from what i hear its still good to do once a blue moon. My fathers hot water heater busted a few years ago due to buildup of sediment but he lives in a place with very hard water. It extends the life. It really is more important to do if you have hard water.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:04 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
Slightly on topic because i had no idea you could drain it in the first place....can you do this to find a leak as well?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Slightly on topic because i had no idea you could drain it in the first place....can you do this to find a leak as well?
Not many people know this. Look for a spigot on the bottom but make sure to read the manual first and be careful. Follow directions that come with manual or you can screw the whole thing up. be careful WATER IS HOT.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
To extend the life of your water heater, make sure you don't let the anode rod completely dissolve.. check it right when you move into a not new house, it will likely need replacing.. then check the new one in 2 years or so... if it's still in great shape you can check it again at the 5 year mark.... replace it at 5 years to be safe, but in some cases if you have good water they can go a decade.

A magnesium rod provides the best protection but will dissolve faster in hard water. An aluminum rod and might withstand hard water better.. get one that has a small amount of zinc in as well.

A gas water heater with a regularly replaced anode rod should last a long time. I have an "AO Smith" gas heater installed in the home I bought.. installed by a local place.

There is no need to completely flush the tank every year.. maybe every 5 years.. I flushed my 10 year old one and stuff did come out during the refill process but not a whole lot. Replaced the anode rod which was maybe half eaten up. No idea of previous owners did anything, I'm assuming not.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
I drain the whole thing - with the water and electricity off, hook a hose to the bottom & open a couple hot spigots upstream to allow air inside..

I drain mine fully & theres a measurable amount of schmutz that comes out at the end.

Dont turn the power back on until you've allowed the unit to fill by running the hot faucets to purge the air.

The tales you were told about cracking the tank or leaving the water on arent credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House