Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

A few months ago we replaced the plastic toilet seats and lids that came with our apartment with solid wood ones. Among other reasons, we wanted something solid so that when you shut the lid, you can sit on it if, you know, you need to sit down without actually using the commode. I'm <150# but it still seemed to me that the old plastic lid couldn't support my weight when seated.

So the new wooden seat has solved that problem, but introduced a new one. When I lift the seat to pee, I have to be very, very careful to position it in the upright position without imparting the slightest additional force tankwards. Otherwise it will rebound and slam down hard enough on the porcelain to bounce a few times when it lands. Besides the fact that this drives me nuts, I'm concerned that the bowl itself could crack, or some other kind of damage could appear. I know next to nothing about the sturdiness of toilet bowls, but given that it's basically a big piece of china, and china can break, I need to ask about this.

AFAIK there's not much I can do by way of adjustment, other than taking the lid off the tank. Probably the hardware that came with the seats wasn't entirely suited to the commodes we have, and there's not really any give that would allow you to move the seat forward.

Thank you all

We Who Squirm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
It may or it may not break the toilet. Your situation is why they invented soft close toilet seats and lids. Considering that they are now under $40, may want to invest in one.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Is the cover to the tank seated on the tank correctly? If it's too far forward it won't let the cover sit back enough. But the tank cover will look like it's on there right

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
From all that I have read, most all plastic toilet seats can handle 200 pounds easily.

The one's you bought most likely need to be adjusted or they're the wrong ones.

Can they break any part of the toilet ??

Yes, from continually slamming down.

Whatever you do, keep the old one's since this is an apartment.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Just for my curiosity - why would you want to sit on the pot with the lid down?

We moved to pull up for cleaning no slam and they are great. We have chairs to sit on.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
I installed soft close seats on all of my toilets. Drop the seat or lid and it takes about 15 seconds to hit bottom, you can't even hear them land.
The first two came with the Toto toilets I purchased, and I liked them so much I purchased two more for the standard toilets in the two guest bathrooms.
Toto SoftClose Elongated Closed Front Toilet Seat in Cotton-SS11401 - The Home Depot
This ad shows for elongated bowl, but they make them for round bowls also..
If you purchase one, buy it from Toto, not HD
http://www.totousa.com/products/seats

Last edited by Nayabone; 04-26-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 PM

248 posts, read 342,662 times
We had oak toilet seats at our old house for 10 years...plenty of slamming them down with three boys in the house. None of the bowls cracked. But, do be careful if there are young/not tall boys in the house, we did have a couple of those accidents . No fun.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Just for my curiosity - why would you want to sit on the pot with the lid down?

We moved to pull up for cleaning no slam and they are great. We have chairs to sit on.
If your toilet is close to tub, you might sit on the closed lid while bathing a child. Or while shaving your legs. Lots of reasons.

Anyway, plus one to the soft close toilet seats. They stay up when you want them up and then close with a simple push down while you walk away and never hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House