Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Did you read through this-

https://www.vbgov.com/government/dep...idential).aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:09 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeerkatMama View Post
Thanks everyone for your help!

I was doing more research and found a link that had basically what I was looking for. Some of this applies to us, as we're having to redo work that was done long before we owned the property and in no way could have ever passed inspections of any era. Still wondering how it passed inspection when we purchased it, but I digress. Can we get a building permit after a room addition was built by a contractor? (Home Builders - Homes Home Appraisal)

I basically gathered from that to hire an architect to act almost as your lawyer of sorts, so that you don't run into too many problems. I think we'll go that route.
I would not worry too much about prior work. Typically they can't begin harping on existing issues. I used to do tons of hvac and electrical on Chicagos North Shore. Very struck building codes, some will still not allow PVC for DWV piping. I was rewiring a bathroom remodel with new all the way from the panel. When the inspector showed up he saw some knob and tube wiring in the attic still in use. He says he wants that all replaced! It was not even part of the remodel work. I asked him where I should start and stop replacing it and I guess he got as confused as I had hoped and said to forget about it this time.

Good luck. As others said, just go in and ask for all the forms. Off the top of my head my best guess is that you will have around ten inspections during the course of the job

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
I would not worry too much about prior work. Typically they can't begin harping on existing issues. I used to do tons of hvac and electrical on Chicagos North Shore. Very struck building codes, some will still not allow PVC for DWV piping. I was rewiring a bathroom remodel with new all the way from the panel. When the inspector showed up he saw some knob and tube wiring in the attic still in use. He says he wants that all replaced! It was not even part of the remodel work. I asked him where I should start and stop replacing it and I guess he got as confused as I had hoped and said to forget about it this time.

Good luck. As others said, just go in and ask for all the forms. Off the top of my head my best guess is that you will have around ten inspections during the course of the job
Knob and tube. I hoped they replaced it. Everything I run into these days is flaking nits insulation if it had any to begin with. Im not picky but this can and probably will be a issue.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
If the garage and house are completely unconnected now, you may have an issue as if you attach something solid between them, they have to have the same footings, which often, with a Detached garage, they will not. It may or may not come up.

Personally, I would just call the permit office in your municipality and ask them. My experience is in most places they would rather help someone ahead of time to avoid having to go through problems elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
My experience is in most places they would rather help someone ahead of time to avoid having to go through problems elsewhere.

That is sooooo far from the truth here in the metro ATL-
The typical building/permit office personnel are stupid, lazy, incompetent government workers. When the general question is asked- the reply is usually "go to our website"; or while handing you a sheet of paper, "here's the list". And if you can actually speak with an inspector, don't expect too much advice. They're there to "inspect" projects- not tell you how to build them! Besides, most are not engineers- so they're not risking their name or job.

Like I previously stated; that's why I don't deal with that S#!T anymore- I pay someone to "waste" time!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:00 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Oh I definitely wouldn't expect too much advice ahead of time in engineering or architecture specifics. And definitely some places are jerks about it, but if they are smart, they will at least have the basics of what's required listed in a place on their website or offer the advice or they just waste their own time later on.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM

436 posts, read 520,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That is sooooo far from the truth here in the metro ATL-
The typical building/permit office personnel are stupid, lazy, incompetent government workers. When the general question is asked- the reply is usually "go to our website"; or while handing you a sheet of paper, "here's the list". And if you can actually speak with an inspector, don't expect too much advice. They're there to "inspect" projects- not tell you how to build them! Besides, most are not engineers- so they're not risking their name or job.

Like I previously stated; that's why I don't deal with that S#!T anymore- I pay someone to "waste" time!
Same in St. Louis city. I took an afternoon off work to get some paperwork done with the permit office and as soon as I walked in it hit me that I was just wasting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House