Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

I think people should read and follow the "cleaning and care" instructions that the manufacturer has, it's usually online so it's easy to find.
I think many would be surprised at what is recommended when it comes to cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
I used it once to remove a red stain from the carpet in my apartment. It worked well for that - couldn't tell it had ever been there. That being said, I probably wouldn't use it on high quality carpet.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Did it work and what type of cleaning solution did you use?
I used the Rug Doctor's solution - available where you get the shampooer...
It's a temp fix - you definitely get what you pay for.
You pay for a $20.00 carpet cleaner - you get a $20 cleaned carpet.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Much better to hire a professional steam cleaning outfit.
Renting a machine and buying the solution runs about thirty bucks.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 PM

480 posts, read 622,870 times
The portable carpet cleaning machines do not have enough suction to pull all of the water/solution back out of the carpet. You're only cleaning the suface. The water ends up soaking into the pad underneath and mildews/rots over time.

A van mount carpet cleaner is the best thing out there and we'll worth the money to have it done right!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:16 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,412,873 times
I am not always so good at do it yourself. Not for lack of wanting to, but I just am not very handy with certain things.
I asked at a good carpet store if they recommended anyone in particular. I used that service which happens to be independent (though I do hear some of the franchises- Stanley, Sears etc can be good) and was very pleased.
I think if you use a service get one that is recommended. They really did a great job. They were priced comparably to the other services.
Check on groupon or some other local discount hub to see and then check the reviews.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 AM

844 posts, read 1,440,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it ruins the padding underneath and in turn stains the floors , becareful . the wetness gets trapped underneath
I was told by somebody else, that I should use only a little water and a little shampoo, as the carpet will stay wet for too long if you don't.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
As for the cleaning solution, we always just bought some of the carpet detergents sold by people like RD or Bissel, or people like that. However, by accident we found one that is cheaper and better.

Our cat threw up and my Son used a laundry prewash product sold at Dollar General. It costs a buck for a spray bottle and we keep it in the house for use in the laundry (best product we have found), it is called Totally Awesome Laundry Prewash. Anyway, he used it where the vomit had stained the carpet and it completely removed it and did not hurt the carpet in any way. No other cleaner ever did such a good job on stains like that.

So, the last time I cleaned our carpets, I bought a few bottles of the stuff at Dollar General and mixed up a cocktail of it, plus some of Dollar Generals brand of Fabreese, and a little carpet cleaning detergent thrown in for good measure. I just used a little of each.

The carpets came out cleaner and brighter than ever, every little stain came right up, and the house smells great. Just thought I would pass that along.
You used Totally Awesome Laundry Prewash as the main shampoo ingredient for your carpet and it worked?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Once, to clean up a massive, middle of the night vomit situation that occurred over a holiday break. I called and left a message for our normal professional cleaner, who arrived a few days later to do a thorough cleaning. It worked in a pinch, but it's not something I would use for regular cleanings.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:50 AM

Sounds like it's just "ok". I don't plain on doing a hardcore full house cleaning, just the stairs and heavy traffic walk ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House