Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Excerpt from a book I'm currently reading, having to do with the big challenge of providing housing during the late 40's/50's due to the extreme housing shortage, some of the housing pre-fabricated:

"The most famous of these prefabricated dwellings was the squat, metallic Lustron House. Weighing 12.5 tons, the Lustron House consisted of over 3,000 separate parts, which were manufactured in a former aircraft factory near Columbus, OH, assembled on site, and mounted on a concrete slab. Because its walls, along with its roof and ceiling, were made of enameled steel, interior pictures were hung with magnets. Despite a lot of hype and over $37 million in federal government loans, it was a flop. Consumers though it was ugly, and the high material and labor costs inflated the price beyond what many working families could afford."

I like the idea of it myself, of having, essentially, a fire-proof home, but have no idea what it would be like heating it in winter, cooling it in summer. I would imagine, here in Las Vegas, it would become a microwave oven in summer? And I'm sure the termites wouldn't find much to eat here!

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustron_house

Last edited by tijlover; 06-01-2016 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:47 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I would prefer a concrete built home in Vegas. Save on heat & cooling expenses, good fire protection, no termites.
Concrete Homes - Design Ideas, Energy Benefits of a Concrete House - The Concrete Network

Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Almost sounds like a site-built mobile home/trailer. The roof seems to be the best part. I wonder if you could put this type of enamel coated roof on a home today.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I like the idea of it myself, of having, essentially, a fire-proof home, but have no idea what it would be like heating it in winter, cooling it in summer. I would imagine, here in Las Vegas, it would become a microwave oven in summer? And I'm sure the termites wouldn't find much to eat here!
I would love a Lustron house. There are some drawbacks:
-finding replacement parts is difficult (discussed in the links)
-since we live in the midwest, we would want a basement and I think the original
homes did not have one. There are preservationists who have disassembled and
moved the home (adding a basement).
-air conditioning can be added but would it be difficult to install an ac system?

Lustron Preservation:
Buy/Sell « Lustron Preservation

Preserving a 1950s Lustron House - Old-House Online - Old-House Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFonBxpDWs

Old 06-02-2016, 09:57 AM

306 posts, read 550,100 times
We have some of them around here and I have always been fascinated by them. A few of them are still in great shape, even have the original garage - A couple others look to be less maintained but they seem to still hold up.

It was a very neat idea, too bad it didn't take off a bit more and that many of them have been removed.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:53 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
I saw a few of them when they still had them for military housing on Quantico Marine Base. I thought they were super cool, even though they were pretty small. The base had a pretty large number of them at one time, but they've all been demolished now I believe.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Almost sounds like a site-built mobile home/trailer. The roof seems to be the best part. I wonder if you could put this type of enamel coated roof on a home today.
How are they different from normal metal roofs?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:54 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
There was one in my old neighborhood, and it is a very cool house. I love all the built-ins.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
I've never seen a Lustron house in the metal, but have an avid interest in them.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 PM

117 posts, read 117,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
How are they different from normal metal roofs?
They are porcelain enameled steel. I've read that they've held up very well (50+ years) on most of those homes. Not sure how the enamel might hold up in areas that get large hail. Usually the repairs needed I read about are when a tree or part of a tree fell on the house.

I don't think anyone makes those types of roofing tiles anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House