U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 PM

2,240 posts, read 7,029,034 times

Advertisements

So, after seeing the commercials, I thought why not and give them a try. I called them for a free, in-home estimate on 3 blinds for my home. The guy came out and was very nice but quoted me $1000 for the blinds and installation! Basically sent him packing...When I asked him how much the blinds were vs the install, he said he could not tell me that! (so, how do I know if I am REALLY getting the actual blind 1/2 off like he said?) So, I went to Lowes last night and they will do the same blind (actually, a better blind) for all three windows PLUS install for HALF of that price. I just can't believe the price of Empire! I don't think I will ever call them again...some friends liked them and I am sure the service is as good as my friends have raved about, but the price was crazy and to not tell you the breakdown in price leaves me to believe I am being taken advantage of.
Anyone else ever use them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
"Call Today- Install tomorrow!"

That's got to be a lot of Overhead!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM

That's the thing...that is not even true! I said " so you will install tomorrow" and he said "no, tomorrow we come back to take another measurement-the final measurement." So I then said " so you install the next day,, the day after the final meansurement" and he said "no-it will be within two weeks."!!!!
When I said that is not what they advertise or what the website says, he tried to back peddle...very strange. Then he said he would install them within 3 days. Either he didn't know what he was doing (which I got the impression that he did know what he was doing) or he was trying to pull someone over on me.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,517,932 times
A friend of mine called them for blinds as well. she almost fell off her chair when the guy gave her the price. same thing with her laminate floors. she had them quote the floors a year before the blinds and when it came time for the blinds she thought how expensive can they possibly be. she went to lowes.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
A friend of mine called them for blinds as well. she almost fell off her chair when the guy gave her the price. same thing with her laminate floors. she had them quote the floors a year before the blinds and when it came time for the blinds she thought how expensive can they possibly be. she went to lowes.
LOL-that is EXACTLY how my husband felt. He said later that he could hardly talk!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,533,343 times
I think that anyone who can afford the overhead of TV advertising has got to have pretty sizable profit margin. Never used Empire, but got a quote from Bath Fitters once for a new tub/shower, $4,700. Wow! I guess TV ads are expensive.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM

624 posts, read 2,850,816 times
There are people out there that see the commercial, call up the company, and buy the product-price being unimportant...this is how they make money...they are obviously making a lot of money or you wouldn't see those commercials all the time. Not everyone is cost conscious, some have the money and will pay whatever as long as it's easy for them (they have money, NOT time)...

Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 293,961 times
I got them to come out and give me a quote to put laminate floor in a dining room and a den/living room. the price was $7000 and that was after the 30% discount.

I went to Lowes and bought the flooring for $1300 and a friend put it down for $400.

So now I can buy the couch I wanted and still have money left over.

dorothy

Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,734,754 times
FWIW, I just had a great experience with SelectBlinds.com. If you are confident enough to measure your windows and can use a drill, its great. I got 3 blind for a bay window, double honeycomb (for insulating), with top down/bottom up for $164. The fit perfectly and were a breeze to install Now, I'm saying a little prayer that the dog doesn't rip them down.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM

214 posts, read 777,484 times
I spent $900 on three Levelour bamboo shades on sale. After that I discovered Discount Window Shades & Blinds | Bamboo Window Blinds | Window Treatments | PaylessDecor.com
I've bought nine bamboo shades from them, fortunately my husband is pretty handy so he measures and installs. The funny thing is that one of the Levelour shades is no longer working properly while the "inexpensive no name" shades are just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House