Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
I understand that but the question was more directed to if it is worth it. I was hoping to find someone who actually did remove their's.
The details on how much folks typically spend on a Master Bath Remodel show that on a sq ft basis such changes are at or near the top of the list COST/room -- Bathroom Remodeling Guide - Consumer Reports

The challenge of trying to decide if it makes sense to remove / reconfigure a large tub for more of a "spa shower" is that data does not show this to have positive return for resale -- fully of third of female buyers would not consider homes that lack a tub: Considering a Master Bathroom Without a Tub? | Design Basics

The details of how the rest of the bathrooms in one's home are configured matter greatly -- What about replacing a bathtub with a luxury walk-in shower | NYTimes.com

Speaking from personal experience, I have seen a shift toward bathrooms that are less "fantasy" and more "practical" as folks prefer the day-to-day issues over the hype of "marketing aspirational lifestyles" -- in practical terms that means the vast majority of buyer prioritize items that reduce maintenance needs / make life easier over things that look better in a magazine than they do in real life. Similarly folks are less scared by MLS listing that may have penalized a large walk-in shower equipped en suite bath as "only" a 3/4 bath as redefinition generally still allows that to be a "full bath" with online listings -- Goodbye whirlpool tubs; hello luxury shower | The Charlotte Observer

One thing that seems to come up when comparing either large tubs or showers in the magazines and TV shows that showcase celebrity homes vs those that mere mortals use is even the most "physically fit" wives and moms do not fancy themselves being "on display" the way designers seem to envision. Windows that photograph well become both a cause for legal issues and a potential source of problems which lead to accelerated maintenance of both the fixtures and one's body -- Naked homeowner at a window in full view of the neighbors. Should this be legal? | NOLA.com and Bathrooms with Full Frontal Views |NYTimes.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,216,766 times
The tub is worth a lot of money on an appraisal.
Anyhow when you get old, you love your tub...

Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,047,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
The tub is worth a lot of money on an appraisal.
Anyhow when you get old, you love your tub...
Except older people often find tubs to be unsafe. Climbing in and out of a tub can be very dangerous for an older person. Grab rails can help, but for the person with limited upper body strength and flexibility, the tub can still be difficult to use safely.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,303,463 times
We've rented several places that had big soaker tubs. Rarely used.. maybe two times max. More by the grandkids as a sort of pool to play in ROFL. Especially the one that had jets. Talk about having fun with bubbles!

We are building and I opted for a larger Roman shower and forsaking the tub. There is a guest bath that has a tub and that will suffice, for those who visit, if they want a bath or for grandkids that still take baths.

There is another guest bath in the house and only has a shower. The MIL has already chosen her room, if she overnights at our house, to be near the bath with the shower and no tub. As she ages, it makes it more difficult to climb into a tub. So I would have to disagree with Joe33, as you get old, you tend to stay away from tubs. It gets really difficult to get in and out of. Maybe there is a golden age where you want the tub and use it, to when you would like to use the tub but can no longer navigate said use.

This is our last home. We aren't thinking of resale value. That is going to be the kid's problem after we leave this earth.

We were thinking of buying our current rental (landlord passed away and his rental properties are currently going through the probate process with his kids) and as we were thinking about what we would do, removing the tub would be one of the first things I was looking to do in the bathroom remodel.

Since it is taking so long for the probate process (the more money one has and the more kids, the longer it takes. I guess) and we are ready to settle permanently, we looked at houses and decided to build to get what we really want. As I said, this is our last place. Might as well make it the way we want it

Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
In my 50 plus years in the home building industry I've never seen a garden tub/soaking tub worth 50 cents on an appraisal. A stand alone, separate shower, occasionally is worth a few bucks. The bigger issue is sell appeal. The younger crowd will want one regardless if they use it or not. It gives them bragging rights. Older folks will not want one. If you intend for this to be the last house you'll live in and are over 40 years old, if you think you won't use it, tear it out. I'd strongly suggest a handcapped prepared walk in shower instead. Even the younger crowd is starting to see the value of a walk in shower. A walk in shower adds the appeal to most buyers both young and old. Here's what one can look like in place of something you may never use.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 PM

280 posts, read 248,626 times
Thanks Chet.... I read some of those articles. The homes we are looking at have at least 3 bathrooms and tend to have a bathtub in one of the others.

I just can't wrap my head around a idea of paying for 15-20 square feet that I will never be able to use.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM

23,922 posts, read 10,269,303 times
We took the tub in the Master out in two houses and has no resale issues. The current one turned into the base of a large window seat for the cats.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 PM

The only thing - if you put in a large shower, I strongly recommend a shower head on a sliding bar. That allows you to raise/lower the shower head to accommodate for different heights of users or even remove it entirely and use it as a hand held shower head if you want to wash the dog (for instance).

Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,303,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In my 50 plus years in the home building industry I've never seen a garden tub/soaking tub worth 50 cents on an appraisal. A stand alone, separate shower, occasionally is worth a few bucks. The bigger issue is sell appeal. The younger crowd will want one regardless if they use it or not. It gives them bragging rights. Older folks will not want one. If you intend for this to be the last house you'll live in and are over 40 years old, if you think you won't use it, tear it out. I'd strongly suggest a handcapped prepared walk in shower instead. Even the younger crowd is starting to see the value of a walk in shower. A walk in shower adds the appeal to most buyers both young and old. Here's what one can look like in place of something you may never use.
I agree.

I like that shower except for one thing. Too much glass.

We are doing a Roman walk in shower which has no glass and you don't need a shower curtain either. The opening is far enough from the shower head so the water doesn't go out into the main bathroom area. There is a wall that does not extend up to the ceiling so we will get air flow.

Glass is such a pain to keep looking good, especially if you have hard water.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM

"Glass is such a pain to keep looking good, especially if you have hard water."

You can get patterned glass that is easy to keep looking good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House