Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're right, but the OP isn't "almost everyone who does it for a living". He's part of the group of "almost everyone who uses a drill a couple times a year for light duty stuff".

If he had said he was going to be using it for daily construction I would have likely told him to get a Dewalt.

Of course. That is why I pointed out the harbor freight version.
The impact drivers have endless uses from what he wants to do to driving long screws to using as a mini impact gun while working on your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,622,407 times
I have a cordless I use all the time...

My neighbor liked it so well he bought one and sometimes it sits for a year without using it... he is not happy having to buy new batteries.

My batteries are still good.

Cordless is great but not ideal if seldom used... at least this is my 2 cents.

If you can buy either cheap... doesn't make much difference.

I still have the Makita cordless I bought in 1983 too.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

My neighbor liked it so well he bought one and sometimes it sits for a year without using it... he is not happy having to buy new batteries.

I have the dewalt 20 volt and have been very happy with it. Especially the batteries. I live in a place where it gets really cold and found that most batteries dont last long in the cold. But the Dewalts seem to go and go. Not a problem.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,622,407 times
In the collection I have Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and Milwaukee...

The only one that had any issues is the newest Milwaukee... one of the batteries would not take a charge... returned the battery to Milwaukee and was told it had been abused... looked fine... to me.

It was a gift to my niece and she uses it for projects like setting up for the school plays where she is a student... Milwaukee said the battery had been underwater???

PS... it is the only lithium battery...

Old 06-10-2016, 01:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,669,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

The lithium-ion batteries are supposed to be much better than ni-cads, which were big a few years back -

These little guys :

Sears.com

Combined with a nice set of bits :

Sears.com

Would be my choice..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,780,340 times
We've had our DeWalt cordless for 10 years - no problems with batteries. It's so much more powerful than the Black and Decker we had before that. Considering the locations and awkwardness of some of the jobs we've used it for, I'm very grateful to not have to mess with the logistics of a cord.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,298,809 times
A Dewalt is great to have around the house. 14.4V is plenty.

Before you leave the store with it, ask someone in the tool department if they can demonstrate the features and how to use it. Seriously, there are adjustments, a clutch and the right way to attach the drill/apex/etc.

If you're hanging blinds you don't need anything more than a few small drill bits. Don't go overboard! There are lots of drill sets out there!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:08 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,372,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
A Dewalt is great to have around the house. 14.4V is plenty.

Before you leave the store with it, ask someone in the tool department if they can demonstrate the features and how to use it. Seriously, there are adjustments, a clutch and the right way to attach the drill/apex/etc.

If you're hanging blinds you don't need anything more than a few small drill bits. Don't go overboard! There are lots of drill sets out there!
I agree. I've used mine for screwing decking boards to joists, drilling and stirring paint to name a few DIY chores. I would hate to have a drag a cord around the house every time I used the drill.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,453,356 times
A drill is a versatile tool, good for endless jobs around the house. That's how I see it. Usually you don't buy one for drilling 3 holes once. Sooner or later you'll need to do more.
Today, the 12V battery operated drills and impact drivers from most manufacturers are very good and are being sold at quite reasonable prices.
Also many corded drills are very good and come at much lower prices then in the past.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,422,876 times
I don't like buying new batteries so I bought Ridgid with their lifetime warranty on batteries. If it fails you get another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House