Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
In most places not paying is a 3 day notice and eviction if you have a rental or lease contract. It IS a contract after all.

I have a lot of rentals in different states and in everyone you are required to pay no mater what. If he dosent fix something as required by the contract then he just defaulted on the contract and you can move and perhaps charge him for the move depending on the contract but most judges when it comes to rentals have heard it all and go by common sense as long as procedure is followed. renters rarely win unless the landloard did something really, really bad.

Its not easy to get good tenants these days. Most trash the place then just leave contract or not.
It is not easy to find a good LANDLORD these days. With the low interest rates, everyone and their mother that could get a loan bought a place to rent. Most of them are inexperienced, cheap, and have no clue as to what their responsibilities as a landlord are.

They don't realize that being a landlord makes you a business owner.

Just "pay me my money and shut up" doesn't work.

In what state is it a 3 day notice?

In Virginia it is 30. In California, especially in some of the more liberal localities, I believe it's more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I will go another way... reduce the rent $5 or $10 and tell the tenant to buy their own stove...

It's been twenty years since I stopped supplying free standing appliances and boy did my quality of life improve!

That said... I still have a few legacy tenants where appliances are included...

The real old stoves from the 60's in one building never had problems... they just worked... but the aqua/turquoise color was an issue so the landlord replaced all of them and then the problems started... the newer stoves simply are not as robust.

I have bought several of the glass top electric stoves and so far no issues... run about $475 wholesale... I was skeptical since the glass top is expensive... so far so good.

The appliances in my home date from the 1960's... so I practice what I preach.
Have I ever mentioned we have a 1953 Model C Chambers stove?
Huh? All the time?
Oh. Well the thing is built and looks like a brand new '56 Chevy.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
It is not easy to find a good LANDLORD these days. With the low interest rates, everyone and their mother that could get a loan bought a place to rent. Most of them are inexperienced, cheap, and have no clue as to what their responsibilities as a landlord are.

They don't realize that being a landlord makes you a business owner.

Just "pay me my money and shut up" doesn't work.

In what state is it a 3 day notice?

In Virginia it is 30. In California, especially in some of the more liberal localities, I believe it's more.

As far as I know all states require a 3 day notice if you havent paid rent.
If you dont either pay rent or leave, then they have the standing to sue.

There are different notices depending on what sort of lease yearly or month to month but as far as I know there is always a 3 day notice. It is what starts the clock on the eviction.
I rent middle of the road houses and Id love to sell everything and get out. If it wasent for the tax penalty Id do it.
10 years ago the average tenant stayed the entire lease or more and left the place spotless. They would call you and let you know if there were problems and if they couldnt pay their rent they would let you know and leave.
These days the typical tenant bugs out during the middle of the winter and turns off the power. Says nothing. Pipes freeze and there is 10-40k in damages. Or they trash the place so badly it is another 3 months and 20k to get it livable again. They dont seem to know what a mop or sponge is and dont have the slightest idea that the stove needs to be cleaned. Then when they dont get their security deposit back, they sue. They always lose of course but it is really a waste of time and money.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
As far as I know all states require a 3 day notice if you havent paid rent.
If you dont either pay rent or leave, then they have the standing to sue.

There are different notices depending on what sort of lease yearly or month to month but as far as I know there is always a 3 day notice. It is what starts the clock on the eviction.
I rent middle of the road houses and Id love to sell everything and get out. If it wasent for the tax penalty Id do it.
10 years ago the average tenant stayed the entire lease or more and left the place spotless. They would call you and let you know if there were problems and if they couldnt pay their rent they would let you know and leave.
These days the typical tenant bugs out during the middle of the winter and turns off the power. Says nothing. Pipes freeze and there is 10-40k in damages. Or they trash the place so badly it is another 3 months and 20k to get it livable again. They dont seem to know what a mop or sponge is and dont have the slightest idea that the stove needs to be cleaned. Then when they dont get their security deposit back, they sue. They always lose of course but it is really a waste of time and money.
Dude, what kind of tenants do you have and where in the world do you find them? Don't you do a background check, call references? People don't just "turn into" dirty low life's, which is obviously what you rent to. Buy better properties or make yours nicer to attract the right kind of people.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
Have I ever mentioned we have a 1953 Model C Chambers stove?
Huh? All the time?
Oh. Well the thing is built and looks like a brand new '56 Chevy.
My prized stove came from my rental... my new tenant's scoffed at it so I brought it home and it is now centerpiece at the cabin...

1940's porcelain and chrome Wedgewood with one side gas and the other wood.

It was original to the home and specially ordered... a true testament to American manufacturing and made nearby...

I replaced it with a Brand New Magic Chef and the tenant couldn't have been happier... by the way that stove was destroyed two tenants later when the kids would stand on it to reach the cookie cabinet...

I do rather nicely with my tenants cast offs...

Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Dude, what kind of tenants do you have and where in the world do you find them? Don't you do a background check, call references? People don't just "turn into" dirty low life's, which is obviously what you rent to. Buy better properties or make yours nicer to attract the right kind of people.
Sometimes it has nothing to do with the property and it is all about neighborhood decline.

The Grandfather of my friend had 5 rent home in and around Detroit... he was retired and they were show homes...

Didn't matter... the ONLY people even interested had problems and lots of them... it was a real shame because the Grandfather had maintained them so well... after Gramps died the family took what they could get which was almost nothing...

Gramps would say how beautiful the neighborhoods were with tree lined streets and lots of civic pride... homes were treasured and cared for... old school... I know.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I run background, run references check employment. The whole nine yards. Thats my point. People WERENT like this 10 years ago. But today they are. I dont know why.
All the houses are in decent neighborhoods. Solid middle class neighborhoods. I think that one of the problems is that it has become so easy for most people to buy a house that the good solid long term renter would rather buy, and that leaves only the bottom of the bucket. The ones that havent gotten in too much trouble yet and arent on section 8.

Im not the only one having these problems. Most people I know that are landlords say the same thing.
Its not every tenant. One is enough to ruin the whole year. I would say about 1 out of 5 is the dead beat but 2 more out of the 5 are just barely better.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
I have a lot of rentals in different states and in everyone you are required to pay no mater what. If he dosent fix something as required by the contract then he just defaulted on the contract and you can move and perhaps charge him for the move depending on the contract but most judges when it comes to rentals have heard it all and go by common sense as long as procedure is followed. renters rarely win unless the landloard did something really, really bad.
I think you had better talk to your attorney about this. There have been numerous decisions around the country setting legal president as long as the rent is retained after a notice when the tenant notifies the landlord in advance, and there is a serious problem such as a supplied appliance is not working or a plumbing problem, etc., the judge will go with the tenant, as long as the rent is available to pay the landlord as soon as the problem is solved.

In fact some judges have ruled there is no rent due till the problem is solved.

Attorney's recommend this as a solution to tenants.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I think you had better talk to your attorney about this. There have been numerous decisions around the country setting legal president as long as the rent is retained after a notice when the tenant notifies the landlord in advance, and there is a serious problem such as a supplied appliance is not working or a plumbing problem, etc., the judge will go with the tenant, as long as the rent is available to pay the landlord as soon as the problem is solved.

In fact some judges have ruled there is no rent due till the problem is solved.

Attorney's recommend this as a solution to tenants.

I have lawyers and they are good at this.
The judge ruling in favor of this is very rare. I even had a tenant go to jail for a while for trying this. Yes the problem needs to be egregious and must violate some health and safety code. Severely. Just because your range dosent work the way you want dosent pass the smell test.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 AM

117 posts, read 117,113 times
As someone who has been a property manager, I can say I have seen things happen to stoves I didn't know were possible. I'll stick to fires/smoke for now...

One fire was caused by tenant turning on wrong burner, then walked out of the kitchen to do something. Said burner had a stack of Tupperware on it. (Apartment had plenty of counter and cabinet space--so this isn't a case of "nowhere to put things."

One fire was a long term tenant who never cleaned the oven ever. Even after the fire, the grease was unbelievable.

A hoarder saved all of his 18 pack boxes inside the stove, and forgot to take them out the one time he actually tried to cook.

Another tenant was taking a nap after a round of beers with a friend. Said friend decides to make eggs --while still completely drunk. Spilled oil all over the stove top, didn't clean it all up before firing up the burner before he then toddled over to the couch to "let the eggs cook" he said, but passed out instead. (Lucky for him he passed out--he didn't get burned at all which the fire department said he would have if he'd been standing at the stove when the oil from inside the drip pan next burner over where it all spilled caught flame --there was no fixing that stove after.)

My all time favorite though, was a drunk who when he did decide to cook, would set off the smoke detector every time. Usually just due to walking away from the stove and burning things...but every time we'd hear it go off, "Oh, guess Apartment 2 is cooking again."

Both sides of rentals have good, middle road and bad kind of folks.

Oh...and as to heating with the gas oven open? Not cooking--strictly using it for heat... The one tenant mentioned above would forget to order oil, so he'd just use the oven until he got his next delivery--usually 2-4 days, sometimes more if there was a storm because he never wanted to pay for an emergency service. (Yes, the apartment had a gas line, but the boiler was still oil--first time rental owner, and he had no idea how much it would cost to convert (each unit had its own boiler) until it was too late and the gas line was already installed.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House