Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 47,856 times

Advertisements

I've searched the threads and everyone else with this problem seems to have bees or live in a standalone building and not in a similar situation.

So, a few days ago I started noticing a drilling/jackhammer sound, seemingly coming from the ceiling of my apartment bedroom. It comes intermittently, like every 10 or 15 minutes or so, and lasts for 2-3 seconds. Too loud to be carpenter bees. I've tried to pinpoint the sound but it seems to be coming from the ceiling. It comes 24/7, whether it's midnight, 2 am or 8 pm.

We have never had such a problem in our apartment ever so this is a new phenomenon.

Before the sounds started, our entire street (not just my apartment) had sewage and gas line inspectors come for routine inspections.

-the start of the drilling noise seems to have happened after the sewage/gas line inspection visit, so I wonder if they messed something up while inspecting?
-could they have messed with the gas meter and that's what's making this sound?
-we have new upstairs neighbors, is there any machine they could be using that causes this sound?
-nobody in the apartment complex has central A/C or heating. so that's not a cause
-it's not construction. No-one would construct anything at 2 am or odd hours of the night.

I'm at my wits end and getting anyone to just sit for a random period of time or 10 minutes or so just for the sound to appear is proving impossible. We live in a city where landlords are irresponsible and eager to evict, so I'm trying to find a solution to this.

What could be causing this drilling noise?

Thanks.

Last edited by demonportal; 06-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: additional context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:56 PM

436 posts, read 520,945 times
Gotta be your upstairs neighbor right? The city inspectors wouldn't have touched anything, they usually just check the meters for tampering/if they are working properly.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:10 PM

I guess, but our upstairs neighbors are so new and my roommate even claims they don't exist/live there permanently. I would gladly pound on their front door and speak to them face to face, but their lights are always off and I've never actually seen anyone exit or enter the unit. Even if it is them, what the heck could be causing the noise?

I'm thinking, what if the sewage and gas line inspectors messed with the gas meter and it's near my room? This noise is just perplexing (and driving me insane).

Old 06-22-2016, 02:59 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Can you make a recording of the sound ? And then play it for the apartment manager to track down the source ?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Hi Reed, great thinking, I tried to do that but the sound is not that audible through recording. I can barely get a hint of what it really sounds like on recording. When I'm talking on the phone with people they can't hear it either, but in person it is very loud.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
2 or 3 seconds periodically sounds like it might be an automatic pet feeder or other intermittent appliance. Is there a cat or dog?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Hi Harry, it's much too loud and too frequent to be a pet feeder. Also, they don't sound like power drills.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:15 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Upstairs neighbor have a cat? Could be a stationary motion activated cat toy vibrating on their floor. And I'd ask them also if they are hearing it. Once you locate where it really is, you might be able to see what it is...

Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Nope, no pets allowed in the complex. Cat toys don't sound like drills either.

Has anyone else experienced this in their situation, and found a solution?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Time the intervals to see if it is consistent. Another thought is the stupid automatic air freshener spritzers. Or it could be a power drill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House