Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 08:17 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,304,326 times

Advertisements

I live in a rental and the glass top, when we moved in, was an absolute mess. It took me a week of working on it, a chunk of time at a time, throughout the days to get it back into shape. Now it is a breeze to clean. I clean it after every use.

I use Barkeepers friend, cooktop cleaner. Depending on how much grease or over spill is on the top dictates how much I squeeze onto the surface. Take a paper towel wet with hot water and squeeze out excess water. Wipe it around the whole surface, even if you haven't used a burner or two, and a tiny bit of elbow grease for any areas that may have food on the burner.

Take a second paper towel soaked with hot water and 'rinse' the product off. A third and forth paper towel to dry and buff.

The whole process now, takes me 5 minutes after I've done my dishes. I think the key is using the paper towels. Sponges that you've used for your dishes contain leftover soap still. That makes the stovetop look 'smeary'.

I've tried just wiping the stovetop and it just doesn't work. There is still grease and dirt that will bake into the burner area. Use the barkeepers friend each and every time after you've used the stove, it cuts down on cleaning time and you have a beautiful shiny surface all the time, with very little work involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM

32,491 posts, read 47,436,183 times
I dislike the glass top, OP, so you certainly are not alone.

First choice would be gas, but if that is not available, I'd much rather have the electric eye burner instead of a glass top. I'm serious about cooking and the electric eye is much easier to clean and a hundred times cheaper to repair. I think there is less chance of burns because the heating element is obvious.

Had a tenant start a fire by leaving papers stacked on top of a glass top stove. People use the glass top stove as a table and they don't do that with the electric eye burner.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,242,623 times
Cannot believe the strong feelings I've stirred up by starting this post. Just goes to show that manufacturers do not always get it right, but it takes awhile for these newfangled things to start showing their deficiencies. Too bad they look so great when new and unused - we would not have been so anxious to proliferate the country with them.

I guess they make these things in other countries, too, but I have never seen one in the UK and I've been in plenty of houses there. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,181,950 times
I like mine due to ease of cleaning... having to dig around those crevasses of the old style stoves was annoying. The heat is easier to control than on the gas stove I was using in my rental which would quickly overheat on the lowest setting where you could barely see a flame.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM

32,491 posts, read 47,436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I like mine due to ease of cleaning... having to dig around those crevasses of the old style stoves was annoying. .......
You do know that the top of the electric stoves with the eye type of burners lifts up for cleaning? You lift it up and there is a rod to support it and hold it up. It's easy to wipe out underneath the burners.

The drip pans go into the dishwasher. There are no crevasses to dig around in.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,699,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123
You can literally pull a pan of boiling water off the burner and put your hand on it.
Wow thats excellent... No can do with ours!! (Get burned like crazy)

Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
Moved into a newly renovated condo. New glass top stove. Hate it with a passion. Always cleaning, special liquid, special pads, then supposed to scrape it. Can't use certain pots. Nice to look at when not in use is the only good thing about this. Seriously awful. I miss my gas stove every time I cook.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I've heard/read that there are silicone mats that can be laid over the induction "burners" (or even the entire cooktop) to prevent mess from spills and to keep the surface from getting scratched by the cast iron.

Has anyone tried one of these mats? Do they work well?
I have had an induction cooktop for three years. You don't need silicone mats. Cleanup is very easy with these stoves. If you were to have a boilover of candy, or sugar syrup, you might have a cleaning up problem, but otherwise, you don't.

My induction cooktop is the best cooking surface I have every used, and I've used gas, coil electric, cast iron, and regular glass. I would rather have it than gas. If I did ever have to use gas, I'd get a supplemental stand alone induction burner, or maybe two. I'll never have regular electric again. Ever.

PS i have heard of people putting parchment paper under their pots. But honestly, you don't need it. Just know that a pot will come to boil faster than you are used to. If it boils over, you can wipe it up while the pot is still on the burner, unless the boilover has covered the controls. In that case you would have to turn the stove off and on again.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM

711 posts, read 682,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have had an induction cooktop for three years. You don't need silicone mats. Cleanup is very easy with these stoves. If you were to have a boilover of candy, or sugar syrup, you might have a cleaning up problem, but otherwise, you don't.

My induction cooktop is the best cooking surface I have every used, and I've used gas, coil electric, cast iron, and regular glass. I would rather have it than gas. If I did ever have to use gas, I'd get a supplemental stand alone induction burner, or maybe two. I'll never have regular electric again. Ever.

PS i have heard of people putting parchment paper under their pots. But honestly, you don't need it. Just know that a pot will come to boil faster than you are used to. If it boils over, you can wipe it up while the pot is still on the burner, unless the boilover has covered the controls. In that case you would have to turn the stove off and on again.
When we decided to test drive induction we got a stand alone burner. We both love that thing!

I will say that when we use it to fry I do put a piece of parchment down. While I agree that the induction is incredibly easy to clean, the parchment catches most of the little grease pops making cleanup even easier.

Personally I think the biggest thing that induction has going against it is that many people think it's the same as regular glass top electric. It's hard to differentiate the two just from looking at them.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Personally I think the biggest thing that induction has going against it is that many people think it's the same as regular glass top electric.
Nope.
Price. People are cheap.
Ignorance. Most people flunked high school physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House