Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 32,389 times

Advertisements

I have a late 80s home that we are continually updating, and it's time for the bathroom. It has a cultured marble corner tub with jets and a curved front with absolutely no access label. The jets no longer work, and I'd like to at minimum change the chrome faucet / fixtures out. Why would they design it this way? No access from underneath also. So, is my only alternative to pry the entire curved face off of the front? Photo should be attached.
Attached Thumbnails
No access panel in 80s jetted tub, help!-image.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,069,732 times
Either there is access below, or that whole front panel is removable. Plumbers do not have such tiny hands to connect/disconnect the fixtures.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:13 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,121,000 times
No panel outside, in an adjacent cabinet or closet>? You can make one near the motor..

Old 07-17-2016, 05:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,487,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stgs View Post
I have a late 80s home that we are continually updating, and it's time for the bathroom. It has a cultured marble corner tub with jets and a curved front with absolutely no access label. The jets no longer work, and I'd like to at minimum change the chrome faucet / fixtures out. Why would they design it this way? No access from underneath also. So, is my only alternative to pry the entire curved face off of the front? Photo should be attached.
It's POSSIBLE there's an access panel in a closet on the other side of one of the bathroom walls. I had an access panel there once, for access to the tub/shower plumbing.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 32,389 times
No panel, believe me. Another bathroom is on one wall, an exterior wall is on the other. I think my only alternative is to take the entire front off, and quite possibly break it in the process if I attempt.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:39 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,513,514 times
I had a nearly identical jetted tub, except with a step along the curved front instead of a straight panel. The entire step assembly had to be moved to access the pump and connections. I'm betting that yours is the same. The whole panel should be caulked in place, so you'll have to run a utility knife all around it to loosen it up. Hopefully, the floor tile runs under the panel and is not butted up against it.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,591,127 times
Its possible during a later remodel, it was covered over because they didnt like the look. Good luck to ya.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:37 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
To change the faucet you will have to remove the curved panel skirt. Depending on how tight the fit is you may be able to just cut all the caulk loose and pull it out. If it's a tight fit, cut a couple of 2X4's about an inch longer than the height of the lip of the tub. Use them as leverage under the lip to take the weight of the tub off the skirt.

Obviously, from the design of the tub the pump and motor are in the back corner. So, whatever room that backs to that corner is where you'll need to cut an access hole to get to them. The most likely reason for non-function is the pump shaft is "frozen" to the seal. This can usually be remedied by turning the shaft on the motor end (they usually have a slot for a screwdriver).

To keep this from happening in the future make sure to "burp" the system when the tub is drained; and occasionally run the pump for a few seconds every month during times of non-use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House