Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times

Advertisements

I need to list my house for sale, and i need to update the main/full bathroom before i do.

It has a tub/shower insert in already, that was here when i bought the house in '95. Dont know what condition the tub etc. is underneath. I have a newer toilet, so i really just need a new insert and faucets, the old one removed, and a new sink/vanity, fan, lights, and flooring. Not doing tile. I want it nice and new but i dont have the money for 'upscale.'

My b/f will do the painting afterwards. I'm looking into Lowe's or Home Depot because of the availability of a payment plan. Does anyone have experience with either of these companies doing any home remodel? Or any ideas or suggestions? Again - i want it nice and done right for the house to show and sell, but i dont need it glamorous. I dont know what the seller would would as far as decor anyway. The other 1/2 bath is new.

(I was going to leave it be and let a buyer do what they wanted, but my Realtor told me best to do it ourselves first.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Both Lowe's and HD use local contractors for their installations. They tend to not be the upper tier, but you get what you pay for. Why not figure out how much you're going to end up spending and offer it as an incentive to the buyer at closing? A lot of buyers want to remodel to their own tastes. If you go too low end, it could turn people off.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
We have bought bath fixtures at Lowe's to refresh our bathroom, but have always gotten outside contractors to install, often through Angies list. Lowe's seemed to have better stuff than HD, but it was pretty close.
I agree with your realtor -- you don't have to spend a pile of $$ to make it perfect, but you want to avoid the fixer-upper look so you don't get low-balled..

Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I'm soon to go through this, with an outside contractor - Lowe's prices seem better (and their website is certainly more user-friendly)

Old 08-01-2016, 12:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Frankly I would put the pressure on the real estate agent. I don't mean this is in bad way, as I used to make my living as a full time real estate agent, just that I would really push them to show me data from recent sales that show the return from a "bathroom freshen-up" being a factor in your local market. I suspect that the agent will not be able to find hard evidence of such things really returning more than the cost UNLESS you are simply talking really awful / worn out tub surround.

Technically, if you are not relocating the plumbing to the vanity it is an easy enough DIY task to put in a replacement vanity and the big box stores have lots with countertop / sink / faucets all ready to go. Add a mirror / medicine cabinet from the same firm and you can probably do 75% of the "freshing" without anyone hired. If the flooring is really bad you might consider hiring a tile setter, but with materials that could be a costly option.

Things like trying to get an insert / tub surround might be done most cost effectively by a specialty type firm, but that can still stretch into the thousands of dollars and might reveal some unforesee areas that need to be repaired.

Unless there is a whole lot of evidence that homes in your area without such updates are just not selling at all it may be smarter to just factor this into your asking pricing instead of trying to use the "credit package" of the big box stores to finance this sort of thing...

Old 08-01-2016, 12:46 PM

We have well water here, and the surround is stained beyond help. It also makes creaking sounds, like the adhesive is cracked between the tub and surround floor. I think if buyers look in at at - it will be a total turn off. Nothing else in the bathroom is really that bad.

I'm definitely not going to do anything really low end. I want it to look nice.

It doesnt have a tile floor - no tile anywhere. The floor is one piece of vinyl.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
While I wouldn't hesitate to buy the fixtures from HD or Lowes, I wouldn't have them do the work. I'd seek out my own contractors and cut out the middleman.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with redoing the kitchen/bath if this is a hot market. Keep the money, because whomever buys the house will redo it anyway the want they want.

When we bought our house, the owners had remodeled both baths and the kitchen. Within 6 months of moving in, I completely remodeled one bathroom to our liking, and would like to do the second because their choice of tile color really doesn't appeal to us.

As for the kitchen, the newly tiled floor is now cracking. Can't even chase down a contractor because I have no idea who did it. Wish they just left it all as is and let me do it.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
I agree with changing out the tub surround, from your description. The new owner will want to think they can take a bath/shower in a clean place the day they move in. There are cleaners you might try first, though. Zep has one, also LimeAway, --anything that has an ingredient that removes mineral build up.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
You could also try hiring someone to reglaze the tub. It's probably cheaper than replacing it.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You could also try hiring someone to reglaze the tub. It's probably cheaper than replacing it.
It's one of those plastic/vinyl surrounds, that covers the tub and the walls. Is that possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House