Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,000,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Our house is 150 years old. There is a distinct possibility that someone had died here-in fact, we took out a door that was called "the coffin door"-which was off of the parlor-where funerals were probably held for family members.

As for ghosts, we were told the house was haunted but after 2 years, we haven't seen/heard anything to suggest it is.

Cat
That's the first time I've ever heard of a "coffin door." I have a "piano window" in my house but not a coffin door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 PM

232 posts, read 347,042 times
I purchased my first house from the second owners. I found out months after the purchase that the original owner committed suicide by hanging from the back yard tree. Of course it was not on the disclosure and I didn't ask. A neighbor told me.

For a while I freaked myself out with lights being on in other parts of the house when I was sure I had turned them off and minor creaks and noises. My mother was nice enough to stay with me for a few nights until I got my wits about me again. I stayed there 10 years and was fine after the initial spookiness wore off.

I don't think it's a big deal unless you make it one. I was much younger then.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM

671 posts, read 851,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
We bought a house where the previous owner shot herself in the bathtub. She had two labs- black. She was a trust fund kid who never worked and had some issues. No one touched it, but it did not bother us for the area and we knew the family appreciated a family with kids taking care of it..she had done some remodeling.

There were some oddities...toilet would flush (not often, but it did), or I'd see what seemed like a black lab out of the corner of my eye at times while sitting and watching TV. We'd say, "Hi," to the owner. Never anything scary.

We bought it for 745 and sold for 1.3 million 11 years later (we did remodel). It was a great house and the new owner loves it and has 2 kids.
Some people would freak out! Do you believe in ghosts or do you think it was your mind playing tricks on you?

I expect that someone has died if the house is very old. Like others have said, it does not bother me unless it was murder or suicide. A natural death is ok. Freak accidents may indicate that something is wrong with the house.

You should definitely disclose just out of respect for the buyers. OP, your wife did the right thing.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,663,999 times
Depends on the manner of death and how long ago it was.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:12 PM

423 posts, read 607,219 times
It wouldn't bother me.

In California, seller must disclose death that occurred in house in past 3 years, regardless of cause.
Selling My House: Do I Have to Disclose a Previous Death Here? | Nolo.com

Old 08-07-2016, 10:52 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,199,706 times
If it were a natural death I see no big deal. I would not mention it to possibly discourage a friend..Big I might use it as a bargaining chip if I were interested in the house.
Ifit were aviolent death or suicide yes I would tell a friend and I personally would pass on it no matter how good the deal was.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 PM

23,967 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
My dad passed away a few years ago in his sleep. He died peacefully without any struggle. Not a bad way to go, I'd say. At the time of his death he was in a lot of financial struggle. He was way underwater on his house, so there was no way to pay it off and sell it. It went into foreclosure and I stopped really thinking about it.

A year or so after he died, a friend of my wife was telling her all about the house they found, and how they had seen it twice and were waiting on an inspection. It turns out it was my dad's old house. My wife was thinking she owed it to her friend to tell them that my dad had died in the house. To me it wasn't a huge deal, since it was natural and not a suicide or a murder. I do know a realtor is required to tell you if anyone has died in the house. That is assuming the realtor knows about it, and assuming you ask. They never asked.
They decided to pass on the house right before the inspection process.

What do you guys think? I believe if you're in an older house, there's a decent chance someone has died in the house. In the old days, people wanted to die at home and not in hospitals or nursing homes.

If you were in my shoes, would you tell a friend that someone had died in the house they were interested in, even if it wasn't a family member but you still knew about it?

There is absolutely no reason to disclose this to this friend. Death is a natural part of life. Sometimes people die at home. Sometimes in the hospital. One thing for sure - everyone dies. And they do it someplace. It could be a hotel room. I have a house that was built in the 1920s. It's almost 100 years old. Odds are some one died here at some point.

The house that I grew up in was built in 1967. There were two deaths there. My mother and grandmother. When my father and his wife sold I have and moved south, this was never mentioned.

I am originally from a state that has a "stigmatized property law". By law, a seller or agent acting on behalf of the seller, must disclose the following -

1. If a murder took place in the house

2. If a suicide to place in the house and

3. If the house has a reputation for being haunted, because it could affect the resale value of the house, and attract gawkeres.

A natural death need not be disclosed in most states, legally. Morally? I think it's ridiculous.

Your wife is over reacting a wee bit.

The only thing that would deter me would be a home where a murder or suicide had taken place.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
I wouldn't buy a house where a murder or suicide took place. I am not superstitious, but I know people talk and gawk. Life's tough enough without making it worse.

Maybe it's just where I'm from, but I remember an aquaintance of my parents hung himself and 15 years later people still talked about the house where Mr. Smith hung himself....three new owners out. People remember.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
There was a thread on this very topic a while back - it ended up becoming a REALLY long thread - worth searching for.

As for me, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
My husband and I had been looking for houses online and found what seemed to be the perfect one. We were going to set up an appointment to look at it but then I found out that a man had killed his wife, two small children and himself in what was supposed to be their dream home. I could never live in a house where young children were murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House