Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times

Advertisements

I don't have a garage, I have a driveway, I can easily fit 4 cars or more because it is double wide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,708,964 times
What I have learned in this thread is that if you have a garage and you do not park your car in it, not only are you unintelligent, you are also possibly immoral.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM

48 posts, read 69,032 times
We have 2 driveways- one close to the house, where the original attached single garage was (closed off and finished at some point) and one with the detached 2 car garage (which is located at the opposite end of the house from the front door and separated from the house by a large patio). Generally, I park in the close driveway and my husband parks in the garage driveway. During the winter, we park in the garage depending on weather (snow, super cold, etc.) but it's oftentimes just more convenient, especially for me with 2 kids in car seats and groceries, to park in the close driveway. During the nicer months, the garage is usually a mess with bikes, strollers, outside toys, lawn mower/waste bins, etc, so it's a pain to park in anyways. During the winter, everything gets neatly organized in the back/rafters of the garage so both cars can fit (though my husband's side doesn't have an automatic opener, so he has to go through mine to get into and out of the garage to open/close his) if needed.

We're lucky we even have a garage. It's very common to not have a garage here, despite our winter weather.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:57 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,882 times
I park in the driveway. The garage is for my wife's car and all of my motorcycles. When I was single I kept a truck in the garage and still parked my car in the driveway. The way my house is set up I need to unlock two doors (garage-breezeway and breezeway-house) to enter from them garage, while my driveway rolls up pretty close to my front door. The handful of days we get snow every year can be a pain, but that is what remote start is for.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I park in my garage. I wouldn't have bought a house with a garage if I wasn't going to put my car in it, but some of my neighbors don't park in their garages.

I am one of the very few who even have a garage in my immediate neighborhood. Some have carports but most just have their driveway and at least two cars in them. One of the reasons I bought this house was for the garage and, lucky me, it has an automatic door. The only downside is that it doesn't have an entrance directly into the house but it's not THAT far from the garage side door to my front door. It was added on long after the house was built and, if it did have a direct entrance, it would be into my bedroom closet. lol

Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
We never park in the garage except a project/toy car (1973 Jensen Healey). My parents never parked in their garage (although we sometimes brought the horses in there during extreme cold or hail). My brother never parks in his garage (except his electric Citicar), my other brother never parks in his garage. My sister did until they turned the garage into a woodshop. I can think of one person I know of who parks in his garage - he has expensive cars and no hobbies. besides, where he lives, he would probably get cited if he had cars parked in the driveway. A few of my neighbors have giant garages filled with collectible cars, but their regular cars stay in the driveway.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:48 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,548,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wish. But my wife wants to keep everything. You choose your battles. She's a fantastic wife, so parking my car in the driveway rather than in the garage is just a minor inconvenience, especially since it doesn't snow here.
Ive always found the bigger the extra space we have the more junk we accumulate... but using a garage for junk is just silly.. where would it all have gone if you didnt have a garage... I dont have one and the car is parked in front of my house..

Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
That reminds me, my wife and I were visiting Albuquerque, NM, and we made an inadvertent wrong turn into a neighborhood. As we were waiting for the GPS to reroute, we looked at the homes in the subdivision. It looked like a normal, boring suburban neighborhood full of lower middle class tract houses except for one thing: NONE of the homes had garages OR driveways. Every car was parked in front of the home on the street! I have never seen anything like it. The houses looked like the contractor hadn't had his coffee that day and just forgot those important details. I wonder what kind of price break these homeowners got for that? Whatever it was, lack of parking spaces on a single family dwelling would be a dealbreaker for me.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That reminds me, my wife and I were visiting Albuquerque, NM, and we made an inadvertent wrong turn into a neighborhood. As we were waiting for the GPS to reroute, we looked at the homes in the subdivision. It looked like a normal, boring suburban neighborhood full of lower middle class tract houses except for one thing: NONE of the homes had garages OR driveways. Every car was parked in front of the home on the street! I have never seen anything like it. The houses looked like the contractor hadn't had his coffee that day and just forgot those important details. I wonder what kind of price break these homeowners got for that? Whatever it was, lack of parking spaces on a single family dwelling would be a dealbreaker for me.
Are you sure they didn't have alleys? My neighborhood has no driveways or garages that are visible from the front of the houses. A lot of people do park on the street, at least for one car, but the houses all have garages in the back, facing the alley.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:40 AM

21 posts, read 17,762 times
Most people park the cars in their garages, but there are some people like renovating their garages into a workshop, guest room or storage room, and just park their cars in the driveways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House