Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times

Advertisements

When we bought our house a year ago we called to have Directv come out to install their service. The tech who came out told us there was no clear line of sight and that he wasn't allowed to get on the roof because of several lawsuits Directv had gone through from the families of tech's who died from falling off roofs. Okayyyyy......

So we went with Charter and got a bundle with them. Their service and options left much to be desired and after they hiked my bill up $35 more per month and refused to give me any new promotions, we decided to give Directv another shot. The tech came out, found a clear line of sight and made the installation with no problems. Thing is, after he left, I noticed that my landline had no dial tone. I had the AT&T tech coming out the same day to install the internet and landline so I didn't worry about it.

*Important to note that we are porting our number over from Charter!

This is where the real fun begins.

I waited....and waited...and waited for the AT&T tech to show up and he never came. I called and asked what was going on and got several vague answers and he finally showed up 3 hours late. Then I was told that my order had been cancelled but no one knows why. Long story short, he left without hooking anything up and telling us that the order would go through within an hour and it would all be up and running. Of course, nothing happened. I called AT&T to ask what was going on and was told that they made the request to Charter to have the number ported over but received no response since I placed the order on 8/4.

I called Charter and asked what was going on and THEY claimed that they didn't receive any kind of request from AT&T at all.

The tech himself called me the next morning to check on things and when I told him that nothing worked he told me that he would come out and hook it up and try some more things. He successfully installed the internet and told me that the landline order somehow got cancelled and to expect a call by the end of the day from someone to get it activated. Of course, no one called.

I finally spoke to a supervisor at AT&T and she tells me that yes, my order for a landline was cancelled for some reason and that in order to get it going they would have to set it up as a new install and that a tech couldn't come to my house until the 24th! She was trying to get it all done right then and there but was unsuccessful. I demanded compensation and she gave me a $100 credit on my bill, so essentially I got a whole month's service- for all 3 services- free.

I still have no dial tone but people are able to call and leave me voice mails because I can see the notification on my phone and can listen to them on the Charter site.

At this point I don't know who to call to have this fixed. I am thinking of just cancelling the landline order with AT&T and keeping it active with Charter but who do I have out to fix the no dial-tone issue? This is BEYOND frustrating! I realize landlines are not as popular but I use mine everyday!

HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 06:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Just relax it will be fixed in a few days, you have a cell phone to use, if you start switching things now it's gonna cost you more.

and yes people can call your number while it's not connected and leave you a message. Your voicemail is not in the telephone it's in the phone system. You can usually call your own number and use the prompts to access your voicemails from your cell phone but you may need a pin so hopefully you set one up beforehand.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Check your invoice - ATT nipped us for a new account with all fees applicable after they decided our UVerse did not support a land line and we need an analog line. Promises from A to B until the invoice showed up.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I'm calling BS on the roof thing. Our neighbor recently got DirecTV and their dish is right on top of the roof. My guess is they'll dump DirecTV after their contract is up. We had it and we couldn't get rid of it soon enough.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Good luck on getting AT&T to move on the landline until they are good and ready.

In your shoes I would tell them unless it was up and running within 48 hours, I was going to cancel the landline and port to Ooma or other VOIP. Then I would follow through.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm calling BS on the roof thing. Our neighbor recently got DirecTV and their dish is right on top of the roof. My guess is they'll dump DirecTV after their contract is up. We had it and we couldn't get rid of it soon enough.
They can install on the roof if they don't have to leave the ladder. If they need to go on the roof, fall protection is required and it becomes a two person job.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:16 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
You can post a report on the BBB site. ( I am aware that it was your previous company, but these companies respond to negative online reviews). Or you can be patient and simply demand compensation retroactive to when it should've been connected. If you threaten to cancel, most likely they will throw multiple freebies your way. AT&T did that when they attempted to extort a hook-up fee for me to transfer my service to my new house. I questioned why they would charge me to KEEP their service and I said I'd simply go shopping for better deals, and suddenly all was well again. (Not that I'm not checking on Google fiber once it goes live or all others once my contract is over).

Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM

372 posts, read 521,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Check your invoice - ATT nipped us for a new account with all fees applicable after they decided our UVerse did not support a land line and we need an analog line. Promises from A to B until the invoice showed up.
They tried to rip us off for a $45 service charge after we had our old, hard telco line disconnected at our old house and U-Verse installed at our new one, claiming our service had been "interrupted".

I told them they could either remove the bogus charge or disconnect our service. Their choice.

They removed the charge.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
If you want options for a new nightmare, you can switch to WOW.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
When did this Forum become the Complaint Department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House