Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times

Advertisements

What bothers me is these newer LG front loading machines are so deep - The space they fit in doesn't always work. We had a dryer extend 2" into where the door to the garage swung. So it's either push it back and crimp the hose or leave it and not use the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:34 AM

27 posts, read 23,832 times
I think if you want to get a front loader, I would recommend spending the extra money to get the pedestals so you don't have to bend as much especially if you have a bit of arthritis in your knees. I think the top loaders are good. I personally wouldn't go crazy spending a lot of money on a washing/machine and dryer and would look at a basic kenmore unit or go to home depot to see what what they have. The newer machines are not designed to last more than 8 years. Sometimes Miele has promotions where they offer 10 year complimentary warrantees on their appliances so maybe useful to purchase at that point but their products are quite pricey.

I have LG, I'm overall happy except for one annoyance every so often we have to open a small compartment and drain out some water which isn't ideal.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Speed Queen.

Otherwise, just buy what's on sale at Home Depot or wherever. I happened to see a couple yesterday dirt cheap. I think I saw name brands like Amana for like, $325.

I even got my fridge from Best Buy - of all places. They were the only ones who had the one I wanted on the floor and available. (counter depth, small, bottom freezer, regular door)

And of course the OLD SCHOOL top loading. Not these digital front loading "efficiency" styles.

I agree I only use the regular speed and the delicate speed. The newer ones have stuff like "sanitize" etc that may be helpful to other types of families. Smokers, incontinent dogs, sports players, kids etc.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 AM

802 posts, read 642,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Speed Queen, hands down the best "new" washing machine I've ever owned! No bells or whistles to break and replace. Speed Queen rivals my 1960's era Kenmore that came with the previous house I owned. Leaving it behind was one of the dumbest things I've ever done.
Another vote for Speed Queen. Worth every bit of the little extra they cost. They are sturdy, quiet, and this set will last us the rest of our lives. Very well built.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Thanks for the speed queen posts. I have wonder what the best none gadget clothes washer is now. My aunt has some super wonderfull txt messaging washer and all that fancy stuff. she has been through 10 control boards in the past few years.

I dont even know why she puts up with it.

My sister bought a top load lg fancy one and the first time she used it it locked the lid and filled the tub all the way with water and then drained it and quit. should couldnt get the door open to keep from messing up her soaking wet clothes. why the lid needs to lock is stupid but i do understand why they put that feature on them.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I really like my Maytag front loader!

I had no idea anyone - retiree or not - bought laundry appliances to impress others. To me they are purely functional!

Which Maytag do you have? We have them in my building and they are so awful (and they are always breaking---both the washers and dryers) that the board is trying to get out of the contract with the company that supplies them.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM

132 posts, read 153,962 times
My only experience with Speed Queen is a set that was in a rental. The automatic dryer setting never worked. Even after multiple service calls I was told to set a timer on my phone because the timers on the machines didn't last.

The next day I went out and bought the cheapest set of Samsung HE top loader washer and dryer. Three years later, never had any issues and they use way less water and spin faster so the dryer doesn't have to work as long.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I got the cheapest I could find, a Haier washer and dryer for $500 or both. 3 years later not a single problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House