Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

Florida build. This is our place, photo taken yesterday.

I've always lived in the north where we all had basements. Even Michigan would have their 'Michigan Basement'.

This is all new to me

Interesting thread for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post

Florida build. This is our place, photo taken yesterday.

I've always lived in the north where we all had basements. Even Michigan would have their 'Michigan Basement'.

This is all new to me

Interesting thread for me.

Yep, and all of that will be buried as they prep for the slab making it "under the slab"'plumbing.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Robino

Slab or cellar is often a frost line depth issue which is the northern parts of the US can be 6ft deep. If a foundation was not below the frost line (as in requiring a cellar) there would be frost heaves resulting in tilting, cracking, and worse. Also water/sewage lines have to be below the frost line to prevent freezing.

In the South where there is not a frost line, slab construction is the most typical even with Million dollar homes as there is no concern with the frost line.

Typically water/sewage lines in a cellar are easier to get at and repair but the cost of the cellar adds quite a bit to the price of the house. Slabs can also be dug under to fix problems but it becomes a cost trade off. Rip up the flooring and repair from above or dug under the slab and go up.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Robino

Slab or cellar is often a frost line depth issue which is the northern parts of the US can be 6ft deep. If a foundation was not below the frost line (as in requiring a cellar) there would be frost heaves resulting in tilting, cracking, and worse. Also water/sewage lines have to be below the frost line to prevent freezing.

In the South where there is not a frost line, slab construction is the most typical even with Million dollar homes as there is no concern with the frost line.

Typically water/sewage lines in a cellar are easier to get at and repair but the cost of the cellar adds quite a bit to the price of the house. Slabs can also be dug under to fix problems but it becomes a cost trade off. Rip up the flooring and repair from above or dug under the slab and go up.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the why in the Northern states.

Just that watching this process was new to me.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No current house (since 2000 at least) should have plumbing in the slab. Current practice calls for copper piping, and for all joints to be made above the slab (in the walls). So if you have a run longer than the longest piece of copper available, they are required to bring the pipe up above the slab, make the joint, then go back down under. It's extremely rare for a straight run of copper to develop a leak, but leaks at joints can occur. Hence the new codes.

I have a winter home in Arizona that has plumbing in the slab. It was built in 2005.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a winter home in Arizona that has plumbing in the slab. It was built in 2005.
Money on- it's UNDER THE SLAB.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
Money on- it's UNDER THE SLAB.
You'd lose the bet here. Most often the rough in potable water lines are tied to the cables or steel to keep it IN the slab and on top of the vapor barrier. Probably the differences between building techniques across the country. Just like our local code would fail the above pics. The only lines that you can use PVC piping on are the A/C drainlines and the sewer system. No pressurized potable water lines in PVC is acceptable. For us here with our high PI soils, if you were to put the lines UNDER the slab, the bag and fill sometimes falls to several inches below the actual bottom of the slab. So you would have a pocket of air there and the piping would be literally hanging or going up and down with the vertical displacement of the soil. WE have up to 16" of vertical displacement here. That equates to broken lines. So how much did you lose on that bet? LOL!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You'd lose the bet here. Most often the rough in potable water lines are tied to the cables or steel to keep it IN the slab and on top of the vapor barrier. Probably the differences between building techniques across the country. Just like our local code would fail the above pics. The only lines that you can use PVC piping on are the A/C drainlines and the sewer system. No pressurized potable water lines in PVC is acceptable. For us here with our high PI soils, if you were to put the lines UNDER the slab, the bag and fill sometimes falls to several inches below the actual bottom of the slab. So you would have a pocket of air there and the piping would be literally hanging or going up and down with the vertical displacement of the soil. WE have up to 16" of vertical displacement here. That equates to broken lines. So how much did you lose on that bet? LOL!
Building a home on Black Gumbo is a course in damage control- one way or the other it's going to happen. It's just a matter of how to eliminate as much as possible. And with the wacky weather Texas has experienced over the past couple of decades maybe a moratorium(?)- oh wait, no additional revenue- never mind!

Colorado isn't immune from expansive soils (Bentonite), but they certainly seem to have a bit better "damage control" protocol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House