Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There has to be a good solution to keeping the fireplace intact with it's original mantel and tiles while preventing air from escaping through it.
They do have product that you stick in top of fireplace and it inflates, don;t know how well it works or durability.

If it were me I put some insulation and some plastic in the top of the fireplace out of view. Put a sealed cap on top of it and you should be good to go. If you ever decide to use it or get it relined there isn't any work to undo what you have done to seal it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I know wood burning stoves are messier and less efficient than pellet stoves but if you live in a cold weather climate and lose electricity due to an ice storm, it renders the pellet stove useless for lack of electricity while the wood stove keeps working.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
What really odd is in Indiana (maybe other areas) most older homes have chimneys but no fireplace, it went to a coal furnace in the crawl space / basement.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I don't trust the fireplace in my house. When I remodeled, anything I opened up had glaring problems so I expect the same is true with my chimney and fire box. My intention is to install a gas insert rather than a wood stove. It's a small house with excellent insulation and EnergyStar doors & windows so I don't care a whole lot about wood as an inexpensive heat source.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I know wood burning stoves are messier and less efficient than pellet stoves but if you live in a cold weather climate and lose electricity due to an ice storm, it renders the pellet stove useless for lack of electricity while the wood stove keeps working.
Very true. Of course, if you have an electric fan as part of your wood stove/insert, that helps spread the heat easily and with very little cost. But the fan won't work during electrical outages...we have a non electric Ecofan - have you seen those? We aren't sure if it works or is just a cool looking device.

There are really wonderful inserts that go directly into a fireplace, so you have efficient wood burning - they really do heat the house!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Very true. Of course, if you have an electric fan as part of your wood stove/insert, that helps spread the heat easily and with very little cost. But the fan won't work during electrical outages...we have a non electric Ecofan - have you seen those? We aren't sure if it works or is just a cool looking device.

There are really wonderful inserts that go directly into a fireplace, so you have efficient wood burning - they really do heat the house!
That will be what I will probably do if I buy a house with a fireplace that actually works but between fixing an old fireplace and buying an insert, it sounds like it will cost a small fortune.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
In most cases, it's probably because the fireplace or chimney was in need of expensive repairs. I've seen this in many homes in New Orleans. How many times a year will you need a fireplace in New Orleans? Probably very few, so it's not worth it to repair the fireplace.

On another note, I find gas logs to be almost as useless as a bricked up fireplace.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM

14,248 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Other than gas, I hate fireplaces. Had one home with 3 of them (natural wood burners) and never used a single one of them.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I was in Olympia Washington several years back when temps were in the single digits after it rained for 30 days... power was out for a week all over.

Having a wood burning insert in the Living Room and a pedestal stove in the Kitchen Area made things bearable...

Even it you hardly ever use it I would still find having one part of emergency planning.

Also... a masonry chimney that has not been used in a very long time is most likely damp and cold... so draft could be a real problem with the initial season lighting.

The idea is warm air rises and it takes enough warm air to overcome the cold in the chimney....

Coalman... I've seen Victorian homes with an open shallow hearth and a very shallow grate burning coal... all is open and exposed... I have a home that had one but never used it functionally...

Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can use a hair dryer to get the draft going better before lighting it....
Heating chimney worked once. Had a nice roaring wood fire that night. Three days later....it didn't work. We didn't always want a roaring fire...sometimes we wanted a small fire....wouldn't draw at all. The chimney was not designed for wood fires.

And those firelogs are gross....when the smoke and smells goes into the house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House