Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One way to extend the life is to replace the anode rod every couple years. The anode is supposed to corrode preferentially to the tank and thus protect the tank. When it is used up, the tank gets attacked. Soft water is harder on the anode they say. The rod is threaded into the top of the tank. It takes a pretty large socket and probably an impact wrench to get it out. You can buy a new one wherever fine water heaters are sold.

Extend the Life of Your Water Heater by Replacing the Anode Rod | The Family Handyman

Find one of those bastards in stock at Home Depot or Lowe's.

You might be able to get them online, but they don't stock them in the stores.. They've got elements running out the butt, but never an anode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
In my case things are a little different being that I'm here in Baja south of Rosarito.

Am different in that I studied Architecture in school so built my own home here and since they use Propane I went with the Electric 110 Amp 15 Gal tank (6 yr warranty) since I live alone and retired.

First couple of years had a problem with burning out the heating element so I bought three extra just in case. Replaced it and then discovered that the Temp SENSER was not working so I bought a new one and took apart the old one to see what made it tick. Absoluter Garbage as far as being a working unit so I disconnected it and ran a direct wire to a Timer that comes on twice a day (5AM and 2 PM)with enough hot water to last during the days needs.

So now I'm just over a 20 year usage and not bad for a 6 yr warranty costing $115 at Home Depot.

A new one is over twice what I originally paid......might go to a Instant Heat newer unit if I live that long.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I've never had a water heater go bad on me. (I have two spares, just in case I tempt the fates - neener neener)

I have a theory (unproven) that low water temps in a heater promote bacteria that help corrode the tank.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've never had a water heater go bad on me. (I have two spares, just in case I tempt the fates - neener neener)

I have a theory (unproven) that low water temps in a heater promote bacteria that help corrode the tank.
Seems unlikely but ossible. And with the AHJs wanting the water at < 120F at the tap nowadays, a lot of people probably have their heaters set low. (I left my heater on 140 and set the stop on the new shower valve... then set it back higher after the inspection.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: