Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM

120 posts, read 307,948 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a small shed (6'x6'-ish) for the yard and garden equipment. Reviews are awfully conflicted about what a decent shed is. Have you found a good shed at a local garden center, or assembled from a kit (big box store or internet), or DIY from plans?

My main concern is it surviving heavy snow. I have some tools but not many saws so I have been leaning towards a kit.

For plastic/resin sheds, it seems like the material for the smaller sizes is flimsier than the larger sheds. It also sounds like the plastic sheds suffer hail damage, may not seal well from insects/precipitation, and don't always fit well together.

I think it would be fun to assemble one of the wood kits, but it is it worth paying more for the wood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 04:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
I am looking for a small shed (6'x6'-ish) for the yard and garden equipment.
Have you found a good shed....?
Nope.

Quote:
I think it would be fun to assemble one of the wood kits,
but it is it worth paying more for the wood?
Build from scratch.

Go big or go home.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed recommendation-toolshed.jpg  

Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 PM

165 posts, read 173,689 times
I don't know where in NE US you're located. After painstaking research we had our shed custom-built by the Amish folks in Smyrna, Maine. Even with delivery fee, it was substantially less $ than the price we were given by a local shed builder, and substantially less $ and sturdier than what we found at big box and local stores.

We were able to go bigger, also, and still for less money.

I don't know about kits.

I believe there are other Amish communities building sheds throughout New England. It's definitely worth checking into. Tell them your dream and ask for a price.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:18 PM

17,419 posts, read 65,593,232 times
6X6 is a waste of materials-
And anything smaller than 8X8 is rather useless.

Having the know-how is decidedly easier, but a simple shed with a rather steep "shed roof" will be relatively easy to build using standard size dimensional lumber.

With the high pitched shed roof you can add celestory windows up high for light, and making them operable will allow ventilation. Plus, the steep pitch will readily handle a significant snow load. If you're not too concerned about the direction the shed is facing/roof orientation, face the high-end/windows to the southwest for the most light and heat gain.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 PM

120 posts, read 307,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope.

Build from scratch.

Go big or go home.
Possibility. Definitely don't have as much room as you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I don't know where in NE US you're located. After painstaking research we had our shed custom-built by the Amish folks in Smyrna, Maine. Even with delivery fee, it was substantially less $ than the price we were given by a local shed builder, and substantially less $ and sturdier than what we found at big box and local stores.
WOW these are pretty cool and I will keep looking into it. I assume the shed came completely built? One issue for me is that it would be very difficult to get something that big into the backyard as a complete structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
6X6 is a waste of materials-
And anything smaller than 8X8 is rather useless.

Having the know-how is decidedly easier, but a simple shed with a rather steep "shed roof" will be relatively easy to build using standard size dimensional lumber.

With the high pitched shed roof you can add celestory windows up high for light, and making them operable will allow ventilation. Plus, the steep pitch will readily handle a significant snow load. If you're not too concerned about the direction the shed is facing/roof orientation, face the high-end/windows to the southwest for the most light and heat gain.
This is the land of 4000 sq ft lots so my needs are small and simple. Thanks for the tips on the windows!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,871,979 times
I've installed this shed in my backyard 10 years ago. It's holding up well.

Lifetime 8' x 10' Storage Shed

I agree that the size of shed you are looking at is not really useful for storage. If I had to install again, I would go for an 8'x15'

Where are you putting the shed? Over concrete or is it ground? I built a plywood platform using 2"x8" sitting on cement block. My shed is raised about 10" off the ground.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 AM

14,200 posts, read 14,567,911 times
I have had several sheds and the most complicated decision and part was the foundation/floor. After that, it is a bit of a no brainer.

The shed in the above post link to Costco is one that would interest me.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM

10,585 posts, read 12,007,160 times
I also had my shed Amish built. Not custom made -- but Amish made.
In some areas there are local companies that sell Amish sheds, in various standard sizes.
You order from them, and the Amish come an put it up on site.
OR that same company will let you order custom -- which costs more of course.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
I just bought a small resin storage cabinet, because my yard is small and I have to get permission from the HOA to add a shed, but no permission is needed for the size I bought. I measured carefully to be sure my mower, weed eater, gas cans, shovels, etc. will fit in it. (My husband likes to accumulate things so if he had a big shed he would cram it with junk until I couldn't get my mower in and out.)

This is what I got: Keter High Store 4.6 ft. x 2.5 ft. x 5.10 ft. Resin Vertical Storage Shed-227474 - The Home Depot I bought it at Sam's for $150 on clearance. I started to assemble it last night. The pieces fit together really well and it has been simple to build with nothing but a screwdriver. We don't get snow here, so being able to support weight on the roof was not a consideration. I don't think it would stand up well to a lot of weight on the roof, because all of the supports for it are plastic, except a couple of metal bars that go on the doors.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,496,837 times
Well - that's depressing.

At our prior home, we installed a "Royal" Shed - from a kit purchased at a big box store. It was a vinyl panel system (galvanized track, the panels fit into the track. Roof panels also vinyl and you could sub out regular roof panels for "skylight" (opaque, but let light through) panels. We put in 4 of those (two each side of ridge).

Great shed. Lived there for nearly a decade - never leaked.

Went to look sheds up to give you a link - they were discontinued. Looks like they dropped them about the time of the recession.

Bummer. It was a great product.

My current neighborhood prohibits vinyl sheds (also metal sheds) - so we have a site built wood shed. Don't have experience with any of the other kits, but at least I can say truthfully that one kit product that no longer exists did a great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House