Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 AM

91 posts, read 71,723 times

Advertisements

Our house doesn't have a garage. There's space to built one and we planned to add one when finances permitted.

The issue now is should we built an attached or detached one. The lot slopes to the side so the garage would be level with the basement. I think detached would be cheaper and I'm also concerned about exhaust fumes getting in the house.

But on the other hand i'd really like to be able to get from the garage to the house without getting wet. Also for resale value i guess attached would be better.

Have you added a garage to your house and how did you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
See what is permitted before getting your heart set on anything.
All garages must be attached in my neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Another thought, most codes have to make sure that fumes do not get into the house from the garage. Also, fire walls need to be between the house and garage unit.

I wouldn't worry too much about fumes. Just don't run your car with the garage door shut.

I worry just a bit about fumes and if I start my car and leave it running, I back it out so the exhaust is outside of the garage.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Fumes have not been a problem, in my experience. You are building from scratch, so get it done right and don't worry.

I would pay attention to terrain constraints, ordinances, and heating efficiency if you intend to heat the garage.

You could build a detached garage a short span away from the house and have a covered walkway between them. That would keep you from getting wet.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
I have a detached garage but it is only about 15 feet from my house give or take a few feet. I have a concrete walkway with no steps in between the two. You could do something like that, but make it a covered walkway like pikabike suggested above. I don't mind having it uncovered because you can't get too wet in 15 feet due to the roof overhang of both the garage roof and the house roof, plus it reminds me to take my raincoat. I especially like the fact that there are no steps because I am older and have started using a walker, and also I have a wheeled cart for bringing groceries and heavy things inside the house. Don't know if that would be possible with your lot configuration, though.

I didn't add the garage; it was there when I bought the house last year.

I haven't had to replace the roof of my house yet, but I imagine that when I do, I'll have to have the garage roof done as well. That sounds to me like it would be more expensive than just one roof for an attached garage.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
There's a lot of ways to look at it-

Grade isn't an issue; it's your budget. And size will always be the biggest issue, along with the amount of land you have to work with.

Another big issue can be taxes. If you "attach" the garage is will severely affect your tax base. If it's "unattached" it's considered an accessory building. You can still have a covered walkway (just make sure it isn't "physically" attached to both structures. Another factor would be building setbacks.

Posting a couple of pics of the house and area proposed would also help.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:16 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My preference for a garage is "big".

I like attached as close as possible to the kitchen. But a detached garage can have a covered walkway or breezeway to the house to keep you out of the rain.

I'm not so sure about having the garage attached to the basement. I'd look around and see if there was a better location that didn't involve carrying groceries up the basement stairs.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:42 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Depends on your climate- if you get snow, I would go with attached. A covered breezeway doesn't usually protect enough against that and who wants to shovel a breezeway plus a driveway?

Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
[quote=Viridiana;45514133]Our house doesn't have a garage. There's space to built one and we planned and I'm also concerned about exhaust fumes getting in the house.

I remember that old wives tale back in the 1950's when a builder in SE Michigan introduced (beautiful and very innovative, different) California style houses. The old bags were wringing their hands over the idea that gasp! the bedrooms are over the garage! Heavens no! Needless to say, he constructed about 5 of those homes, and the rest of the subdivision wound up the four basic, all the same models: small ranch, large ranch, colonial (a la "Married With Children") and a chintzy tri-level. Except for the millionaire suburb with custom homes on the other side of the city, one never ever saw such cool houses in the suburbs of that city (Detroit) again ever. By the way, in recent sales there, those "California style" homes get 1.5X the price the other stuff in that sub does. Go figure.

Unless someone is deliberately committing carbon monoxide suicide, and there is no complete drywall in the garage ceiling and there is an open plank floor in that bedroom above (one chance in something like 8,850,500,000) get over it.

Is there a possibility of a "breezeway" between house and garage. That's what I did. Connects the offset garage with the house and most importantly, includes a wonderful screened in porch, which is now where I spend most of my summer sitting out on. That porch is priceless. (My "breezeway" includes my laundry and a half bath, and a weatherproof access to the garage). You know your property. Use your imagination. Get some graph paper, measure the surroundings to your house, and get drawing. This is an opportunity to really gussy up the place. Skip the "practical" stuff. Thoughtfully planned, it will potentially "transform you house, and won't cost that much more.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-17-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I vote for both... never heard anyone complain about having too much garage...

The cost to make it a little wider and especially deeper often doesn't add much to the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House