U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 PM

39,396 posts, read 47,442,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. Once I sell I sell its done. I move on. I love my houses while I live in them. But I'm not emotionally crazy.
^^^Same here. Moving on into a new era to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:48 PM

752 posts, read 357,208 times
We've lived in our house for fifteen years. We bought it brand new at a great time to buy, before the prices went sky high, and then crashed in the housing bust. We brought home each if our babies to this house, measured their growth on the coat closet door, saw them learn to ride a bike on our sidewalk.

Many times I had the urge to buy a new house, something with some land, something not in a cookie cutter neighborhood. Then my husband pointed out all the good we have in this house, the great neighbors, the low mortgage payment, and we started making improvements to the house. Hubby built a large patio, we replaced light fixtures around the house and added ceiling fans to the rooms. We totally landscaped our front yard and picked out our favorite fruit trees to watch grow and enjoy. Life was good. In May hubby found out his employer wasn't planning on keeping him much longer, his son would take over and the son doesn't like my hubby. So after three months of applying hubby got a new job in Wyoming. And suddenly we're selling the house that I'd finally started to love.

The house is empty now. All of our things are packed in storage. It doesn't look like our home anymore with the fresh white walls, and all of our pictures off the walls. It was hard wiping away the pencil marks on the door, but I did take pictures beforehand. I won't miss the house too much, but the memories made there I will always remember. Onto the next chapter of our lives.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,805,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
The first house I ever bought, I paid $18,000 and sold for $25,000 after living in it for 10 years.
The neighborhood improved and it is for sale right now at $585,000.
So yeah, I get emotional about that house.
Would you feel better if we kick you?

My last house is two doors from my grandfathers and a block from my office, so I drive by a couple times a week. So far I haven't had to take issue with the buyers slacking on maintenance, they are friends.

My house before that they buldozed and built a MacMansion so I don't care, I got my $$.

I "remember" my homes but I don't miss them. I make part of my living flipping my homes for the tax free income. We renovate, live in a house 2-3 years and sell. I may have trouble selling our current one, it has an amazing view that I would miss.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:51 AM

18,278 posts, read 23,403,969 times
time isn't tangeable, so i do believe emotions do attach to "things" whether its a car in high school, a ring or a house..

a house is but materials it takes people to make it a home..

some people don't have a very positive life in a house/home and want to forget it,,,
but

homes are often where you see your baby take the first steps, or remember the first day of school or remember many family members that have died off and many Christmas's

i can drive by my childhood home 4 times a day and each time conjur up an old memory ..

ive lived in the same house for 24 yrs,,,,yup I'm emotionally attached,,,
if i sell it and make some money , ill be happy about that ...

but its more "time" specific memories than the "place"

i love my house.....sounds dumb saying this ,,,but i look out the bay window in the living room now and see a beautiful lake and hear loons ... daily and see eagles and ospreys and fish a lot,,

so yeah i guess i am emotionally attached i want to stay in this house as long as i can and if i die here,,,then great!!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:09 AM

26,415 posts, read 62,641,511 times
Very much so.

We spent 9 years lovingly restoring a historic house. We believe owners of a historic house are caretakers, not owners of the history of the home, and owe future generations a duty to reasonably preserve the historic character of the house. We were also very involved in our neighborhood and concerned that any purchaser be a good neighbor and active in the community.

We had restored the house to an historic condition. We spent years researching and locating appropriate materials to replace things that had been removed or "updated." We stripped lead paint off miles of gorgeous moldings and door and window casings. We bought expensive period wallper, lincrusta, even door hardware had to match the existing or at least come from the same period and style. An artist friend hand painted ceiling medallions for us to coordinate with the wallpaper. We took the ornate stairway rail and spindles and had them professionally dipped and refinished and then I stripped and stained the stairs inch by inch. The stairway was beautiful. People walked into our house and their jaws literally dropped. They would say they had no idea there were houses like this in Orange County California.

Our house was on the market for three months. We turned down one offer both because it was low and because they wanted to turn the house into a multi unit rental and we were not willing to do that to the house or to our neighbors. We had pretty much decided after 3 months not to sell the house and just stay for four more years (our oldest kids were just about to start high school). When we told our realtor to pull the listing off the market, she called a guy who looked at the house the first week and made a lowball offer and told him if he was still interested, he needed to make a more realistic offer immediately.

He made a much better offer, but still lower than we were hoping to get. We told the realtor we were not sure and we wanted to meet him and find out his plans for the house and what he was like.

He told us he restores a lot of older homes and rents them out. He said he was very much into preserving history and had won awards for historic restoration. He said he planned to keep this house for himself to live in because this one was special and he liked it so much and it was so well restored, this was to be HIS forever home. He said he was looking forward to joining the local neighborhood association and the local historical society. He even gave us some addresses of houses he restored to go look at (not certain but we later became fairly sure he never had anything to do with those homes).

We decided to accept his offer. He then proceeded to tear out the historical elements we had so carefully restored, replacing early 1900s light fixtures with home depot ceiling boobs, tearing out the beautiful 16" yellow pine baseboard moldings and replacing it with awful 2" plastic nothing molding. Gutting the mostly original kitchen and replacing it with a completely out of place 1950s diner kitchen, he covered the 100 year old restored maple floors with Pergo, took down the period wallpaper and painted every room the same mustard yellow, painted the staircase a turd brown,plastered the bathrooms with modern southwestern tile, stuck plastic molding and plastic door casings ectetera everywhere. . . .

He also lived in the house while he was doing the work, and then rented it out. Plus he was a terrible neighbor, joined nothing and was basically a surly curmudgeon who snapped at people who tried to get to know him. Everyone in the neighborhood hated him. He lived up to his name (Dick Schuetz - pronounced Sh1t$).

We were appalled. Our former neighbors were not happy. He then tried to sell the house. He had an open house and some of our neighbors went to check it out. They said people coming through would look at the out of place modern elements and Just laugh or say "WTF happened to this house?" It was no longer charming, but not modern either. It looked like it had been re-decorated by a nine year old. It did not sell.

We eventually learned he had spent $250,000 butchering the house. After a couple of years, the bank took it and sold it for $350,000 below what he paid for it. He lost $600,000. We celebrated. We were happy to see butchering a historic house and sticking in a bunch of random out of place modern elements did not pay off. However we would have been far happier if he had preserved the historic elements, kept the house charming and unique and made a killing (even though he turned out to be a complete jerk).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-02-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 08:33 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,609,697 times
ColdJensens, wow, what a shame! That guy was a total jerk.

As for missing a former residence, I've hardly had a chance. I've been in this house for 40 years and while it was not my dream house, it'll do. I don't anticipate moving at this point. Like another poster, my only regret about my previous house was purchasing it for $15,000, sold it 8 years later for $30,000, and now seeing that it's worth $425,000. Changing times.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,153,560 times
What I forgot to mention in my last post, right before we packed, I took a camera and walked around every inch of the house. (Didn't do the outside). This way, if I ever feel nostalgic, I can watch the video. Also, it will be make me be more grateful for the house we are living in now.

Cat

Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 45,283 times
This was going to be our last house, our retirement house. Then we decided the area didn't suit us and we're going to move in 3 years once our son graduates from high school. It's already "not our house". LOL! We're making improvements and fixing things up slowly but surely to get it in shape to sell and enjoy it while we're here and 'just in case' hubby's employer says 'no' to a transfer, but I'm emotionally detached to it already.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:17 PM

6,820 posts, read 7,209,439 times
As for photos, excellent idea. I'll take pictures…but to prove what condition the house it's in when listed and at the last walk through. Just so the buyers don't say something was a certain way when it wasn't.

Let's see if this makes sense to anyone…let me know if you can identify with this….
I like this house. But I'm already looking forward to retirement, when it's time to sell and go.

Oddly enough, because I'm already -- ready to go….even though I still like this house A LOT, I can't say I LOVE it like I used to. When I bought it I redesigned, I decorated it, I invested in it. I was soooo into decor and the kitchen remodel, getting "Braziilian cherry" hard wood floors, etc. I was "emotionally high" on owning and decorating/remodeling my own home!

Now, anything that I haven't changed yet, won't get changed, anything I haven't updated I just won't do. I'm so looking ahead, that I'm not putting anymore money into THIS part of my housing life….until I prep it for sale. I just want to move on….to retirement and move back to the paid off family home…..and do any new changes there. I'm not really done with or "over" home ownership, but I am sort of done with being over emotionally invested in THIS current house. Because, again, I do still like it.

I suppose, for example, if others are also looking forward with pleasure to the next life phase -- others eager for retirement, or maybe parents, looking forward with pleasure to downsizing after the last kid goes to college, perhaps you can relate.

As long as I'm here I like it, but I'm just ready to more on….but just can't do that for a while yet. But mentally I'm already there.

Sunflower girl, I hadn't seen you post…but you get exactly what I mean

Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM

667 posts, read 388,126 times
I cannot tell you the color of the carpet in my last house. Or the square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or