Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

I have a very reasonable cable bill of about $35/month for basic TV and internet services.

My local cable provider is changing and my rates are set to triple for the same level of service!

Of course the claim to justify the increase is that more service is being provided, but my level of consumption will not change, and they simply don't offer inexpensive basic services.

Is there anything I can do about this besides cancelling my service? Is there no regulation on cable companies, how quickly they can raise their rates, and their monopolistic divvying up of territory?

I have a feeling the answer is "no" to all my questions, but I just thought I'd ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I have a very reasonable cable bill of about $35/month for basic TV and internet services.

My local cable provider is changing and my rates are set to triple for the same level of service!

Of course the claim to justify the increase is that more service is being provided, but my level of consumption will not change, and they simply don't offer inexpensive basic services.

Is there anything I can do about this besides cancelling my service? Is there no regulation on cable companies, how quickly they can raise their rates, and their monopolistic divvying up of territory?

I have a feeling the answer is "no" to all my questions, but I just thought I'd ask.
Rates may be regulated thru a franchise agreement with your local political body (city or county)... might check with the city clerk.

They don't have a monopoly since you do have other options to get service - there is competition... primarily from satellite or dish providers.. might check one of them out.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Thanks for the advice, I'll check with the city.

I'm moving soon, so the length of dish contracts make them unsuitable for me.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
They SUCK! They all SUCK!
There's nothing better I like than being held-up or held hostage EVERYDAY 24/7 by a cable company!
I've complained, gripped, yelled, written lengthy and demanding letters- for what?
A Blue face, and a raised vein on my forehead right where the coax cable gun was pointed!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I wish I could comment, but I've never lived in a home with Cable TV...

The city should have a franchise agreement and in theory that might help?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:53 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Sadly, I think it's just the way things are going. I wanted to get a DVR from my cable provider. The only way to get one was to upgrade to digital cable. So now I have to pay more for channels I do not want. I called two days ago to see if there was a cheaper plan than one one I'm on. Their only offer was to pay $1 more per month for 31 more channels. I don't want more, I want less channels for less charges. No such luck. And the whole "bundling" their services doesn't help because I don't have a home computer and have no desire to get one. Also, I rarely use my home telephone so I wouldn't need/want to bundle that into a service package either. Everything has turned into bulk purchasing....you can't just get the minimum anymore.

Good luck to you in your quest. I hope you find a cheaper solution.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
It might not be a monopoly, but it sure is an oligopoly. Consequently, we don't have cable or satellite TV because as much as I'd like to have it, I don' t feel like spending around $50/month and almost all of my entertainment comes from the Internet.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
The best move right now for TV is internet. The networks have full episodes of their popular shows online and websites like hulu can get them for you in one place, and set up queues for you. So instead of paying $110 through Comcast for cable and internet I pay $45 for internet through clearwire. The connection is a tiny bit slower but it isn't $65 slower.

The only thing I miss a little bit is my state is on a northern border and with cable I got a canadian channel which had one of my favorite shows. Their network has the show on its website but only canadians are allowed to access it! So for that show I have to watch it in three parts on youtube which is sort of cheating and I feel kind of guilty about it. It's getting cancelled soon anyway.

Anyhoo, dropping cable has been a much easier experience than I thought it would be and I urge anyone who is unhappy with Comcast to do it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelcomcastandbefree
The best move right now for TV is internet. The networks have full episodes of their popular shows online and websites like hulu can get them for you in one place, and set up queues for you. So instead of paying $110 through Comcast for cable and internet I pay $45 for internet through clearwire.
i ditched cable for satellite, and then ditched satellite for a home theater PC w/ an outdoor antenna hooked to it, plus hulu and netflix streaming, and another app called 'secondrun.tv'.

we have all the programming we could ever need "on demand", and the HTPC dvr function records everything we watch from the networks off the antenna.

saw no point in paying for all those channels we never watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House