U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 PM

1,656 posts, read 819,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I almost bought a house with train tracks behind it. The good thing is that it made the back yard look bigger and you could not see the neighbors behind you. It was not a commuter line as far as I know and the tenant in the home said it only ran a few times a day. Turns out that the house did not appraise for the asking value so I had to keep looking. I hated waiting but I found a better home 2 months later and 2 months after that I closed on it.
Only?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 02:44 AM

611 posts, read 330,148 times
Cannot / will not:

Lots of toys/playground equipment/basketball goals/ etc, really anything indicating child heavy neighborhood
Open floor plan, especially no separate dining room
Corner lot. I will not be the neighborhood cut through again.
Less than 2 bathrooms

Prefer attached garage, and plenty of closet space

Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,118,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I would prefer no HOA, but they tend to be a fact of life in any newer development. The one I'm in now is pretty laid back. People park their RVs by the side of the house. The HOA president even complemented me on my walking my chocolate lab off leash, as he was petting her. Sometimes there are vehicles parked in the street and some people leave their vehicle in the driveway all the time. But the houses all look nice and there is no hint of trashiness. Contrast that to some of the more onerous rules, like no BBQ in your back yard, no pickup trucks allowed and everything has to be parked in the garage and if you walk your well behaved dog off leash people would freak out.
That's the reason I will never buy in a new development, not a fan of HOA at all.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,129,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Call me a freak, but I dislike ceramic tile floors and granite counter tops. Formica counter tops and vinyl flooring for this guy!
I wont call you a freak, but i do find your preference odd. I have formica and vinyl and it is going bye bye in short order.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,129,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I agree - I'd never buy in a neighborhood with an overly controlling HOA but a laid back HOA with minimal fees is something I consider a positive. I don't want my neighbors running a puppy mill out of their garage next door, or leaving junk cars up on blocks in the street, or parking their 18 wheeler or school bus out front.
Oh holy hell! There is that junk car up on blocks reference again. why oh why does this one reference always come up? The pro HOA people make it appear that there is an epidemic of cars up on blocks in non HOA neighborhoods! I can drive around my neighborhood and there are no cars up on blocks. Yes this could change tomorrow, so could a laid back HOA become a monster with just a few changes in personnel on the board.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:50 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,776,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Only?!!
Only as opposed to a busy commuter line with trains running every 15 minutes past your house.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 AM

44,684 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
HOAs can change on a dime and that's the problem. My HOA started out extremely laid back and is now insane. Yup, I attend meetings and vote. Heck, I've even served on the board.

Never again will I buy into an HOA. I did not appreciate the true extent of their power until a neighbor had issues with ours. Things got so bad that, despite winning a court case, she still sold and moved. A lawsuit that the rest of the HOA members (including her) had to pay for, btw. I had no idea how few laws there are to protect you from an HOA.
I'm not doubting your story but I'll balance it by saying I've been buying properties with a HOA for about twenty five years (at least five during that time) and not once have I ever had an issue with the way the HOA was run, or the small cost per year. I'm sure they can sometimes be a PIA but I've just never experienced it. But I'm only buying properties with reasonable restrictions that I appreciate and small HOAs which have limited power.

My best friend lives in a townhouse, gated community though, and I would hate living with that HOA. It's the type of place which literally controls what color of flowers you have in your front yard. No joke.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Oh holy hell! There is that junk car up on blocks reference again. why oh why does this one reference always come up? The pro HOA people make it appear that there is an epidemic of cars up on blocks in non HOA neighborhoods! I can drive around my neighborhood and there are no cars up on blocks. Yes this could change tomorrow, so could a laid back HOA become a monster with just a few changes in personnel on the board.
Hey, why are you taking this so personally? I've actually lived in a neighborhood without an HOA and seen all sorts of crap happening, including but not limited to junk cars sitting out on the curb apparently forever.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD buy in a neighborhood with an HOA. I'm just saying why I prefer a neighborhood with an HOA. My reasons are valid. And I'm sure yours are too - for your situation and preferences. To each his own.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:55 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,885,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I agree - I'd never buy in a neighborhood with an overly controlling HOA but a laid back HOA with minimal fees is something I consider a positive. I don't want my neighbors running a puppy mill out of their garage next door, or leaving junk cars up on blocks in the street, or parking their 18 wheeler or school bus out front.
Your town's zoning laws should prevent truly egregious problems like the ones you mentioned.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Your town's zoning laws should prevent truly egregious problems like the ones you mentioned.
And it does to some extent but not to the extent I prefer it (for instance, leaving cars parked on the street is not against the zoning laws but it is against the HOA laws in our neighborhood).

I like properties with common areas like parks or pools or walking trails. These areas require upkeep. Hence the small yearly HOA fees.

I also like that fencing and storage buildings must be approved beforehand, and there's a limit of one storage building (must have a roof that matches the house) in each yard. This is because I have lived in a neighborhood that had a hodgepodge of storage buildings and fences and it looked like Dogpatch USA.

It is also not against the zoning laws to permanently park an RV of any size at a home. But it is against our HOA laws. In other words, you can have guests for 2 weeks but you can't store your RV on your lot in our neighborhood.

Our HOA controls the materials a home is built of. There's a wide range, but each home must be at least 50 percent brick. The homes in our neighborhood have varying styles and colors but they are all mostly or all brick.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-10-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House