U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 PM

44,181 posts, read 35,687,076 times

Advertisements

Blue collar - THE HORROR!

There's such a thing as a blue collar professional, by the way. Think certain types of engineers, project managers, safety consultants, etc.

Just a reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 PM

57 posts, read 28,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I agree - I'd never buy in a neighborhood with an overly controlling HOA but a laid back HOA with minimal fees is something I consider a positive. I don't want my neighbors running a puppy mill out of their garage next door, or leaving junk cars up on blocks in the street, or parking their 18 wheeler or school bus out front.

A HOA is not needed - almost any city or county would have regulations against these.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 PM

5,818 posts, read 5,129,762 times
I was thinking about this last night and remembering that when I was house hunting I never even would look in the garage of properties I was viewing, even though the realtor always wanted to show them off to me. The first house I owned had an attached garage and I hardly ever parked in it because I thought it brought too much stinky car smell into the house. I don't even use the garage on my property - it's where the barn cats sleep at night and where tools and equipment live. I park in a shed during our snowy northern winters, and that shed is on the far other end of my three acre property. Of course, it's also only about 8 feet from the farm road, so I don't have to shovel much.

An attached garage without a mudroom or other barrier from the rest of the house would be a major deal breaker for me because of the smell.

Road trips are fun, though.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
A HOA is not needed - almost any city or county would have regulations against these.
Not necessarily. And if there are such restrictions, they're often not enforced well. So I prefer living in a neighborhood with the "mild version" of an HOA. To each his own.

I don't want a mobile home, or a 1000 square foot modular home, or a dome home, or duplexes built right next door or across the street from my house. I don't want to live in a neighborhood that allows people to build two houses on one 1/2 acre lot, for instance. I don't want to live in a neighborhood with few restrictions on home size or the type of building materials used. I prefer living in a neighborhood of similarly valued, single family homes, and I prefer restrictions against parking on the street permanently (as opposed to guests parking there, or residents parking there while their driveway is being expanded or something like that).

Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 PM

4,631 posts, read 2,493,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Blue collar - THE HORROR!

There's such a thing as a blue collar professional, by the way. Think certain types of engineers, project managers, safety consultants, etc.

Just a reminder.
No need for reminders. I am well aware of talented, often self-employed blue collar professionals and respect their handiwork. Nothing I said about wanting to live near educated people like myself indicated that I look down on blue collar workers.

By the way, I agree with you about preferring no regular, overnight street parking.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 AM

1,651 posts, read 803,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
I beg to differ. The regulations that the HOA enforces trumps the city/county regulations because they contain "specifics" on area upkeep, maintenance, requirements/restrictions, etc. The city is only concerned with generalized maintenance/upkeep, which could take months, possibly years to correct since they have to prioritize with other area issues.

If an area/neighborhood values the overall look and feel (property values), they will have some sort of HOA in place. I personally would not want to live in an area without an HOA.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 09-14-2016 at 12:24 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No need for reminders. I am well aware of talented, often self-employed blue collar professionals and respect their handiwork. Nothing I said about wanting to live near educated people like myself indicated that I look down on blue collar workers.

By the way, I agree with you about preferring no regular, overnight street parking.

Thanks, but what I was pointing out is that some blue collar professionals have degrees under their hardhats and are quite well educated as well. (For instance, my husband - and get this, there are sometimes TWO trucks parked in our driveway - though never out on the street because that's against our HOA restrictions!) Not only does he have a college degree, he has also traveled extensively all over the world, lived in various foreign countries, and reads voraciously.

He's not unusual in his line of work, which is definitely "blue collar." Most of the people in his job category are engineers - who drive four wheel drive pickups.

I used to be pretty uneducated about what constituted a "blue collar worker" myself. I sort of subconsciously thought that being blue collar meant a person didn't have much in the way of a formal education after high school.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I beg to differ. The regulations that the HOA enforces trumps the city/county regulations because they contain "specifics" on area upkeep, maintenance, requirements/restrictions. The cty is only concerned with generalized maintenance/upkeep, which could take months, possibly years to correct since they have to prioritize with other area issues.

If an area/neighborhood values the overall look and feel (property values), they will have some sort of HOA in place.
Absolutely. I wouldn't live in a neighborhood WITHOUT an HOA. And I'm no snob - but I like the idea of my property value being well protected.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 AM

7,028 posts, read 3,985,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
It is me belief that the reason snout houses were built is to make the house appear to be much larger (sq ft ) than it really is.

My first home was a snout house. The reason they exist is simple. To maximize the number of houses that can be built in a given area and still allow for a two car garage. Every house was 24 ft wide and 40 ft deep. Lots were 34 ft wide, so you had 10 feet between houses, and 100 feet deep. Seven feet on the entry side belonged to you and three feet on the backside belonged to you. It served its purpose, but it was really nice to move into a much larger house with a three car side entry garage. That house looked beautiful from the front. No garage doors to be seen at all. The difference in curb appeal between the two was amazing.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 AM

7,028 posts, read 3,985,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I was thinking about this last night and remembering that when I was house hunting I never even would look in the garage of properties I was viewing, even though the realtor always wanted to show them off to me. The first house I owned had an attached garage and I hardly ever parked in it because I thought it brought too much stinky car smell into the house. I don't even use the garage on my property - it's where the barn cats sleep at night and where tools and equipment live. I park in a shed during our snowy northern winters, and that shed is on the far other end of my three acre property. Of course, it's also only about 8 feet from the farm road, so I don't have to shovel much.

An attached garage without a mudroom or other barrier from the rest of the house would be a major deal breaker for me because of the smell.

Road trips are fun, though.

I've never had a "barrier" between the garage and the house and I've never had any odor issues in the house. That's because there can be no direct air pathway between the two. When it's freezing cold outside it's really nice to be able push the Homelink button, start the engine, and back out in my nice warm pickup with dry windows and mirrors. I can't imagine denying myself that luxury. And my truck has heated seats and steering wheel and autostart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House