U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 AM

5,471 posts, read 2,856,170 times

Advertisements

Dealbreakers:

Noisy street or neighborhood
Sketchy neighborhood
Not enough garage space
Bad smells in the house (pets, smoke, garbage, BO, etc)
"Kiddy" rooms--I mean bedrooms and bathrooms that an adult can't stand in--yes, we looked at a house like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 01:24 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,535,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
OMG. this is such snobbery that I can't believe that you of all people would even say it. It's BS. A travel trailer in someone else's driveway won't drop your property value even a single dollar. And neither will vinyl siding on someone else's house.

You've seen pictures of my house. I have vinyl siding and a travel trailer and I'm sure as **** glad I don't live next to busybodies in an HOA. Oh, and my property value is only going up.

This is from when my son and daughter in law came to stay with us for a couple weeks from the west coast. I let them stay in the travel trailer. It's a $45,000 RV and if someone had said it needed to be moved to protect their property values, I'd have run them off for being stupid.

Looking at that RV picture, it must have been parked there within a day or two of taking the picture ( freshly mowed lawn underneath RV )

In my community, nothing may be parked on a grass lawn.
Any car, RV, etc must be parked on a prepared surface ( concrete, tar, or crushed rock )

Once you allow people to park on lawns you soon have dirt yards.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,856,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It makes perfect sense to have a pickup truck in Alaska, but if a neighborhood in the SF Bay Area were to have an abundance of trucks in driveways or parked on the street in front of homes regularly (instead of in a 3-car garage as a lightly-used third vehicle), the impression given would be that the residents were less likely to be well-educated professionals and more likely to be blue collar.

We are well-educated professionals who don't smoke, and we'd like our neighbors to be more like us, as we would prefer to live in a community where the odds are greater that we would want to socialize with our neighbors.

In 2011 a study was done which indicated individuals with a bachelor's degree or more had a smoking prevalence rate of 9.1 percent. I think that's a nationwide average, as obviously Californians smoke much less than average anyway and Kentuckians and West Virginians smoke much more than average.
SMUG ALERT!!!

If this represents a typical SF Bay resident, I am happy to have never spent any money there, or any time other than waiting in an airport for a connecting flight elsewhere.

How you can generalize pickups-->blue collar owners only-->high rate of cigarette smoking doesn't exactly support what your degrees represent.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:32 AM

1,528 posts, read 912,902 times
Detached or hallways attached ( no or very little bedroom and living room areas attached back to back with attached neighbor)

No dependency on on-street parking

Under 2 full bathrooms (or priced accordingly and easy to add)

Location (easy walking distance to specific things)

Just about everything else is flexible if property is priced accordingly and can be fixed within budget.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:12 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,778,187 times
My list starts with curb appeal of the neighborhood and the house itself. I have passed on looking at houses without ever seeing them as the neighborhood was crap.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,072,160 times
For my next house, less than 10 acres of land.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:47 AM

22,767 posts, read 28,832,165 times
Deal Breakers? Bad location: bad neighborhood, heavy traffic noise, right next to freeway, high crime rate. Bad floor plan with no way to fix it.

Probably a deal breaker: structural issues, unless the house is really cheap. A floor with no bathroom, unless it would be very easy to add one, which it never is.

Not a problem: needs paint, needs a new roof, needs new flooring, old appliances, Formica, vinyl floors, bad landscaping, needs new windows or insulation, just as long as the price leaves me room to get those things done,

Then, of course, the standard things like too far to commute to work. But then I would not be shopping for a house that far out.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,535,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My list starts with curb appeal of the neighborhood and the house itself. I have passed on looking at houses without ever seeing them as the neighborhood was crap.
Which is why I want to do a driveby before I end up wasting my time and my realtor's time.

A crappy house can be fixed ( usually) if the price is right.

Money can't fix a crappy neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:58 PM

5,435 posts, read 6,683,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It makes perfect sense to have a pickup truck in Alaska, but if a neighborhood in the SF Bay Area were to have an abundance of trucks in driveways or parked on the street in front of homes regularly (instead of in a 3-car garage as a lightly-used third vehicle), the impression given would be that the residents were less likely to be well-educated professionals and more likely to be blue collar.

We are well-educated professionals who don't smoke, and we'd like our neighbors to be more like us, as we would prefer to live in a community where the odds are greater that we would want to socialize with our neighbors.

In 2011 a study was done which indicated individuals with a bachelor's degree or more had a smoking prevalence rate of 9.1 percent. I think that's a nationwide average, as obviously Californians smoke much less than average anyway and Kentuckians and West Virginians smoke much more than average.
Seriously?! My brother is a lawyer and successful partner at his firm. He also teaches a litigation class at a nearby law school. And he drives a huge pick-up truck that probably costs more than you make in a year. Why? Because he likes it. Looking at him, you would never guess - suit and tie, very clean cut, designer clothes, etc. But for some reason, he loves his truck. BTW, it's usually parked on the street because it's literally too bug to fit in the garage. Oh, and he doesn't smoke and lives in a gated community.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 PM

4,082 posts, read 3,107,448 times
When I was last shopping for a house in 2012 I could not afford to have any dealbreakers because I was living in an expensive real estate market. However there were three conditions I was trying very hard to avoid and I miraculously lucked out. Those three conditions were:
  • Sloped/hilly driveway
  • Small lot (less than half acre)
  • Less than 1 and 3/4 bathrooms (I wanted two toilets and two shower facilities in case of maintenance issues)

The house I found has three full bathrooms and a two car garage. Today I would add no garage to the list of conditions to avoid. I would absolutely hate to go back to living without a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House