U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM

7,040 posts, read 3,999,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It makes perfect sense to have a pickup truck in Alaska, but if a neighborhood in the SF Bay Area were to have an abundance of trucks in driveways or parked on the street in front of homes regularly (instead of in a 3-car garage as a lightly-used third vehicle), the impression given would be that the residents were less likely to be well-educated professionals and more likely to be blue collar.

We are well-educated professionals who don't smoke, and we'd like our neighbors to be more like us, as we would prefer to live in a community where the odds are greater that we would want to socialize with our neighbors.

In 2011 a study was done which indicated individuals with a bachelor's degree or more had a smoking prevalence rate of 9.1 percent. I think that's a nationwide average, as obviously Californians smoke much less than average anyway and Kentuckians and West Virginians smoke much more than average.
In Alaska most blue collar types will drive the lower trim level pickups. Professionals will drive the upper trim levels. If you see a bunch of Ford F-150 Platinum and GMC Denali pickups, you can bet you're in an upscale professional neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 07:27 AM

10,142 posts, read 4,743,123 times
My Deal Breakers:

- Bad Neighborhood
- Busy Road
- Not near a school
- Flood prone area
- No garage
- Washer & dryer in the house

I used to have more deal breakers but I am buying my deceased aunt's house for a great price and walking away from the closing with about $50K. I have to put on a new roof, pay my realtor, my mother (who is the seller) so I will net about $36K. The house was built in 1970 and the only thing my aunt updated was putting down nice tile floors, replacing the central a/c and putting up some hideous wallpaper in the very large, eat-in kitchen. The washer & dryer are in the garage put there is plenty of room in the kitchen to relocate them behind the louvered doors that now serve as the pantry. I am going to put all new cabinets & counters in the kitchen, buy new appliances and redo the master bathroom shower. Then I must paint the outside as my aunt painted it the most horrible color green you can imagine.

Some of the issues with her house would cause me to walk away if I was paying what the comps say the house is worth. I will have a lot of work making it nice, but it's doable.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My Deal Breakers:

- Bad Neighborhood
- Busy Road
- Not near a school
- Flood prone area
- No garage
- Washer & dryer in the house
My deal breaker would be washer and dryer NOT being in the house. I don't know of anyone who enjoys running out to the garage to do their laundry.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM

914 posts, read 807,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My deal breaker would be washer and dryer NOT being in the house. I don't know of anyone who enjoys running out to the garage to do their laundry.
Shucks I would. My last place had a huge indoor laundry room. If I had stayed (sold it & moved for other reasons) I would have returned the washer/dryer to the (attached) garage and converted the indoor laundry room to a guest room + 1/2 bath. The "inconvenience" would have meant opening the door to the garage to do laundry vs opening the door to the laundry room.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:01 AM

16,564 posts, read 13,975,171 times
No deal breakers except price. Everything is negotiable.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,164,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
OMG. this is such snobbery that I can't believe that you of all people would even say it. It's BS. A travel trailer in someone else's driveway won't drop your property value even a single dollar. And neither will vinyl siding on someone else's house.

You've seen pictures of my house. I have vinyl siding and a travel trailer and I'm sure as **** glad I don't live next to busybodies in an HOA. Oh, and my property value is only going up.

This is from when my son and daughter in law came to stay with us for a couple weeks from the west coast. I let them stay in the travel trailer. It's a $45,000 RV and if someone had said it needed to be moved to protect their property values, I'd have run them off for being stupid.

I think in MD, vinyl siding is normal. I posted to get ideas on a siding color to go with stone and I was ridiculed for wanting vinyl.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Shucks I would. My last place had a huge indoor laundry room. If I had stayed (sold it & moved for other reasons) I would have returned the washer/dryer to the (attached) garage and converted the indoor laundry room to a guest room + 1/2 bath. The "inconvenience" would have meant opening the door to the garage to do laundry vs opening the door to the laundry room.
We had a rental in AZ with W/D in garage. In the summer. It would be 125 degrees in there. And it smelled because the garbage can was also in there, per HOA rules. In the winter, the garage in our Alaska house is about 55 degrees. A little chilly to be doing laundry. Not to mention how much real estate you lose. So the inconvenience is more than a different door to open.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,235,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We had a rental in AZ with W/D in garage. In the summer. It would be 125 degrees in there. And it smelled because the garbage can was also in there, per HOA rules. In the winter, the garage in our Alaska house is about 55 degrees. A little chilly to be doing laundry. Not to mention how much real estate you lose. So the inconvenience is more than a different door to open.
My W/D is in the garage. The other side of the wall from my kitchen sink.

It takes up about 21sq ft. so I don't know what real estate you are losing. Shelf on wall over the machines for detergent, stain remover, fabric softener.

Garage is vented on side and roof. I did laundry the other day when it was 120. Much cooler than outside. Trash is outside underground.

It takes maybe a minute to fill the washer and another minute an hour later to put them in the dryer. That is the only time I spend in the garage.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,235,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I know several that got rid of a first floor laundry room and had it moved to the basement. One made a bedroom the others made really big closets.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:53 PM

461 posts, read 359,658 times
1) Internet, ..broadband/fiber or at least bonded cpper dsl. This is 2017 not 1998 . Any home lacking some form of early 21st century internet no matter How appealing Is Out, The Rest Of My Deal Breakers Don't Matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House