Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times

Advertisements

We have a 2 story house, plus a walk out basement. All floors are finished. The HVAC and ducts run through each story in our home. We can keep our main and upper floor at great temps but the basement is always freezing. If I adjust the thermostat for warming up the basement the top too floors get wayyyy to hot.

I need a solution as we have 2 guest rooms down there plus a big den. My parents stay regularly and the poor things are freezing. I'm thinking I'm going to need some stand alone system down there. I need something that is as efficient as possible but mainly safe, no fire hazards.

The guest bedrooms in the basement do great with radiant heating panels we have when the doors are shut. But the big den is freezing. We've got it set up for guests to enjoy but it's too cold. Really need ideas to warm the space and keep it warm. The basement den is probably 18 X 21 feet. My folks love their little apartment down there when visiting but it needs to be much warmer. Do I get a gas fireplace installed? Floor board heaters? I'm at a loss and we want to utilize this space. Cannot do radiant floor, we just got the floors done and dont want to rip them up. And I don't want my house to burn down if something gets left on like a space heater which doesn't really help to heat that much space anyway.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Do you have cold air returns in the basement rooms or only heat ducts?

Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
What type of HVAC system(s) do you have? How many?
What are the Btu's? A/C?

"HVAC ducts run through each floor"- doesn't say anything.

If I had to guess- you have a finished basement with tapped ducts that were designed specifically for the first floor- not the basement AND first floor.

A basement with a standalone system is usually the best thing to do- how to do "after-the-fact" depends on a lot of things.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
Well I'm just a wife and mom so I don't really know about btu's etc, I'll have to look. I know there is no return in the basement, just in the upper 2 floors. The basement has vents that look like the ones on the other floors, the 10 inch wide ones with metal plates.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default There's efficient, and there's total cost -- electric is "efficient" but will cost more to run.

Look into where the heat is going -- is it all escaping to the upstairs, or are there drafts or insulation issues with the basement itself?

As mentioned, with no returns in the basement, the main heating system is going to have issues keeping the basement comfortable. It should be cheap enough to add a return to the basement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
The guest bedrooms in the basement do great with radiant heating panels we have when the doors are shut. But the big den is freezing. We've got it set up for guests to enjoy but it's too cold. Really need ideas to warm the space and keep it warm. The basement den is probably 18 X 21 feet. My folks love their little apartment down there when visiting but it needs to be much warmer. Do I get a gas fireplace installed?
For a basement den, I would get a direct vent gas fireplace (for ambience) or a quality direct vent gas wall furnace (for efficiency). Both styles are available with thermostats, remotes, timers, etc.

I have a Rinnai gas-fired wall furnace with "modulating" burner and variable speed fan, it does a great job of keeping a closed room comfortable. When the room isn't in use, can put it in a freeze-protection mode where it only comes on when the room gets unusually cold.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Well I'm just a wife and mom so I don't really know about btu's etc, I'll have to look. I know there is no return in the basement, just in the upper 2 floors. The basement has vents that look like the ones on the other floors, the 10 inch wide ones with metal plates.
You need to have return ducts in order to get the rooms warm air circulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House