Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I didn't hear a thing but then again I'm a heavy sleeper. It takes alot to wake me up. Also, my bedroom is on the second floor and faces the backyard. I guess those two things combined are why I didn't hear him.

Nope, no insurance issues. It didn't hit the roof. There was hardly any damage. My husband was able to twist/bend the gutter back into place and secure it again. The only other damage is that the wood came apart on the handrail but that'll be an easy fix too.
Could be he rang your bell, you slept through it, he thought the branch might fall and do further damage, so removed it. Or he simply wanted the wood.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I'm a native Southerner, but I can see why you might see it as intrusive. I'll sometimes remove fallen branches from my neighbors property, but I'll only go about 15' over the property line, no way I'd actually go up next to their house.

It was probably just a one time thing though, and like others have said, he was probably trying to help. If he has only been there a year he may just be trying to fit in and make friends. Now if you start seeing him in your yard frequently that's another story.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
What's going on here is just an urban vs rural culture clash, and though I don't know where GPC lives, you will find rural people living in cities and city people living in rural areas. Each side brings their culture with them wherever they live. The neighbor in question is just coming from a rural culture where neighbors help neighbors without being asked.

I live in a very small town in Vermont and have done the same thing as the neighbor in question, grabbing a chain saw and just start cutting without the neighbor even being home. I have one neighbor (husband & wife) that I generally steer clear of but there is also an elderly & sickly woman living in the house. If the husband is away and we get more than a couple inches of snow I will go shovel the ramp from the house to the garage so that she can exit easily if there is a medical emergency. I figure the wife is taking care of the old woman and doesn't need to be shoveling snow too during an emergency. I'm sometimes the recipient. One example is someone showing up with a small backhoe/bucket loader when he saw I was struggling moving stones during a stone wall repair project of mine. This is all normal here.

I have also seen urban people come here not understanding the culture, and unknowingly getting off on the wrong foot by misinterpreting what we see as neighborly gestures. So, GPC, say thanks to the guy and seek opportunities to be the good neighbor yourself, rural fashion.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
Living anywhere you get hurricanes quickly teaches you either learn to help your neighbors or you get to clean your whole yard up by yourself. Nasty neighbor with a house all jacked up. They learn how mean their neighbors can really be.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
You don't really know the neighbors motive. Really he should have asked you first. You were home but he didn't think you were home.

To me it sounds like he saw a problem, and saw that nobody was taking care of it so he did to be nice.

I had a back neighbor who I rented to and he was OCD and I had to tell him to stay out of my private area. I owned the whole property but he did maintain it in exchange for cheap rent. Both of felt taken advantage of but there were places where I drew the line. I didn't want him to ever go into my private patio and I told him that.

I still found him sneaking in to sweep. Sneaking.

That was because he didn't like the view from his window. He had issues and he wanted my patio to be swept so that he wouldn't have to look at it. That was going too far. He would spy out his window on me and the neighbors and mention what we were doing so that was being a freak. He did have good qualities but he went to far, one day he really crossed the line and he was asked to move. I never felt comfortable on my own property with him there. Now it isn't as well maintained and I struggle to keep up, but he is gone and his nasty energy is gone with him. Now I don't rent. I don't want someone on my property who isn't family. I have family that lives there now and they never spy and don't care what I do.

The point is that the neighbor was probably being nice with no other weird agenda. Sometimes people do have weird agendas.

I would be very grateful because it would be a problem for me. He probably had the right tools to do the job and he knew it needed to be done so he did it to be nice. You weren't doing it. He knew that you couldn't because you were working and couldn't get to it so he did it.

In my opinion that deserves a thank you, and then he would say what his motivation was, or thought process and you would get to know what he was thinking and why he did it. I think a 'thank you' is enough. You really do want to get along with your neighbor and go to extremes to make sure that you are on friendly terms because any future conflict should be negotiated in a friendly way, not a hostile way.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
I would love it if my neighbor did that for me. One of my neighbors does have a snow blower and has my drive cleared before I am up.during our very few snows.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:01 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I realize this neighbor was trying to be helpful but it just struck me odd. Honestly, it seems intrusive. It's my house and I don't want my neighbor coming onto my property without my permission to do any kind of work associated with it. I wonder what could happen in a scenario like this if the neighbor got hurt. Would we have been responsible? Or perhaps we wouldn't be responsible because he didn't get our permission first. It just seems to me that things could've gotten ugly had an injury resulted.

This neighbor moved in last year and we're neither on friendly or unfriendly terms with him. We've barely had any contact other than a few waves from our driveways. So, anyway, I'd like to know what other people think of this - was it helpful or intrusive? Would you be appreciative or annoyed?
It is...it's all a diversion to plant cameras in your home that are attached to ants. The South will be watching your moves. They'll be coming for you soon. I'll bet your neighbors have wind chimes up on their porches right? That's their sign...

I'm not sure what you did, but you really need to be packing up to leave town. Don't be fooled by their smiles. Those waves are designed to hypnotize you so you don't struggle as much when they offer you up to the mothership.

Have any of them offered you tea? May the lord have mercy on your soul if you've drank any. There is hope though....I know of an antidote, but the ingredients are rather expensive. If you can wire $5,000 to the account, I can get started. The good news is they think you are gone. Stay hidden until I get back to you.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:29 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It is...it's all a diversion to plant cameras in your home that are attached to ants. The South will be watching your moves. They'll be coming for you soon. I'll bet your neighbors have wind chimes up on their porches right? That's their sign...

I'm not sure what you did, but you really need to be packing up to leave town. Don't be fooled by their smiles. Those waves are designed to hypnotize you so you don't struggle as much when they offer you up to the mothership.

Have any of them offered you tea? May the lord have mercy on your soul if you've drank any. There is hope though....I know of an antidote, but the ingredients are rather expensive. If you can wire $5,000 to the account, I can get started. The good news is they think you are gone. Stay hidden until I get back to you.
Bwahahahaha! - best response on the entire thread!

Old 09-11-2016, 07:46 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
It's called being a "gracious receiver", meaning doing something for someone without expecting anything in return. You, the receiver just say Thank You, not taking the joy out of the one giving for no reason.

Tell a neighbor's act of kindness

Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

Your post is beyond ridiculous. Thank for the laugh though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House