Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times

Advertisements

It would have bothered me and I am a southerner. It would have made me uncomfortable to have someone come on my property without my knowledge. If it was his tree that fell on my house, I would still have appreciated a call telling me that he was going to take care of it.

Some of the responses here are ridiculous.

I once came home from work to find that a neighbor on the other side of a blooming overgrown hedge had cut it down to about 3 feet with a chainsaw after I had worked on it for hours the day before.

He was "just trying to help me"

Old 09-10-2016, 12:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
A bit harsh don't you think? Especially when the OP, further into the thread, admitted to overthinking this.

Allrighty then.
True. The OP did that.
The "thank him, but not pay him" sounded luke a bit of an attitude to me. SO maybe I'm the one who was over thinking there Fair enough?
I hope the neighbor is thanks with more than just word. And that doesn't mean any money is involved at all. Would a plate of cookies or bottle of wine -- kill a person to offer?

But, I also take opportunities to chat up -- and yes -- ingratiate myself with my neighbors. Because I know, no man is an island. And I very well might need them one day. And I'd rather they think to help me. Than turn their back.
The very person who you p*ss off or show no regard for -- is the one you might need one day. That's all.
It's always best to get along with neighbors than not. But of course, that's a two way street. Some neighbors just aren't the friendly type. Doesn't mean they wouldn't help you….but, I'd much rather have a neighbor and BE a neighbor that was cordial, and THOUGHTFUL -- than not.

Last edited by selhars; 09-10-2016 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

This neighbor moved in last year and we're neither on friendly or unfriendly terms with him. We've barely had any contact other than a few waves from our driveways. So, anyway, I'd like to know what other people think of this - was it helpful or intrusive? Would you be appreciative or annoyed?
Take some nice soft cookies, thank them for their helpfulness and then...say "How about we get together for coffee one weekend and get to know each other and maybe watch each others back, since you already have watched mine"

Old 09-10-2016, 03:48 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
You didn't notice a chain saw running outside your bedroom window??
Neighbors around here are only seen during a snow storm when we all get out to dig out the cars. I have my issues with some of that but I have to say it is nice to see a group help one another.
Were there insurance issues? Did you call you agent? If it hit the roof on the way down you might have damage.
I didn't hear a thing but then again I'm a heavy sleeper. It takes alot to wake me up. Also, my bedroom is on the second floor and faces the backyard. I guess those two things combined are why I didn't hear him.

Nope, no insurance issues. It didn't hit the roof. There was hardly any damage. My husband was able to twist/bend the gutter back into place and secure it again. The only other damage is that the wood came apart on the handrail but that'll be an easy fix too.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:50 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
It would have bothered me and I am a southerner. It would have made me uncomfortable to have someone come on my property without my knowledge. If it was his tree that fell on my house, I would still have appreciated a call telling me that he was going to take care of it.

Some of the responses here are ridiculous.

I once came home from work to find that a neighbor on the other side of a blooming overgrown hedge had cut it down to about 3 feet with a chainsaw after I had worked on it for hours the day before.

He was "just trying to help me"
Really? I am a southerner, too. I wouldn't be bothered in the least; matter of fact, I would have been grateful that they had been so nice as to have done something like this.

We will always try to do things for our neighbors, that's just what you do. I don't understand being offended or bothered by it at all.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah and it's a nasty stereotype also. One NOT to be proud of.

Fine. And the next time when you need help. I hope he let's you drown.
When you're house is on fire I hope he doesn't call the fire department.
If your car is hit, I hope he "didn't see a thing."
If he see you're husband lying on the lawn hurt or having a heart attack from cutting the next tree or mowing the lawn, he should let him stay there.

Why such an attitude when people were trying to help you…..
I never said I was proud or not proud of the way New Yorkers are stereotyped. It just is what it is.

The rest of your post is a bit much. You act like I need to depend on my neighbors for help in an emergency. The phone number 911 exists for a reason. Oh, and I don't plan on going swimming with my neighbors, lol.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I think many of you are missing the main point: It was an excuse/opportunity for the neighbor fella to use his chainsaw! Maybe it's just me but I love running my chain saw. Tree need trimmed? Get out the chain saw. Neighbor's tree loses a big branch? Get out the chain saw.

I just put mine in the shop yesterday for a tune up and new chain. Then it's time to trim trees. Yippee!
LOL, I guess it's a guy thing! I forgot that a chainsaw is like a toy to a guy!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Okay, maybe I should be appreciative instead of annoyed, lol! I'm a native New Yorker; I was born and raised in Queens and lived in New York for more than four decades. This sort of thing wouldn't happen in New York! So since I'm currently living in NC, I'll have to adjust my way of thinking. I'll be sure my husband has a friendly chat with our neighbor, although I don't necessarily feel like we owe him a gift.
You have managed to make New Yorkers look bad in a way that rivals the Kitty Genovese incident(for those who don't know she was young woman murdered in the 60s while her NY neighbors never bothered to call the police). That one incident tarnished New Yorkers as cold and uncaring for decades.

Talk about an ingrate.

Also how difficult is it walk over and say "Hello my name is GPC". Doesn't mean you have to become chummy.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
You know that those Southerners are out to get you one way or another. Lock the door, pull the blinds, living a year next to each other is nothing - make it ten for a 'want a beer'.

BTW my neighbor who just moved in called, got the number of the owner listing, a garage door was open. Considering what is in there - thank you!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have managed to make New Yorkers look bad in a way that rivals the Kitty Genovese incident(for those who don't know she was young woman murdered in the 60s while her NY neighbors never bothered to call the police). That one incident tarnished New Yorkers as cold and uncaring for decades.

Talk about an ingrate.

Also how difficult is it walk over and say "Hello my name is GPC". Doesn't mean you have to become chummy.
Wow, you're actually comparing my posts to a murder case?!!!

And it's not difficult to introduce ourselves. We did that on the day they moved in and obviously we didn't become chummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House