U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

Hello Members,

I am Pavan, first time home buyer. i wrote contract with one of the Builder in Austin TX.
as of now they have completed house till frame, electrical, plumbing, root. when i look at the home, house frame has lot of wood posts. i believe wood post is going to to one piece. I noticed that wood post are made up of small wood piece and had 4 to 5 joints on each wood post.
is this expected construction ?

i am worried about quality of the construction. is there any way to check if builder is using quality material to build home?

Please advise,

Thank you.
Pavan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:41 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,930,821 times
I'm assuming what you are calling posts are studs and the the pieces are finger joints. Research finger joint studs for your own clarification. At one time they were popular here with the over priced second level housing with the national home builders. They also used them on two story houses that also had a washer/dryer room upstairs. It didn't take long until several of the houses had plumbing leaks and the studs literally fell apart at the glue line. Several of the homes had to be completely torn down. They are no longer allowed by our local code. If you look closely at one it will have a stamp on it that says "for vertical use only". They cannot be used in the roof bracing or any place where the stud/wood is at any angle at all- they MUST be vertical only. If you are building inside the city limits and have city inspections, the inspector SHOULD find any odd studs/ lumber locations although that's not a 100% guarantee. If there are no city inspections, I would get a home inspector that is qualified with new construction and voice your concerns over the finger joint studs. Considering where the house is on the builders schedule, you're just about out of time before it's too late to get an inspection. Sounds like they are about to put in insulation and then drywall probably this week.

Quote:
is there any way to check if builder is using quality material to build home
Here's the argument I hear about FJ studs. One can argue that they are straighter than a single piece of wood. For the builder here, they were cheaper and therefore considered cheap crap. Most commonly, the guys doing the framing do not have college degrees, most can't speak english. Most cannot read so the stamp "for vertical use only" is a waste. So who is driving the bus when it comes to the quality of the build? The super on the job that probably is carrying another 15 houses and frankly, doesn't have the time to do a decent quality inspection of the frame. So it goes thru and if it works- great. If it doesn't, oh well. I would not be comfy with finger joint studs on the job at all. We never used them as they are easily picked up and used where they aren't supposed to be used. If you see any as a window or door header, I'd walk away from the house as the framer is clueless.......and yes, Austin is full of clueless framers.
https://www.google.com/#q=finger+joint+studs

Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM

TrapperL

Thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate your help.

yes, i am calling wood stud as wood post , my bad and i am new to construction terminology.

my house comes under Williamson county, and i am not sure if this comes comes under city limit.
what is the best way to check if property comes under city limit, or call for city inspection?

i noticed that in my home they used finger joint wood stud in 1st floor. i did see 50 % of wood studs are used in Garage, dining , kitchen, living room, master bed room as well.

tomorrow i have scheduled personal home inspection to check framing, other checks. hope i will have better picture by this weekend.

another question i have,

is there any way to check finger joint studs are allowed as per local code/Williamson county rules ?

Please advise.

Thank you ,
Pavan

Old 09-12-2016, 03:04 PM

12,505 posts, read 48,550,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan27 View Post
is there any way to check finger joint studs are allowed as per local code/Williamson county rules ?

Please advise.

Thank you ,
Pavan
I can assure if they weren't allowed they wouldn't be using them- that is an item that would be covered at the initial planning/permitting of the development- national/regional builder, multiple lots- whole subdivisions.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,278,061 times
There are various grades of finger jointed studs and are mark for identification by the building inspector who will be on site before they close up the walls to ensure it was properly framed:

They may be using laminated strand lumber (LSL) and there are also different types. LSL's are becoming popular because they are a "green" product and they start and stay straight:

Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Thank you all for valuable comments

Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM

37,733 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Many instructions online. You can try this:

https://goo.gl/7hS9e0 < I think this is one of the best I ever found online

General ide;
https://www.pasco-wa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/13
http://mybuildingpermit.com/Inspecti...0Checklist.pdf

Good luck with your purchase!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 4,048,161 times
If you get a third party inspection, get an ICC certified inspector with demonstrated experience in reading blueprints and doing in-progress framing/building inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or