U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:16 PM

341 posts, read 679,815 times

Advertisements

Morning...Hope my post will stay put in this forum as outside of Florida and Vegas, Arizona should have a huge number of in ground pool owners.

Looking to put in a new pool, probably just under 9000 gallons. Anyway I am looking for an alternative to a chlorinated system.

In chatting with some companies, I am hearing things like Ozone gizmo which will minimize the effects of Chlorine and give real clear water? Also I heard about some mineral water purifier system for $500, then of course the Salt Water option.

I live in the Tucson area. Most likely I have some hard water, have not had it checked.

As somewhat of a naturalist and wishes for my doggies to join me in a swim, chlorine really frightens me in addition to the nasty side effects, smell, burning eyes, drying skin.

So...I would gladly welcome any suggestions. I recognize I most likely will have to pay a little more. Oh also I am considering an above ground spa unit to save some funds...which I also will be looking to water treat in like fashion.

Thank you in advance for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM

3,152 posts, read 1,938,526 times
The "salt water option" is still using chlorine to sanitize your water. I don't know anything about the other methods you mention, nor do I know anyone who uses anything other than chlorine.

Our pool doesn't ever smell like chlorine. Get a good filtration system and watch your pool chemistry. Public pools are nastier because they have more swimmers, and probably even children peeing in the water.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:59 PM

6,596 posts, read 12,179,239 times
My pool is chlorinated and I never notice it. As said above, it's not like swimming in a public pool. No smell or burning. My dogs also swim in it regularly with no ill-effects.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but just some food for thought.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM

238 posts, read 314,890 times
We use an ionizer, which then leads to a lot less chlorine being used. I also started using the Trouble Free Pool method of checking chemical levels regularly and that's greatly simplified and improved my maintenance of our pool. Here is the Trouble Free Pool forum:
Trouble Free Pool

Lots of folks on there to help answer questions

Old 09-13-2016, 07:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,877,079 times
As stated above, a salt system is still chlorine. It just gets the chlorine in a different way by separating the sodium from the chloride hence why salt is called sodium chloride.
Also a pool will never, EVER smell if properly sanitized. Chlorine doesn't smell, especially in the small concentrations used in pools. And any burning of the eyes comes not from chlorine but from a PH imbalance that would be easily cured with a cup or two of muriatic acid.
To simplify things, it very difficult to sanitize a large body of water using anything other than chlorine. The best bang for your buck. It's safe, effective, cost effective and sanitary when done right.
Do some research but if it were me, I'd get a salt system and an old fashioned sand filter.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:05 PM

503 posts, read 449,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
As somewhat of a naturalist and wishes for my doggies to join me in a swim, chlorine really frightens me in addition to the nasty side effects, smell, burning eyes, drying skin.
Properly chlorinated pools should have no odor. When you smell it, it means the chlorine is activated and there is no longer any active chlorine in the pool to kill anything new.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Goodness, I have a headache after reading all the different sites regarding chlorine vs salt system.

The jury is still out...just yet. One thing about the salt is having to drain the whole pool maybe yearly to get rid of the residue left by the salt as not to ruin the tile...no way on that as my water bill is already high enough, will cost me almost $900 to fill it the first time. Plus I understand pending how hard your water is, the filters are very expensive to replace and could be every several years, humm.

My husband will be a diligent manager of the pool PH/chemicals balance. I can see him out there daily with his lab kit

Well luckily I have plenty of time to decide, looking at next year.

Oh, do any of you have a heated pool and if so, how big is your heater. Would love to swim in the winter. We are at 3200 elevation and have some low temps.

Cheers!

Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM

3,152 posts, read 1,938,526 times
Your water is pretty expensive. You might want to get a pool cover, as that will prevent a lot of water loss due to evaporation.

Also, you may want to use liquid chlorine instead of tablets on a regular basis. The tablets contain a chlorine stabilizer which will build up over time and then you will need to do a drain/refill.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,877,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. Goodness, I have a headache after reading all the different sites regarding chlorine vs salt system.

The jury is still out...just yet. One thing about the salt is having to drain the whole pool maybe yearly to get rid of the residue left by the salt as not to ruin the tile...no way on that as my water bill is already high enough, will cost me almost $900 to fill it the first time. Plus I understand pending how hard your water is, the filters are very expensive to replace and could be every several years, humm.

My husband will be a diligent manager of the pool PH/chemicals balance. I can see him out there daily with his lab kit

Well luckily I have plenty of time to decide, looking at next year.

Oh, do any of you have a heated pool and if so, how big is your heater. Would love to swim in the winter. We are at 3200 elevation and have some low temps.

Cheers!
Replacing the water is usually a last resort. That's not typical. If you keep everything in line, you shouldn't have to replace your water for many years. The biggest problem is calcium, not salt. If you get a sand filter, there are no filter cartridges therefore nothing to replace. The sand is the filter media and you just clean the sand occasionally by back washing it. Easy, peasy. Very natural, clean, inexpensive and absolutely no chemicals whatsoever. As an added bonus, you drain and replace a little water while doing it so it helps keep your calcium levels in check at the same time. Two birds with one stone. A win, win if you will. As a double bonus, if you use the tablets that constantly add CYA, back washing also helps keep the CYA in balance.
Just a heads up on the heater. Regardless of the type of heater, you'll pay a small fortune every month to keep your pool warm enough to swim in winter. In my case, I hand made some solar heaters. In conjunction with a solar pool cover, I can effectively keep my pool north of 80 degrees almost to December. I finally have to admit defeat but I heat it up to the 80's starting in March and all that is done for no cost except for the original one time cost of the solar heaters which in my case was around $200.00. If I was comfortable swimming in 70 degree water, I could probably extend those time by a few weeks to a month on both sides of winter.

Last edited by maverick974; 09-14-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Your water is pretty expensive. You might want to get a pool cover, as that will prevent a lot of water loss due to evaporation.

Also, you may want to use liquid chlorine instead of tablets on a regular basis. The tablets contain a chlorine stabilizer which will build up over time and then you will need to do a drain/refill.
Hi...yes our water on average for two senior adults, no pool or spa just some irrigation for our lot is over $100 a month. So the pool cover is a consideration for sure...I have a water feature/bird station which I am continually topping off in real hot weather, smaller than pool of course so I can imagine a pool with auto fill will be pricey. Might look into a solar cover as I wish to swim in cooler weather and not freeze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or