Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Are you sure this is the case? It is not unusual to see neighborhoods here built in the "new urbanist" style (kind of a throwback look to some older, urban homes). Garages behind the house opening to an alley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Urbanism
Yes, I have seen the homes on alleys with garages. But the ones I am talking about have no garage or driveway at all. They park on the street.

I travel past quite a few of these homes on my way to work, and I have seen several cars smashed by passing cars over the years. "Smash and grab" crimes are common.

I know one person who lives in one of these homes. She lives on a busy street that is heavily traveled toward downtown in the morning and away from downtown in the afternoon. Because of this there is no parking on the east side of the street from 6:00 am to 9:00 am and no parking on the west side from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The residents have to move their cars if they are parked there during the day, from one side to the other.

She has received several parking tickets and one tow/impound fee because she works third shift and has overslept and missed the time to move her car to the other side of the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:35 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Are you sure this is the case? It is not unusual to see neighborhoods here built in the "new urbanist" style (kind of a throwback look to some older, urban homes). Garages behind the house opening to an alley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Urbanism

To answer the OP: Would I buy a house with no garage and no driveway? No, because snow, ice, rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, I would buy a home without a garage or driveway.

You probably should stop leaving your handbag in your car overnight.
If my car is in my locked garage it is as safe as it would be inside my home.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yes, I have seen the homes on alleys with garages. But the ones I am talking about have no garage or driveway at all. They park on the street.

I know one person who lives in one of these homes. She lives on a busy street that is heavily traveled toward downtown in the morning and away from downtown in the afternoon. Because of this there is no parking on the east side of the street from 6:00 am to 9:00 am and no parking on the west side from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The residents have to move their cars if they are parked there during the day, from one side to the other.

She has received several parking tickets and one tow/impound fee because she works third shift and has overslept and missed the time to move her car to the other side of the street.
For some reason I thought you were talking about newer homes. I've seen it in older neighborhoods. I understand it's a trade off to live in certain neighborhoods but I do like my garage. Especially in winter.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Would I buy without a garage~yes, in Florida, but it would have to have a carport or covered parking so I could get from the car to inside the house without getting wet.

Would I buy a house without a driveway? No!

Best case scenario~2.5 car garage, attached so that you walk into the kitchen or mud room.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
You bet.

As a matter of fact, I've never enjoyed the luxury of a garage in either of the two homes I've owned.

The first place didn't even have a guaranteed parking spot. It was everyone for themselves with on street parking.

Both homes are/were at the best location in the their respective neighborhoods, IMO, and location trumps everything else for me.

Seriously, scraping ice of the windshield is a major inconvenience? A little fresh air and a minute or so of minor effort never hurt anyone.

Where I wouldn't buy a home is somewhere that requires a lot of driving.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If my car is in my locked garage it is as safe as it would be inside my home.
Keep thinking that....

Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 PM

78 posts, read 92,396 times
Yes, many of the homes in my neighborhood are 100+ years old and do not have a garage. I did end up trading in my convertible for a regular car due to the lack of a garage, but other than that I have no regrets. It's worth it for me because I love my house and my neighborhood. I much prefer no garage over a house with a big garage right in front that takes up half the front of the house. I do have a driveway though and there is plenty of street parking, so that's a plus.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
No. You posting this thread is the reason why. When you try to sell it, others will wonder and ask the same thing. It will drive buyers away. Plus, I use the heck out of my garage.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
No.
However, if we downsize again, it could come to pass that we will go to a typical southern carport. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I'be owned two houses here in AR without garages. They both had driveways and one had a carport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House