Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.
My sister lives in such a community and I hate when we go to visit. No guarantee to be parked close to their house, and we've already had to pay the town $10 for not moving our car in time on a Tuesday during street sweeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM

A two-car garage was the number one criteria for the selection of our home.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
No garage yes I would buy.
No driveway no I wouldn't buy.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I would depending on the house and location.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
No garage do deal. We had even looked at a home with a 2 car garage that was on the end of the street. On the homes in our neighborhood all the corner homes have the garage on the side street and the problem is that they have driveways that you can not park in, the driveways are 10 feet long. The benefit is that you have a larger back yard, as those homes also have the garages at the back of the home.

We wish we had an extra garage. Many newer homes here have a two car garage and a secondary one car garage. We used to live a couple miles North of where we area. A tract that was built in 1998 had mostly homes with three car garages, meaning either a large two car garage door with a second one car garage door next to it. Many of those homes have lots that are maybe 12 or more feet wider on one side of the home. One homeowner added another one car garage on that side of his home. So he had the normal one car garage door, two car garage door, entry to his home, front windows for the living room and then this one car garage. He keeps a classic 57 Corvette in that garage including a window from the home into the garage.

We do have older homes with single car garages and I would never buy one of those either.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.
I agree with you. And sometimes people can't even park in front of their home. Just because there are parking spots on the street directly in front of your home doesn't entitle you to park there. They are all first come, first served.

And you can shovel snow out of a spot on the street and then someone else parks there. I have seen on local news reports of arguments and fistfights over street parking spaces.

There was an elderly lady people greeter at Target, and walked with a cane. She mentioned one time that she had to leave work early enough so that she could park in front of her house. She said the city put up a handicapped parking sign to mark a spot for her but even that didn't reserve it. She said anyone else with a handicapped plate or placard couldn't be prevented from parking there, so she had to get their early or else risk parking down the street.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:56 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This is relative to the area you are buying in...
Like some people refuse to buy house w/o a gas stove...
Not all areas of my town/state have natural gas lines so getting a gas stove is just not going to happen in those neighborhoods...

If I were in the market for a house in a neighborhood where garages were not the norm...
I am thinking high density California coastline like Malibu where some homes had garages converted to much more expensive living space...then maybe I buy w/o garage...

But in normal SFR neighborhood with standard 2-car garage as the norm...to buy a home w/o a garage is just stupid IMO... Ho e across street from us in prior neighborhood had had the attached garage converted into living space and the people lived wo garage for years. This is DFW TX area w/limited snow and ice. They sold and people who bought wanted to build detached garage which required zoning exemption because of property lines...most neighbors thought it would be better to agree to exemption so cars could be parked in garage vs on driveway all the time...but they just as often parked on slab and stored crap in garage afterwards...
Why do neighbors care where I park my car as long as it is not in front of their house? Also most folks move their car out of garage before a snow storm. For instance my block growing up most houses had 80 foot driveways. if you put it in a garage and it snows overnight, you have to shovel 80 feet of driveway to get out.

So neighbors would all have bumper of car hanging over sidewalk and a piece of cardboard over windshield to prevent ice.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I agree with you. And sometimes people can't even park in front of their home. Just because there are parking spots on the street directly in front of your home doesn't entitle you to park there. They are all first come, first served.

And you can shovel snow out of a spot on the street and then someone else parks there. I have seen on local news reports of arguments and fistfights over street parking spaces.

There was an elderly lady people greeter at Target, and walked with a cane. She mentioned one time that she had to leave work early enough so that she could park in front of her house. She said the city put up a handicapped parking sign to mark a spot for her but even that didn't reserve it. She said anyone else with a handicapped plate or placard couldn't be prevented from parking there, so she had to get their early or else risk parking down the street.
My pet peeve is double parking in front of handicap spots. Folks do that as the fine is less. Also depending on car you get away with more.

I had a classic mercedes convertible for awhile. When I go to Brooklyn to a friends house or club years ago there were no spots, double parking you get hit, then a ticket then towed. Bad news.

I used to look for a driveway cut near where I was going and park it on the sidewalk. Top down. Cant get towed. I also used to park on front lawns a lot. You get creative with a convertible in high crime areas with no spots. Key is to look like a baller. Top up, alarm on, club on steering wheel parking in a legal spot says steal me. On sidewalk, top and windows down says stay away. I actually had a much easier time parking that car.

At Jersey shore once I was squeezing into a street spot that was semi legal, owner came out concerned and told me put it in her driveway. My friends were shaking their heads. I left that car outdoors for five years. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn no one touched it. Ironically, I put it in storage years later in an indoor garage that got flooded in Sandy and it was totalled in the garage.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I like Frank Lloyd Wright homes (and they are many in two of the states where I have lived) except for the fact that they never have garages. And they are always labeled Historic so you aren't allowed to build on a garage.

Frank was quoted as saying, "A car is not a horse and it doesn't need a barn". He is also credited for the invention of the carport.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House