Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.
Indeed. That neighborhood is overdue for a Bastille Day type restructuring of government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me, turning the garage into "people space" is, not to put too fine a point on it, one of the STUPIDEST things a homeowner can do.
I agree. Along with keeping so much clutter in the garage that they can't park inside.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
Pretty rare, but depends on the area.
San Francisco...maybe....NYC maybe....
Where are you?
Here in DFW area it would be a rare case I would recommend it.
People often want the storage for bikes, motorcycles, even cars.
They move out of the apt into a house for more space, including more storage space.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:23 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me, turning the garage into "people space" is, not to put too fine a point on it, one of the STUPIDEST things a homeowner can do.
Well, generalizing your own situation everyone else's is one of the STUPIDEST things a poster can do. Whether converting a garage to living space makes sense depends on where you live. If you live in a suburban area where everyone wants a garage, it's almost always a bad idea. If you live in an urban area where housing prices are >$600/sqft, and getting permits to expand the house are expensive, time consuming, or just plain impossible, then converting a garage out back into a 200 sqft home office or guest suite is super common, and it's not because everyone is stupid. It is because the market favors living space over car and junk storage space. It especially makes sense in an area like SoCal where you're not dealing with rain or snow.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Well, generalizing your own situation everyone else's is one of the STUPIDEST things a poster can do. Whether converting a garage to living space makes sense depends on where you live. If you live in a suburban area where everyone wants a garage, it's almost always a bad idea. If you live in an urban area where housing prices are >$600/sqft, and getting permits to expand the house are expensive, time consuming, or just plain impossible, then converting a garage out back into a 200 sqft home office or guest suite is super common, and it's not because everyone is stupid. It is because the market favors living space over car and junk storage space. It especially makes sense in an area like SoCal where you're not dealing with rain or snow.
Nope, I still say it's STUPID. Just because the market is full of stupid people who prefer the garage turned into a bungalow or whatever, does not mean doing it is not stupid.

The only way it's not stupid is to do it and then sell out, move to a more reasonable COL area.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I would only buy a house without a garage if there was enough land for me to have a garage built.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:21 PM

296 posts, read 319,092 times
Doesn't need to be a garage but I'd need a covered space if I ever bought a home in the midwest. De-icing cars and shoveling them out of snow is a pain.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:27 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I live in Denver and nope, would never buy a house without an attached garage. If I moved someplace with different weather, I might consider it, but there would have to be a lot of additional storage in the house itself and some kind of storage shed to make the room for the things I keep in the garage. So even in a different climate, I'd more likely than not still want a garage.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Good thing all the Silicon Valley startups had garages... or there would not be HP, Apple, Harley Davidson, et al...

http://isbdc.org/starting-a-garage-based-business/

Old 09-14-2016, 02:48 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
I need a garage because I work on my car naked. I can NOT return to prison.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House