Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times

Advertisements

There have been so many free pianos on Nextdoor and Craigslist in the past few years! I have seen them listed as being in excellent condition, good condition, excellent condition but needs to be tuned, etc.

Right now there are two free upright pianos and a free baby grand.

A few have even been listed as good condition and will pay someone to haul away.

Last year the local piano shop went out of business, and it had been family owned and operated for over 50 years. The owner said no one was buying pianos any longer.

Where were all these free pianos when I wanted to take piano lessons as a child? My parents couldn't afford a piano and the local piano teachers would only give lessons to kids who had pianos at home so they could practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I bought one.
Lots of people I know have them.
Mostly uprights.
We have a baby grand.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
My dad could have been a concert pianist in his heyday. He ALWAYS had a Steinway baby grand. As a kid, my sisters & I used to play under it while he play it. Man, it sounded very rich under there.

Don't know how many Steinways he had over the years. His last one, he had it restored-complete with a mechanism to keep it hydrated-with special fluid. It was kind of funny to "water a piano."

When he passed away, none of us had room for it-not to mention that it would have been expensive to transport it to where any of us lives. (He lived in D.C. & most of us live in New England/New York and one lives in Oklahoma.) So, we put it on the market. The person who bought it was the one who restored it.

The following year, I bought a house where I did have room for it-but it was gone by then. But, I still would have had to figure out how to ship it here. But, it would have been cool to have the Steinway. Then I would have HAD to learn to play.

Cat

Old 09-14-2016, 03:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I see this as well. Just for grins I looked in the 'free' section of craigslist and in my area there were 21 pianos listed just this month. Some are 100 years old. I think this is turning into the instrument that not a lot of people want to learn how to play.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I would love to have one, but I just don't have a place to put it. One of the free ones was beautiful and it was literally so close to my house we could have carried it down the sidewalk so no delivery issues. But I just did not have a place to put it.

Maybe when the oldest child vacates his bedroom.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
There have been so many free pianos on Nextdoor and Craigslist in the past few years! I have seen them listed as being in excellent condition, good condition, excellent condition but needs to be tuned, etc.

Right now there are two free upright pianos and a free baby grand.

A few have even been listed as good condition and will pay someone to haul away.

Last year the local piano shop went out of business, and it had been family owned and operated for over 50 years. The owner said no one was buying pianos any longer.

Where were all these free pianos when I wanted to take piano lessons as a child? My parents couldn't afford a piano and the local piano teachers would only give lessons to kids who had pianos at home so they could practice.
Maybe there is something wrong with the particular pianos that are listed that the ads aren't letting on, or maybe people who are in the market for a piano and people who look at Nextdoor and Craigslist are two entirely different groups of people.

The last two sentences literally made me a little sad, though, thinking this is a tradition that doesn't need to fade.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I would love to have one, but I just don't have a place to put it.
Not many people do.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:02 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I think it is a combination of not having room for a piano and the fact that kids don't want to put any effort into anything but their video games. It takes serious effort and dedication to get good at playing piano.

If anyone is vaguely interested, they buy a keyboard to try it put and see if they really do like it-- and I think there is not much follow through.

At the very least, music dreams are to be a rock star and rock stars don't play the piano.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:12 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
When I was a child many homes had pianos. Now I do not know anyone who has one in their home.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is a combination of not having room for a piano and the fact that kids don't want to put any effort into anything but their video games. It takes serious effort and dedication to get good at playing piano.

If anyone is vaguely interested, they buy a keyboard to try it put and see if they really do like it-- and I think there is not much follow through.

At the very least, music dreams are to be a rock star and rock stars don't play the piano.
Both of the bolded are nonsense.

Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Eton John and Billy Joel come to mind immediately. It wouldn't be difficult to come up with more up to date examples.

I think the reasons are both due to space - both square footage and wall space, and more choices than in the past. Many homes simply do not have the appropriate space for one. And yes, families are purchasing keyboards instead. They take up less room and are easy to put away if the space is needed for other things. Also, there are more choices today for extra curriculars than in previous generations. Kids may not be taking piano lessons to the extent that they were, but they are doing a lot of other things that weren't available then.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-14-2016 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House