U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,205,613 times

Advertisements

No. I'm constantly searching for spaces that might work better for us. My house right now is not my forever home. In fact, I don't particularly care for it at all except the price was amazing and so is the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:53 PM

15,697 posts, read 26,694,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I could never see most people living in the same area much less the same house their whole life.
I was born here in 1965. We own a home here. We intend to stay in that home and pass it on to our kids. I can not imagine living anywhere else. The ocean is a bike ride away. We can play in the sand and surf, sail and head out to the islands. The mountains are near by.

My uncle lives in the home that he and my mom grew up in. Him and his wife bought it from my grandparents. My grandparents bought it from my great grand parents.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:55 PM

43,464 posts, read 52,484,972 times
I don't think my parents expected the house they bought 27 years ago to be the one they wind up with forever. But I think it will be.

At the age of 34, I bought a house. This was 6 years ago. And I don't plan on moving ever again until I move to a beach house on a tropical island.
I have a 2 and 4 year old, so it'll be a while.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:01 PM

13,843 posts, read 25,246,623 times
I bought several homes knowing they would not be mine forever. So resale was important. I knew they were investments and not in places I wanted to spend the rest of my life. This was when work told me where I had to live! I didn't have much choice but to go where they sent me.

In 2008 I bought my first forever home. And hopefully, my last! 1 story, no stairs, quiet neighborhood, with a pool. It's a great house! Now if I could just afford to finish the remodel!

I think the family homestead was pretty much done and gone when people moved to the cities for work in the early to mid 1900's. Now your parents tell you where to live when you are young, then school tells you where to live, next the jobs determine your location. I think lots of us never get to choose where we live till we retire!

Old 09-16-2016, 01:05 PM

13,787 posts, read 18,716,096 times
well this is our 2nd home and we know this will not be our forever home because we want to move closer to our kids and grandkids when we retire so in about 10-12 yrs this house will be on the market and as someone else said as well what if the neighborhood or neighbors become too dangerous to live here at any point ? then you always have the option to sell and buy elsewhere .

Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM

13,141 posts, read 17,697,483 times
Everyone we bought/built/remodeled we considered the last one. There is one more on the horizon - or not.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,119,267 times
I've been trying very hard and as of right now prices for what I want and limited supply means the probability is dropping.

I was 59 days the back up offer on my forever home and didn't get it... that was in 2012 and it has more than doubled since...

I bought my first home just as was turning 22 with the idea it would take 5 moves to land the forever home...

My problem is it has to have room for my car collection which is hard to do in the SF Bay Area...

Old 09-16-2016, 01:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,884,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I'm totally reasonable and can think . I guess what I am saying is, back in the days of our parents, they saved, they bought their house, that made it their home. They stuck with the home through thick and thin.

I just wonder when that thinking started changing...

Was it when the 'starter house' became a thing?

I may not be expressing myself well.
I think of the common expectation for many people was to buy two houses -- a small one to start, and then a larger home if they had kids and needed/wanted a house that was a little bigger. And that home was the 'forever' home. That was what I expected, although I had the complications of a few long distance moves. We had a home in the suburbs that was our second house, moving there after my husband got a different job in a new city from where we were. I fully expected that that house would be our forever home and we were in it for 13 years. What I most liked was that after 13 years, most of the house was mostly the way I wanted it.

Then we had a job upheaval and my husband ended up taking a job in a different city. So we had to sell our home (sadly) and bought a new home. I do expect this house essentially to be my 'forever' house. I expect to be in it for at least 20 years. My younger son will graduate from high school in 12 years, and we really do not need or want to move again, especially since we also have an older son who had to move/switch schools, etc. and we want to minimize that to the extent possible.

We moved to the new city because it is a good location for my husband's career, so even if he decides to switch companies, there are lots of companies in his field in our new location. So unless some disaster or something really unexpected and compelling happened, we have no plans to move again and this house should be ours' for a good, long time.

But if we hadn't had the unexpected issue of a long distance move, we would have stayed in our previous house, even though there were some things we didn't like about the area. We likely would have stayed there until after we had retired and had some reason that we needed to live in a one floor dwelling or something.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM

4,772 posts, read 6,576,602 times
I did, but it's not going to be....I got older, it got harder to clean, keep up....will move to something smaller when I can.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM

12,324 posts, read 7,471,257 times
I'd say I fit the specs here; as a child growing up on a farm, I spent nearly all my weekends with relatives in town, and a career-educator bachelor uncle "rounded me out" in ways my own family never could have. He lived until his early nineties, in a large house he'd inherited, and died in that house rather than in an institution, when it became clear that he didn't have much time left.

So after he passed on, I bought it from the estate, renovated and converted most of it for rental, the rest for personal use upon retirement. No one can predict the future, and while I'm not married, I also have "people I belong to" coming after me, and if I can repeat the "unc's" performance with them, I think it's a role he would have appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or