U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,168 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am wondering what type of flooring to use in my north Scottsdale home. I presently have a porceline 18x18 floor tile ( travertine look). The tile was put in 19 years ago, we bought it as a spec home at the time. We would like to update the flooring as the color throws a lot of rose/ yellow color and is not conducive to our color pallet of nuetral cream/taupe/beige/grays.

Over the course of 19 years, we have seen our property values rise. Now the homes in our area are in the $650,000 and up range.

With that in mind, and resale later down the road, what flooring would enhance the value of our home? I have been looking at travertine, limestone both natural products or an upper end hardwood look in a porceline tile.

I have seen where porceline is better for maintenance, and have to agree with that, also, some of the porceline wood tiles look great. The only question I have about that, is will others look at this as being cheesy in this price range of homes.

Any insight would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM

6,596 posts, read 12,179,239 times
I would say a nice wood-look tile or a neutral porcelain of some sort. $650k is about average for N Scottsdale, so I think good looking is more important than material in that range.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 AM

6,034 posts, read 11,147,244 times
In that price range, buyers are paying for schools & neighborhoods, not houses. Look hard at your comps, you'll probably see cultured marble in the baths, oak cabinets & Formica in the kitchens & whatever the builder picked for flooring. Unless you're doing *everything* & over improving because you like it, don't waste much time & energy doing anything besides paint.

It sounds bizarre (and it is), but *lower* priced homes have pickier buyers that demand new/trendy finishes.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,919,633 times
I always try to be be timeless as possible. Natural materials will be more timeless. Granite, wood floors, travertine, stone walls etc all will stay in style longer. For flooring, the size will change. Wood will be thinner and thicker, travertine size will get bigger and smaller etc. Using this logis, ff you went with a distressed wood floor for instance (reclaimed), it's going to be in style in 20 years. But it would be expensive. What I did was a runner up: hand scribed flooring. If I was t re-do my floor, I'd use 20" travertine and add some jewelry like a pattern to make it more interesting. There are wholesale spots around that get aggressive. They usually sell on Craigslist. You want to stay away from "retail".

Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 AM

9,038 posts, read 9,463,674 times
Are there any houses for sale in your neighborhood that may have an Open House? I'd go see what they are doing for ideas.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM

677 posts, read 249,782 times
Stop............look at the big picture.

How old are your kitchen cabinets, counter tops, light fixtures, light switches, window and window treatments. If all of those things aren't updated then a new floor ain't going to help much.

It's all about the flow. And stay away from "the latest". Ten years from now it will need to be changed.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:01 AM

5,387 posts, read 21,345,404 times
Changing the floor finish may well help a sale but is unlikely to make any difference is valuation.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:31 PM

21,636 posts, read 14,239,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Changing the floor finish may well help a sale but is unlikely to make any difference is valuation.
This. If you want to change the floor for yourself, do that.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 PM

18,215 posts, read 19,954,557 times
DONT do real travertine. It requires constant care, polishing and refinishing. Most tile styles change over time. Put down what you like to step on. When you sell it is what it is. Just pick something that looks normal. Basically don't pick weird one off designs

Old 09-27-2016, 05:07 PM

3,251 posts, read 4,459,013 times
You said what the homes are worth in your area but not if your profit/equity will be enough to put in new floors. Figure that out and then do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House