Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 AM

91 posts, read 71,738 times

Advertisements

Our street view is from 2009, years before we bought. We can see the changes made to the house (paint colors, new front door), the trees they cut, but it's basically the same, no big changes.

The satellite is updated more often and our cars are in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Ours is at least 4 years old; taken pre-rehab/expansion by former owners. If I relied on it to find the house, when I got there I'd figure it wasn't the right house; it's that different.

Can anyone ask Google maps to do an update, or is it just luck of the draw?

Old 09-24-2016, 06:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I was using Google maps to find a friend's new house and idly entered my own address. Holy cow! The street view must have been taken in the heat of August and perhaps I was being miserly about running the sprinkler system (not to mention we're on water restrictions.) Most of the front lawn looks dead, and my old shake shingle roof looks dilapidated. A couple years later would have seen new landscaping and a new roof. I really don't remember it looking so bad but there it is in living color! How does yours look?

The one I found of my street was taken in 2012 so things have changed some. My house looked the same then as now but my neighbors on both sides had better looking yards back then. The mobile home community across the street had just gone in so the landscaping, etc. wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. In all my street doesn't look too bad.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
We don't have street views because we live in a gated community. Robyn

Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Ours is at least 4 years old; taken pre-rehab/expansion by former owners. If I relied on it to find the house, when I got there I'd figure it wasn't the right house; it's that different.

Can anyone ask Google maps to do an update, or is it just luck of the draw?
You can ask, but it's not the map that's wrong, if it is contact them. It's the satellite image I guess you mean and I doubt they will update it upon request. As far as street view, they are not gonna do that upon request. They don't update that often. Where I used to live they came around last year but did not do the street I live on, I could see some updated images but some streets still had the old images.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 AM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
They took mine on the day I happened to be spring cleaning out my garage. I'm a very indecisive person to so that didn't help. I had things and lumber for projects spread all over my driveway, it looked so trashy. When asked by friend or coworker I usually pointed to the neighbors house out of shame.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The oldest Street View images were shot in 2007/8 and are not as clear as ones taken the past couple of years. If you have a new Street View image pulled up look in the top left corner with the year and month and click it to see all previous images of the same location.

My house is located on an odd section of the street, it's basically a long driveway for 5 houses. Street View went on the main part of our road but not our driveway.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I was using Google maps to find a friend's new house and idly entered my own address. Holy cow! The street view must have been taken in the heat of August and perhaps I was being miserly about running the sprinkler system (not to mention we're on water restrictions.) Most of the front lawn looks dead, and my old shake shingle roof looks dilapidated. A couple years later would have seen new landscaping and a new roof. I really don't remember it looking so bad but there it is in living color! How does yours look?
It doesn't seem that the street views on Google Earth are renewed as often as the overhead views. I can always tell how long ago the street views in my neighborhood were taken, by which cars are in the driveways. Right now, the street view is about 6 years old.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:03 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Ours is old, I can tell because the trees are shorter and the vehicle is one we sold years ago. Also
unfortunately the weeds were not pulled when the picture was taken.....

Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Mine looks fine. The grass is green and freshly cut, the sun is out and so on. It was done last March.

My next door neighbor saw the Streetview car photographing our block, and was upset that he might be in the photo because he was working on the yard and not looking his best. But he's not there in the photo; they must have re-taken it later. I told him they would blur out his face if he was photographed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House