U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Neighborhood #1 or #2
neighborhood #1 22 53.66%
neighborhood #2 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,918,015 times

Advertisements

Considering you're talking about Charleston, I'd check with the insurance company first. You might find yourself with high dollar insurance due to the elevation of the neighborhood above sea level. The downtown area is crazy expensive for insurance. My youngest girl is a doctor there and lives in the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:11 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,040,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Considering you're talking about Charleston, I'd check with the insurance company first. You might find yourself with high dollar insurance due to the elevation of the neighborhood above sea level. The downtown area is crazy expensive for insurance. My youngest girl is a doctor there and lives in the downtown area.
It' not downtown. I can't afford to live downtown! I'm upper middle class!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would say #2 IF it was clear that the infrastructure was in place and it was evident that the amenities were being built along with the homes. I live in a new construction area and they were working on our pocket park and the neighborhood school along with the houses that were being built, so it was completed when we moved in. However, it's also true that the shopping/restaurant district closest to us had taken a decade to get built - slightly less relevant for me because I hadn't lived there all that time, but it's still going to be 2 years from when I moved in before it opens.

I will say that living in a construction zone with a tract builder isn't really that big a deal IMO. It's a few months but they get an entire block done at once, so they get the ground ready, pour the foundations, get them all framed, etc. It's like an assembly line, and honestly kind of fascinating to watch. I can deal with the few months of time (went through it once for the houses on the other side of my alley, and now going through it again for those on the block across the street) because it's a relatively quick time and then you move on.

Personally, I prioritize walkability and it would be crucial for me to have "you can walk from this neighborhood to restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy." I would rule out #1 because of that, even if I also ruled out #2 for other reasons. But I am not willing to live long term someplace where I have to get in my car and drive out of the neighborhood for every single thing.

As for costs, if you are 100% sure you want to do this move, you can buy pre-construction for less. I signed my contract in June 2014, moved in at the very end of November 2014 paying that contract price and my house appraised at closing for about 10% more than I had paid. That was a realistic number, prices in my neighborhood have continued to go up and it just appraised at 20% more than I paid when I did a re-fi. I'm very glad to have signed that contract and paid what I paid! But I was in a position where I could sell my old house and have that money for the down payment and live with local family for free waiting for my house to be built. Without that ability, it's a lot trickier to make it all work without it starting to add $$ to the process.
Thanks, this is an idea I was considering.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 10,108,292 times
I'd go with #1. Having lived in a #2 before, I prefer an established community. Construction noise, debris, and trucks goes on for years. You don't have to live on the street with the construction to hear the "Beep Beep Beep" at 6:15 a.m. Builders don't always deliver what they promise when it comes to amenities. Our previous neighborhood builder promised a pool to early buyers and never built one. #1 has three of them already in place. What you see is what you get. Even though I am a NYC native, walkability was never a big deal to me. It's bloody hot here in TX/south and it's far more comfortable getting into my car and driving a whopping 5 minutes to a store instead of walking a mile or more in 100 degrees. I actually don't want commercial development near me. And I'd rather have dedicated parkland/greenspace and lots of trees than a newer community that features a lot of underdeveloped greenery, pavement, and metal.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:04 PM

413 posts, read 287,374 times
#1 is established, but not restaurants, shopping etc. Most people would prefer shopping and restaurants close by.

Riaelise- I live in Houston and people still walking here.:-)

Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 10,108,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
#1 is established, but not restaurants, shopping etc. Most people would prefer shopping and restaurants close by.

Riaelise- I live in Houston and people still walking here.:-)
Close by to me means a five minute drive. You're not going to burn a lot of gas driving for five minutes.

There's no way in hell I'd walk in houstons heat.

Last edited by riaelise; 09-29-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 PM

8,986 posts, read 2,932,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I am divided on moving between two neighborhoods.

The neighborhoods are built by the same national builder Pulte.

Neighborhood #1 is established , over 1000 homes, has 3 pools, 3 neighborhood parks, walking trails, preserved wooded areas/wetlands, access to creek that runs to the river (Kayak), playgrounds for kids
is 9 miles from downtown, walk ability from the neighborhood is poor, no nearby stores/businesses within walking distance, located right off U.S. Hwy, 30 minutes to the beach, selling last few houses of established neighborhood

Neighborhood #2 is a new, being developed neighborhood about 6 months out to opening (no houses are built yet) , will have about 700 homes, is about 7 miles to downtown, and 15-20 minutes to the beach, will have at least 1 pool with wading area for kids, playgrounds, parks, walking trails, and a pavilion for events, wetlands and walking trails through wooded areas, walkability - you can walk from this neighborhood to restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy

My situation is I am moving to a smaller house (currrent 2500 sq ft. , 3 story), because I am separated, I have two small kids, and I want a smaller house and to leave the tough memories.
I frequent the beach, and downtown area of my city. I want to move to neighborhood with amenities for my kids and myself. The housing market seems to be at a high peak, so buying now is buying high, I don't know what the future holds if I buy in 6 months.... I will have a good amount of equity in my home when I do sell it to use as a down payment of 20%.

Neighborhood #1 or #2?
I would recommend the newer #2 neighborhood, as it has quick walking access to stores and the potential to have just as many nice features in the area. But for myself, I'd take #1, because I paddle kayaks.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I would recommend the newer #2 neighborhood, as it has quick walking access to stores and the potential to have just as many nice features in the area. But for myself, I'd take #1, because I paddle kayaks.
Yes, that's a cool thing, the creek in the neighborhood. I don't Kayak, but I like small boats and john boats. I don't know if I could get one in there , in the creek, would have to be high tide.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 PM

1,484 posts, read 949,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Builders here have a bad way of promising parks, trails, pools, etc. and never delivering. I'd go with #1 since it already has the amenities.
My first thought as well.

Admiditly, I am biased ... I have had to deal with developers and builders. It is an industry rampant with grifters and liars.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:05 AM

11,036 posts, read 3,930,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I am divided on moving between two neighborhoods.

The neighborhoods are built by the same national builder Pulte.

Neighborhood #1 is established , over 1000 homes, has 3 pools, 3 neighborhood parks, walking trails, preserved wooded areas/wetlands, access to creek that runs to the river (Kayak), playgrounds for kids
is 9 miles from downtown, walk ability from the neighborhood is poor, no nearby stores/businesses within walking distance, located right off U.S. Hwy, 30 minutes to the beach, selling last few houses of established neighborhood

Neighborhood #2 is a new, being developed neighborhood about 6 months out to opening (no houses are built yet) , will have about 700 homes, is about 7 miles to downtown, and 15-20 minutes to the beach, will have at least 1 pool with wading area for kids, playgrounds, parks, walking trails, and a pavilion for events, wetlands and walking trails through wooded areas, walkability - you can walk from this neighborhood to restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy

My situation is I am moving to a smaller house (currrent 2500 sq ft. , 3 story), because I am separated, I have two small kids, and I want a smaller house and to leave the tough memories.
I frequent the beach, and downtown area of my city. I want to move to neighborhood with amenities for my kids and myself. The housing market seems to be at a high peak, so buying now is buying high, I don't know what the future holds if I buy in 6 months.... I will have a good amount of equity in my home when I do sell it to use as a down payment of 20%.

Neighborhood #1 or #2?

I vote neighborhood #1 for several reasons..... It has a lot for your children to do! It is established so no construction noise and traffic which is not ideal for children. Since it's established you can check out the neighbors and see how many other children are there and how the neighbors are keeping up their yards. Still close to the beach and downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or