Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you watch any house renovation shows?
Yes 70 81.40%
No 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:46 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,652,201 times

Advertisements

How much do HGTV stars make? Tarek and Christina, Property Brothers, more earnings revealed - starcasm.net

Here is a cool article on what some of them earn from the network or speaking/appearance fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 AM

50,063 posts, read 63,416,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How much do HGTV stars make? Tarek and Christina, Property Brothers, more earnings revealed - starcasm.net

Here is a cool article on what some of them earn from the network or speaking/appearance fees.
All I get is some bogus gift card pop up.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I get is some bogus gift card pop up.
Works for me, try to google.... Starcasm, how much do the hgtv stars make.

Or highlight those words, right click and select search with google.

-------------
Flip or Flop‘s Tarek and Christina receive an appearance fee of $10,000 per episode of their show. If you want the Flip or Flop couple to speak to a group in your town, you’ll need deep pockets: their speaking fees run as high as $40,000.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:09 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,424,088 times
I don't watch any, principally, I don't trust what I might hear or see. I'd rather have someone who is available for more than 60 minutes if I'm going to get into a project.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM

8,853 posts, read 6,161,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
This Old House is the best, serious construction men at work.
Rehab Addict I like the way she keeps everything and her wanting to get the house to its original glory.
Flip or Flop, they are likeable, but I agree with another poster, who (Tarek) wears flip flops to a construction job site. LOL. Thier houses are though getting a bit same ole same. Christina seems to pick out the trend of the day for the flips, but unfortunately, trends of the day, get old really fast.....

Fixer Upper with Joanna and Chip, I will actually turn off. I don't like Chip. I just hate with a passion, silly men, he has all the qualities that I hate in a man, I just don't like his humor or sillyness......Joanna's famous line, "Im gonna open this up"

Property Bros, Love it, or list it I just wont watch at all.
Your opinions are very close to mine. I grew up watching This Old House and Home Time on the PBS stations. I consider those two to be the gold standard by which I judge all other home renovations shows. For decades I owned the soft cover This Old House book detailing their very first project at 6 Percival Street in Boston Mass. I loved that book but being soft cover it eventually fell apart on me.

The only other shows that can hold a candle to This Old House are the Mike Holmes programs and Rehab Addict. There was also another show that was pretty good, I think it was called DIY Disaster. The premise of the show was that a spouse would call in this guy when her husband failed to finish a home renovation project and he would work with the husband to finish his project. The show displayed some great home repair knowledge like installing floor tiles or cabinetry. For me to consider a home renovation show to be good it has to get into the little details of either identifying problems with a building or fixing the problems in the building. Anything else is just fluff.

In my opinion the problem with most of the flipping shows is that they gloss over the renovations and focus on other things like decor, the psychology of the buyers or the market conditions surrounding a flip. I want to see the gritty details of various home repairs and only This Old House has gotten the formula perfectly right. I can stomach having Fixer Upper or Flip Or Flop on the TV in the background but not Property Brothers or Love It Or List It; those shows result in the channel being changed or the TV shut off.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:02 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,433,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post

Chip makes me laugh. Joanna is beautiful but I hate her "words" on the walls. And I hate shabby chic.
I agree with you. And not only do I not like the look of stuff that has been neglected or deliberately "aged", I would hate touching it or sitting on it (or most other "rustic" stuff). I'd be afraid of splinters and paint chips caught on clothing. I'm in the minority who loves modern and contemporary, but not mid-century modern. Also like and respect Victorian but don't want to live in it.

I like Flip or Flop and love Hilary's design work, even though the Love It or List It formula is obviously contrived for TV--to make things dramatic (aren't they all?).

If I see another stager do the "karate chop to the sofa pillow", however, I'm going to karate chop my TV screen.

When I see the Tiny House promos, I wonder why the buyers don't simply get an RV?

Old 10-02-2016, 04:35 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,895,361 times
I got a call from HGTV a year or two ago and they wanted me to be on a new show they were planning. The premise was that two contestants would each acquire a house and proceed to renovate it. My job was to walk on during the final reveal and IMMEDIATELY place a value on the renovated home with no prior information. I politely told them that they have absolutely NO idea about how appraisals are performed and that they should simply find someone to walk in and make up a number. They never called back.

As for what I watch, I really enjoy Rehab Addict because of my love of older homes. I enjoy Love It or List It only for the design ideas she comes up with, I find the realtor to be very irritating. Lastly, I occasionally catch Flip or Flop primarily because the wife is so SMOKING hot.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Watched a few episodes of Desert Flippers, I really liked it. The guy is actually funny, the wife seems sweet and genuine and they have her brother help them. Desert Flippers is unique in that they show 3 homes that they are considering and pick one to flip.

Tried to watch a new one called First Time Flippers. In the credits he breaks a window with a ladder, but you can see that it was not an accident, and at the end she falls off a step ladder. Really bad hokie stuff, I turned it right off.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,179,539 times
One show I haven't seen mentioned is the one about the guys who dismantle old barns, and then rebuild them into other things. They reuse every piece which can be, and if they need a door its of the same age. the wood is sanded and sealed inside and its soooo beautiful. Hard to imagine the value of a house if that was what it took to build one.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:21 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,099,334 times
My wife is addicted to all of them on HGTV and the DIY network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House