U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live in an area that has light pollution?
Yes 41 51.25%
No 19 23.75%
Somewhat 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 AM

22,709 posts, read 28,757,635 times

Advertisements

Any time you have people there is going to be some light pollution. The state of Oregon has laws to control light pollution, but, of course, there is no way to eliminate it, except to throw the power switch for the entire state when the sun goes down.

If you want freedom from light pollution, you might try North Korea. Vast areas are too poor to have lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 AM

4,454 posts, read 7,214,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would love to see something like that, I need to put it on my bucket list, which I don't have

How many miles from a large city with light pollution would this be?

The post link says Montana, but you say the pic is from Georgia.
The link is where I was standing when I took the photo (pull-out on 89A just next to the ski area, my folks own a property 10 miles away and I was staying with them). The closest town of any real size is Great Falls, MT ~ pop. 60k, and that's Roughly 65 miles away to the north. If it weren't for the mountains, you could see the glow from there on the horizon. As it is, you can see the glow from the closest town (White Sulphur Springs, pop 1000) while you're still about 8~10 miles out.

I currently live in Georgia, no way I could duplicate that photo here. I'm lucky to see a dozen stars here on a new-moon night. I can see the glow from Atlanta and some nights (right cloud layer), the brightness is somewhere between full moon and dawn/dusk. About what a full moon and full coverage snow yields, if you've experienced that.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,324,458 times
Where I have lived: Yukon, various locations .. NO light pollution outside of the very small towns there. Northern lights and milky way were always visible if the sky wasn't cloudy (and in the case of the aurora, the season/conditions for viewing were right). Vancouver ... Yep, light pollution for sure. Edmonton .. same thing. Iqualuit ... not a heck of a lot outside of town unless you are at the airport when a plane is scheduled to land at night and the landing lights get turned on for a few minutes. Ottawa ... Yup. No getting around it there. DFW - You betcha! Western NC - yes, not bad but yes. Canso, NS ... well I guess there is a bit in 'town' but I live away from town .. with one pesky streetlight out front but its influence is minimal/short range but out the back of my house .. nadda except 2 faint red lights on the distant horizon. The night sky is amazing there, just as it was in the Yukon (but unfortunately so far without the northern light shows). I still live in both the last 2 places so .. not sure how to answer your poll.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 AM

5,671 posts, read 3,146,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
We live in a rural area where we don't have street lights, but there is a small airport a few miles away and some nights they have their searchlight on. It creates a huge amount of light pollution. On the nights when it's not on, we can see the Milky Way and huge numbers of stars.
The beacon is on to help pilots find the airport when weather conditions are poor... i.e. below Visual Flight Rules of 3 miles visibility and 1000 foot ceilings. You aren't missing any great views of the milky way when the beacon is on... and I think pilots appreciate it.

Quote:
Once during a trip to the Copper Canyon area, I spent a couple of days in a tiny village high up in the Sierra Tarahumara mountains in Mexico. The elevation was such that the air was pretty thin and there was no light pollution whatsoever. Seeing the night sky with millions of stars was amazing and made me realize how much we have lost by being so dependent on artificial lighting.
Not to pick on you, but I think we're darn lucky to live in a time where we have light and heat and all the modern conveniences that these inventions provide, all the time, at the flick of a switch. And there are lots of wonderful natural places in the world that are dark, and we can visit them sometimes, and see ALL the stars.

It's a marvel, really! Talk about First World Problems!

I couldn't find the right answer on the poll.... The stars aren't gone, light is not pollution.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-02-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 12:25 PM

25,062 posts, read 23,951,957 times
You can still see the stars in some places.

PA*DCNR*-*Cherry Springs State Park

Old 10-02-2016, 12:57 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,197,758 times
On the map, I live in a little blip in a sea of darkness. I'm actually surprise because I think they need one more street light on my block.

Cat

Old 10-02-2016, 01:15 PM

33,908 posts, read 42,165,527 times
One of my now former colleagues on Town Council made upgrading our streetlights a cornerstone of his campaign.

Well, BGE came in and did it (the electric bill for the new lights nearly doubled even though electric use went down. The utility has to recapture its capital cost) so now our streets look like well lit prison yards.

That's ok, though, since the rural pioneers who complained about the old ones now feel safe. They did complain about the new lights being so bright that you can read a newspaper in your front yard at night now.

Why he's "former". He moved out of Town to where there are no streetlights. He's now lobbying the County Commissioners to have them installed.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM

15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
If you zoom in close that map isn't very accurate. My entire property is shown shaded orange, yet there are woods behind my house that are pitch black at night. No problems seeing the stars here.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:31 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,855,041 times
At my house, there's pretty much zero light pollution, and we can see for up to 80 miles.

Nothing quite like a full moon after it's snowed!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:56 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,815,429 times
My house is situated in a bit of a small valley. When I go to the front yard at night I can see the light pollution from nearby areas. When I'm out in back I can see the Milky Way sometimes. We don't have any street lights. We had previously lived in the Chicago suburbs so it took some time to adjust to the darkness here. I still laugh at myself the first time I realized that bright thing lighting up the street was actually a full moon and not I street light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or