U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live in an area that has light pollution?
Yes 41 51.25%
No 19 23.75%
Somewhat 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,776,816 times

Advertisements

Light pollution map

Light pollution is brightening of the night sky caused by street lights and other man-made sources, which has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 AM

I used to live in the northeast and you were barely able to see any stars even on clear nights.

One night I did go to a party about 20 miles from where I lived and I was amazed at how many stars I could see.

I still have not been in an area where there is little or no light pollution where you can see thousands of stars.

Fort the poll I chose somewhat. On the map link I am in a light pollution area, but my area does not have street lights so it's better than other areas.

I woke early tonight at 5:30 am and it was a clean night and took the dogs in the back yard and the stars that I could see were very bright and I could see Orion's Belt which is easy to find because it's 3 stars almost in a row, they are the ones that are said to be in alignment with the great pyramids in Egypt. I still could not see hundreds of stars, but the ones I could see were very bright.

One time i was vacationing in Key West and I was in the back of the guest house and someone pointed out Mars, it looked like a star, but bigger and was slightly orange. I never knew you could see planets with the naked eye, but I was lucky that I was there when the planet alignment was in the right place to be seen.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,070,312 times
On the map, the house we are building is on the edge of yellow and green.

It's going to be dark out there! No street lights in the neighborhood. Should be nice for star gazing.... Depending on how many pesky mosquitoes there are.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:49 AM

4,448 posts, read 7,192,320 times
Everything on the East Coast of the US suffers from light pollution. This photo is from here:

Nothing fancy, a $400 Sony Nex5 camera and a cheap tripod, it was my first ever attempt and thus sucks when compared to what Experienced folks are doing, but you get the point. My folks built their retirement home just up the road about 10 miles on property they've owned since ~1994 or so. Everytime I take someone new there and get them outside on a new moon (or before it rises), they're blown away by the number of stars that can be seen.

Here in Very rural Georgia, I couldn't catch 1/10th the number of stars.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Everything on the East Coast of the US suffers from light pollution. This photo is from here:

Nothing fancy, a $400 Sony Nex5 camera and a cheap tripod, it was my first ever attempt and thus sucks when compared to what Experienced folks are doing, but you get the point. My folks built their retirement home just up the road about 10 miles on property they've owned since ~1994 or so. Everytime I take someone new there and get them outside on a new moon (or before it rises), they're blown away by the number of stars that can be seen.

Here in Very rural Georgia, I couldn't catch 1/10th the number of stars.
I would love to see something like that, I need to put it on my bucket list, which I don't have

How many miles from a large city with light pollution would this be?

The post link says Montana, but you say the pic is from Georgia.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,232,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

This is beautiful. I've never seen so many stars--at least not in person. I'm definitely planning a trip to Montana.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,232,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would love to see something like that, I need to put it on my bucket list, which I don't have

How many miles from a large city with light pollution would this be?

The post link says Montana, but you say the pic is from Georgia.
I think this is his parents' place in Montana and he lives in Georgia. I could've misread, though.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
I have two items on my bucket list: see the Northern Lights, and see the Milky Way galaxy. Here in central Florida, it's impossible to see either of them, so some travel is in order.

I remember when Halley's Comet was visible, I was living in Miami at the time. We had to go out into the Everglades to get away from the light pollution so that the comet was visible.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,701,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Light pollution map

Light pollution is brightening of the night sky caused by street lights and other man-made sources, which has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets.
We live in a rural area where we don't have street lights, but there is a small airport a few miles away and some nights they have their searchlight on. It creates a huge amount of light pollution. On the nights when it's not on, we can see the Milky Way and huge numbers of stars.

Once during a trip to the Copper Canyon area, I spent a couple of days in a tiny village high up in the Sierra Tarahumara mountains in Mexico. The elevation was such that the air was pretty thin and there was no light pollution whatsoever. Seeing the night sky with millions of stars was amazing and made me realize how much we have lost by being so dependent on artificial lighting.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM

17,851 posts, read 54,134,324 times
Rural. There is one sodium vapor streetlight I wish was gone, but step in the shadow of a tree and the milky way is an easy see. I counted about a dozen meteors the last meteor shower, have seen the space station overflights, easy viewing of the usual planets. What outdoor light I need is provided by about 5 watts of LED lighting. Security cams are all infrared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or