U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you blame for a messy house?
I blame the man 0 0%
I blame the woman 7 4.64%
I blame them both 61 40.40%
Nobody. I don't judge other people's housekeeping 83 54.97%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:00 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,908,569 times

Advertisements

I keep my own house neat as a pin. Never dirty dishes around, no newspapers littering, beds made upon rising. But that is just me. I honestly don't care how anyone else keeps their dwelling. It s a personal decision how anyone wants to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,301,753 times
Polish the sink?

If anyone comes to my house and feels the need to judge or criticize my housekeeping, they are welcome to turn around and exit through the door they entered.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM

11,369 posts, read 7,698,258 times
I blame my dogs, they never lift a finger, or should I say paw to help tidy the place up.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 31,223,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Polish the sink?

If anyone comes to my house and feels the need to judge or criticize my housekeeping, they are welcome to turn around and exit through the door they entered.
We have a black kitchen sink that shows water spots badly, so I'm very picky about making sure the water is always cleaned up around the faucet handles. My spouse is a germophobe and washes his hands 50 times a day, and he never cleans up the water, so I'm constantly going behind him with a towel. It drives me crazy!

Old 10-04-2016, 04:28 PM

9,605 posts, read 18,799,436 times
Polish the sink? As an everyday thing? I think we may polish it every other year or maybe every three years at best just to make it a bit easier to clean. The appliances get waxed when they're new to keep them from rusting and easier to clean but other than that there's not much polishing going on around here.

I have noticed a correlation between how clean the house is versus how many closets there are. We used to live in a 1911 house with no closets. It didn't have hallways so there wasn't any place for hall closets although some in the bedrooms could have been built. It was constantly messy with things in piles. Then we bought a 1972 house with lots of closets, things were pretty clear and clean, although we rarely polished anything but the wood floors did get waxed occasionally and the windows washed about once a year. Now we've bought a 1952 fixer-upper with about half as many closets as the 1972 house and we are at a half-way level of messiness between the 1911 no closets and 1972 lots of closets.

We're planning on building another house and that one will have LOTS of closets.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 PM

4,773 posts, read 2,178,156 times
I don't judge other people's housekeeping UNLESS they're having me for dinner and we're eating off of dirty dishes, or there is a bad smell permeating the place. Fortunately I haven't run into either situation. I don't automatically blame someone based on gender because you never know who made the mess. I will say it grosses me out if I use the bathroom and there is no toilet paper or soap anywhere to be found, but I haven't experienced that with a male-female couple--just seen it in my early twenties in either an all-male or coed roommate houses.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM

9,690 posts, read 6,977,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Polish the sink?

I think I'd hand them a sponge and the cleaner and tell them to have at it, if it bothers them that much they feel compelled to criticise it.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:25 PM

11,147 posts, read 20,343,572 times
I try not to judge, but when I'm at someone's house and their toddler keeps falling over the garbage on the floor, it's hard not to think that someone needs to do a better job of picking up.

My house looks like kids are here all day, every day, because they are here all the time. But I can get the whole thing tidied up and company-ready in an hour at the most.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,040,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
This is a poll about reactions to messy houses. I don't mean "hoarder" messy, where the house is literally unsafe, but the kind of messy where things are not put away, the counter might be a little sticky (even if there are no kids), the sink is not polished, cobwebs are seen, etc. The people could be too busy to clean, or they might not even notice that it's messy.

I know a lot of people who are very critical of such homes. If there is a woman living in the house, they usually blame her. So I decided to create a poll about it. For the poll, I am limiting the choices to a house that has one man and one woman living in it. Nothing against other types of household arrangements - I just wanted to keep the poll simple.

Also, for the purposes of this poll, let's assume that the people in the house are not suffering from mental illness, dementia, etc. They could make their house neat and tidy, but they don't bother.

When you step into a messy house, what is your reaction regarding the mess?
Really? I don't know anyone who is critical of messy homes. What kind of people do you hang out with?!

I keep piles. I know where things are in my piles. One pile for work, and another for home stuff. If someone else does not like that, too bad, so sad. I also have pets, so there are muddy paw prints when it rains, fur, scrunched rugs from cats sliding after toys, fur, many many many (did I mention many?) cat toys on the floor, fur, shoes on the floor by the door. The Nutribullet never leaves the island, since I use it every day for my coffee. There may or may not be coffee stains near it, depending on when I wipe down the counter...dishes are placed in the dishwasher every night, and the dishwasher is run about once a week. I don't think I have ever "polished" my sinks...I clean them, but never have "polished". (Do people actually do that...?) I also currently have a spider living in my bathroom. I am leaving him alone, because I have noticed there is a small collection of ant carcasses under his domain, even though I've never seen a live ant in there...I have noticed a cobweb over my stove, too, but I only notice it when I am cooking, but I never want to knock it down when I am cooking, so it remains...oh well. The cats don't seem to mind!

For what that's all worth, none of my friends are critical of each other's houses. We value each other for our friendship, not the way we each keep our homes.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:22 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,473,293 times
OK, just to add something a bit different (weird?).

Where I live, you rarely go into people's houses. I haven't been in my best friends house beyond his basement in probably 2 years. He hasn't been in mine in probably 5 years. About once/year, one of my kids will have someone over but that's about it.

We generally gather in more casual areas in impromptu get-togethers. I'll be working in my shop (remote building) and one person will drive by, see me then stop down. We have a beer. Next person see's us outside so stops down. Within an hour you may have 5-10 people visiting. Start a fire in the fire pit, crank up the outdoor speakers and call it a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House