U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you blame for a messy house?
I blame the man 0 0%
I blame the woman 7 4.64%
I blame them both 61 40.40%
Nobody. I don't judge other people's housekeeping 83 54.97%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,304,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Really? I don't know anyone who is critical of messy homes. What kind of people do you hang out with?!

I keep piles. I know where things are in my piles. One pile for work, and another for home stuff. If someone else does not like that, too bad, so sad. I also have pets, so there are muddy paw prints when it rains, fur, scrunched rugs from cats sliding after toys, fur, many many many (did I mention many?) cat toys on the floor, fur, shoes on the floor by the door. The Nutribullet never leaves the island, since I use it every day for my coffee. There may or may not be coffee stains near it, depending on when I wipe down the counter...dishes are placed in the dishwasher every night, and the dishwasher is run about once a week. I don't think I have ever "polished" my sinks...I clean them, but never have "polished". (Do people actually do that...?) I also currently have a spider living in my bathroom. I am leaving him alone, because I have noticed there is a small collection of ant carcasses under his domain, even though I've never seen a live ant in there...I have noticed a cobweb over my stove, too, but I only notice it when I am cooking, but I never want to knock it down when I am cooking, so it remains...oh well. The cats don't seem to mind!

For what that's all worth, none of my friends are critical of each other's houses. We value each other for our friendship, not the way we each keep our homes.
We not only leave spiders alone, we give 'em names. Seriously, though, we are always happy to see a some spider making itself at home. We know it will soon be feasting on ants or flies. LOL Now if it is a really big, hairy-looking kind of spider, we generally show them the door. Gently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,235,940 times
I blame the cats!!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 PM

21,648 posts, read 14,239,850 times
A house as you describe would not disturb me too much, particularly if I knew the residents well and I loved them.

But, if I walked into a stranger's house and it was pretty messy, and it was dirty, I'd blame both residents, I think. It usually does take two to keep a messy house dirty and messy, IMO. At some point, somebody has to say, "OK, lets clean this place up." But if neither person does, then they both get blame.

But we are not talking shaming here. I would just attribute the dirt and mess to actions or inactions by both of them.

It really is more pleasant for me to step into a tidy, clean house. I am happiest when others step into my house and it is clean and tidy as well.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:29 PM

948 posts, read 1,773,181 times
You missed "blame the kids"....

Old 10-06-2016, 04:56 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,457,594 times
I watch that "Horders" show (or whatever it is called in the US) just to make me feel better about my place.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,457,594 times
At my place you can eat off the floor- just look around a bit you'll find something.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 AM

3,759 posts, read 3,488,362 times
Glad to see that the majority voted "Nobody".

My home's a mess. It's like pulling teeth trying to get others to pick up after themselves and clean up.

My solution is to have regular parties, and we welcome people to be our house guests for the weekend. It forces us to get all the junk mail and papers off the sofa, vacuum up, make the place presentable.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,175,582 times
Mr C is a "collector" of well, ... books, magazines, music related stuff and beer related stuff. I wish we had better organizational skills and could be the handy-man/woman types that I know those who probably criticize us are.

Something is wrong with the dishwasher that we have to eventually call for repair but that will cost $. Would like to have better cabinets and perhaps built-in bookshelves but I know that will cost too. We had out kitchen table cleared off once. I guess that was the time we had kept one of those storage places but quit that for the monthly costs. The house was one of those "open-area floor plans" for family and dining and partially off from the kitchen as well. No wall dividers. Maybe some day when I retire, I can divert my energies and time to fix or make it neater. I joke and say he [Mr C] needs a separate wing off from the house that he can put most of it.

Meanwhile, our county keeps inventing new things that they would like to have that us taxpayers can fork over another $20.00 a month for

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM

14,312 posts, read 7,880,761 times
I think everyone has a messy house from time to time. I know how bad ours gets when we're knee deep in a project. I voted for both because the two of us live here, therefore, twice the mess.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,130,414 times
My wife happens to be a hoarder and it's very difficult for me to live that situation. Fortunately she is not dirty, but I don't even want to imagine the amount of dust there is under the mounds of things she hoards. Fortunately I'm here to limit her worst excesses, but it has all but put to an end to our social life since we can't invite people to have dinner home anymore (she doesn't want to herself out of shame). Sure I dust and clean meticulously the parts of our apartment that aren't totally clustered, but it doesn't change the fact that she needs to see a shrink to help fight her disastrous habit. Unfortunately she is in denial and refuses flatly to get a cure. I have no solution to that predicament right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House