Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:33 PM

88 posts, read 524,062 times

Advertisements

We haven't had an inspection yet but wanted to start the thread so that I can ask the right question to the inspector. We have lived in a townhome where HOA covers everything external and hence never paid attention to these things. Hence your help is appreciated.

The house was built in 2001.

Roof: Its a composition roof which the agent believes is probably 30-yr roof and mentioned that it will need to be changed in 3-5 years because the life is generally 20 years and is shorter in Pacific Northwest. I think she is correct but checking to confirm here. Should I expect to change the roof in 2-3 years?

Sloping crawl space. The house is on a slope and has a basement. The lot is sloped and my agent pointed out to an area on the side of the house that was simply ground and dust and she mentioned that it will wash off, so we have to setup something permanent there like stairs or concrete to prevent the wash off. She did not provide more details as it was going outside her domain of expertise.

How much of a concern is this?
Should I be looking for something specific or asking the inspector something specific when he inspects the crawl space?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:48 PM

17,435 posts, read 65,668,405 times
First; let's clarify-

Is the house on a basement, or crawl space?

Secondly, if an agent is speaking outside the realm of "their expertise" why open your mouth in the first? I hating beating this dead horse- RE agents need to sell and offer advice that is pertinent to the sell- location, comp's, contracts, etc.- if landscaping and erosion control are not in their wheelhouse- immediately defer to an expert- i.e.; inspector/engineer. The mere fact that they propose this or that tells me they're liable to say anything for the sale.

All of your questions should be directed to the private inspector YOU hire- not one suggested by your RE agent. They should be quite versed at your questions and give reasonable answers/descriptions that a lay-person should be able to understand.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First; let's clarify-

Is the house on a basement, or crawl space?
Thanks. The house has a basement and then there is crawl space under the basement. The basement opens to the yard on one side. Not sure my description makes sense.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,981,591 times
Wait--there is a crawl space under the basement? Why?

As to your other concerns, put them in the form of queries, find your own inspector (not the realtor's recommendation) and have the inspector check them.

Yes, if your house is on a slope, without vegetation, the dirt will erode. But, how has this not happened in the past 15 years?

If the house was built in 2001, and the realtor thinks it will need an new roof in a few years, it sounds like a 20 year old roof. Have the inspector look at it, and also have him check to see if it needs to be demossed. (Seller should pay for this, if it is necessary, I think.) And the seller should know if it is a 20 year or a 30 year roof. This should be disclosed. But, the inspector should check.

Also get a termite inspection.

And have the inspector inspect all exterior railings. Find out what he normally inspects, and then make sure he looks at things you are specifically concerned about as well.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 AM

22,331 posts, read 47,280,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnowWhyIDidIt View Post
Thanks. The house has a basement and then there is crawl space under the basement. The basement opens to the yard on one side. Not sure my description makes sense.
I have never heard of a crawl space UNDER a basement.
So you have two underground levels?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,809,109 times
More than likely this is a walkout basement on piers. WE have a builder here from Minnesota that is building houses like this. Strange, but he builds a good house.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,568,159 times
If you like the house make an offer. Then when the inspector comes in you can decide whether it's something worth proceeding with or not and they should be able to give you a better idea of the scope of work and what they expect the cost to be.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 AM

436 posts, read 517,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnowWhyIDidIt View Post
The lot is sloped and my agent pointed out to an area on the side of the house that was simply ground and dust and she mentioned that it will wash off, so we have to setup something permanent there like stairs or concrete to prevent the wash off. She did not provide more details as it was going outside her domain of expertise.
I can't visualize what you're describing but in terms of the ground washing away, can you tell if there has been any erosion to this point? It sounds like it just normal soil on a slope and by concrete or stairs you mean potentially building a retaining wall...? Not sure...

My point is, also think about getting plants in there when you're making your final plans. Plants that root well can hold the soil and help prevent erosion.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,111,084 times
Definitely pay for a good housing inspection, and point these issues out. Might even be worth having a couple of estimates prepared by companies that deal with this....and use it to bargain the house price down. If you are still interested after hearing what the repair companies have to say.

I'd definitely be concerned about that corner....Missing footing?? A roof that is near the end of it's life is definitely going to need replacing. An insurance estimate might give you some insight into how soon. I'd say likely it needs it now. Yet another bargaining tool.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
More than likely this is a walkout basement on piers. WE have a builder here from Minnesota that is building houses like this. Strange, but he builds a good house.

That is correct. It is a daylight basement with a walkout to the yard and on piers. Because it is on a slope, there is a crawl space on some part below the basement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House