Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 06:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times

Advertisements

In a house down the road there were contractors installing a new roof. The old one was in good shape. The reason I'm questioning it, it's because they left the old roof undisturbed, put new plywood on top of it, and proceeded like it was a new installation.

Is that right? Why would they resort to do that? It doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 06:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
I would call the local fire department or the buildings department.

Putting new plywood on top of an existing roof is dangerous due to the additional weight.

Are you sure this is what they are doing?

Old 10-08-2016, 07:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
Why would they resort to do that?
Cheap. More than likely the place will be up for sale to some unsuspecting guy who will be stuck with this mess.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I would call the local fire department or the buildings department.

Putting new plywood on top of an existing roof is dangerous due to the additional weight.

Are you sure this is what they are doing?
Yes, I'm sure. I drive down the road daily, so I saw the complete process. I was concerned about the weight too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Cheap. More than likely the place will be up for sale to some unsuspecting guy who will be stuck with this mess.
Yes, I'm pretty sure they're fixing the house to sell. But the roof, while wasn't new, was not in bad shape. Do they do this to be done faster? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just install another layer of shingles?

Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I would check with the local city building permits and inspection department about building codes. No one in their right mind would want to have this type of work done without removing the old roofing first before the plywood was placed (if it was needed). Assuming this is an asphalt shingled roof.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I think your occipital lobe experienced what is called a "figmentation of your imagination".

Then again, stranger things have occurred.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:54 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP are you sure, or did you see the original plywood after they took off the old shingles which is normal.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 AM

I'm completely sure they just installed the plywood over the existing shingles. I saw the whole process and since I was surprised by what I saw at the beginning, I paid extra attention (I couldn't believe what I was seeing).

Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Yes, I'm sure. I drive down the road daily, so I saw the complete process. I was concerned about the weight too.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're fixing the house to sell. But the roof, while wasn't new, was not in bad shape. Do they do this to be done faster? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just install another layer of shingles?
I think legally you can only have 3 layers of shingles on a home because of the weight.. but if they added plywood over the existing shingles the weight of that is going to be enormous on that structure.

I'm not one of those neighbors usually but in a case like this I'd inform someone, or some agency and have them check the roof to make sure it's done correctly. That's dangerous for the new buyers and could get someone killed.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Check to see if a permit was pulled for this work. If so, an inspector must inspect the finished product. They should be able to see if there is a second layer of plywood.

If no permits, I would contact the agency and report the problem...if you want to get that involved in a neighbors business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House